Setlist disappointment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicholsfornixon

The Fly
Although there were some really great things about yesterday's setlist, I must say I'm disappointed overall. Here are my thoughts for each song.

1. City of Blinding Lights--I was really happy when I saw that they opened with this. Very bold, different than what we would've expected before Saturday's dress rehearsal.

2. Vertigo--Cool. Way to hit the ground running, U2. Two cool rockers right out of the gate. So far so good.

3. The Electric Co.--So awsome.

4. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart--U2 is still impressing me. I think it's so exciting that they included so many Boy songs.

5. Beautiful Day--Another classic song that sounds great live.

6. New Year's Day--This is the first song on the setlist that is a disappointment. Honestly, this song has never been one of my favorites so maybe I'm biased, but I just wish they would've chosen something else to go in this spot.

7. Miracle Drug--So pretty....

8. Sometimes You Can't Make It--Sad and lovely.

9. Love and Peace--Reminds us just how much U2 rocks.

10. Sunday Bloody Sunday--Ugh. Love the song, but I've just heard a few too many times. On top of that, U2 seems to have played this song a few too many times. Haven't heard the version they played yesterday, but the song definately stopped sounding fresh in about 1990.

11. Bullet the Blue Sky--Why oh why must they keep playing this song?!? I really don't get it. There are so many other songs in the U2 songbook that slaughter Bullet. Even Until the End of the World would've been a more welcome addition. This is just a wasted spot on the setlist as far as I'm concerned.

12. Running to Stand Still--Ahhh. Now that's more like it.

13. Zoo Station--YESSS!

14. The Fly--Great song, great that it made it onto the setlist.

15. Elevation--Another wasted spot on the setlist. They could've put another classic here. With or Without You, I Still Haven't Found, Bad. None of those made the cut, but this mediocre song did. Whatever.

16. Pride--I don't have any serious complaints about Pride. I'm not as tired of it as some other people, but I still would rather see them include one of the exceptional classics that got snubbed in this setlist.

17. Where the Streets Have No Name--This song is always good no matter where it appears in the setlist.

18. One--Same as Streets.

19. All Because of You--Seems oddly placed, but whatever. Still a great song.

20. Yahweh--Great song. Perfect for the encore.

21. 40--Just beautiful.

Although some elements of this set list are inspired, I still feel like they left out so many of their great songs in favor of some of their less impressive songs. I'd really like to see them drop Bullet, Pride, NYD, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Elevation and rotate in Stuck in a Moment, Even Better Than the Real Thing, I Still Haven't Found, With or Without You, and/or Bad.

Of course, now that I've written all this I realize that I'm not nearly as disappointed in reality as I'm making this all sound. It was an OK setlist that could easily be great with a few tweaks here and there.

Anybody else feel the same way?

I agree with everything you say.
I have the feeling this setlist won't last.

nicholsfornixon said:
Although there were some really great things about yesterday's setlist, I must say I'm disappointed overall. Here are my thoughts for each song.
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday--Ugh. Love the song, but I've just heard a few too many times. On top of that, U2 seems to have played this song a few too many times. Haven't heard the version they played yesterday, but the song definately stopped sounding fresh in about 1990.

11. Bullet the Blue Sky--Why oh why must they keep playing this song?!? I really don't get it. There are so many other songs in the U2 songbook that slaughter Bullet. Even Until the End of the World would've been a more welcome addition. This is just a wasted spot on the setlist as far as I'm concerned.

15. Elevation--Another wasted spot on the setlist. They could've put another classic here. With or Without You, I Still Haven't Found, Bad. None of those made the cut, but this mediocre song did. Whatever.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - you say the song is not fresh, and then you say that you haven't heard that 'version'.

Bullet - Notice how they played it after LAPOE and SBS....it's the political part of the concert. They keep playing it because it is still relevant.

Elevation - real crowd rocker. WOWY and Bad would have sounded Bad in between The Fly and Pride.

actually, I like the set alot except for the 3 songs you cited:
elevation
bullet
nyd

man, I'd love to hear some other things than those.

nicholsfornixon said:

1. City of Blinding Lights--I was really happy when I saw that they opened with this. Very bold, different than what we would've expected before Saturday's dress rehearsal.

2. Vertigo--Cool. Way to hit the ground running, U2. Two cool rockers right out of the gate. So far so good.

3. The Electric Co.--So awsome.

4. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart--U2 is still impressing me. I think it's so exciting that they included so many Boy songs.

5. Beautiful Day--Another classic song that sounds great live.

6. New Year's Day--This is the first song on the setlist that is a disappointment. Honestly, this song has never been one of my favorites so maybe I'm biased, but I just wish they would've chosen something else to go in this spot.

7. Miracle Drug--So pretty....

8. Sometimes You Can't Make It--Sad and lovely.

9. Love and Peace--Reminds us just how much U2 rocks.

12. Running to Stand Still--Ahhh. Now that's more like it.

13. Zoo Station--YESSS!

14. The Fly--Great song, great that it made it onto the setlist.

16. Pride--I don't have any serious complaints about Pride. I'm not as tired of it as some other people, but I still would rather see them include one of the exceptional classics that got snubbed in this setlist.

17. Where the Streets Have No Name--This song is always good no matter where it appears in the setlist.

18. One--Same as Streets.

19. All Because of You--Seems oddly placed, but whatever. Still a great song.

20. Yahweh--Great song. Perfect for the encore.

21. 40--Just beautiful.

Wow, I agree with everything you said except Bullet. I really think playing it with LAPOE works and I don't mind SBS in this little trilogy either, but I wouldn't miss it either.

But NYD and Elevation have no place in a setlist today, and I miss Bad.

JOFO said:
actually, I like the set alot except for the 3 songs you cited:
elevation
bullet
nyd

man, I'd love to hear some other things than those.

Yeah, but arent you guys really splitting hairs here?? You didnt care for the selection of 3 songs out of 20 and felt the need to "sort of" complain about it?? :scratch:

Sure, I wouldnt mind if Bullet and NYD werent done either. But there are just as high of a percentage of people that would be upset if they didnt play NYD, Pride, Bullet. I give U2 tremendous credit so far. They didnt just stick to the mainstay "hits" this time. I just dont see much to be critical of or complain about. :shrug:

Now, if they get stuck in a rut and play the same songs in the same or similiar order almost every night. That is worthy of criticism. I probebly wont be, but I can understand why people would be critical at that point. Especially considering the number of multiple night stands in alot of cities this time.

Last edited:
Yes, Nicholsfornixon, I can see what you're saying, and definitely agree that with a few tweaks, it could have been an incredible setlist, not just 'very good'.

What needed to be played, I feel:

'Crumbs From Your Table': This is probably my favourite rock song on the new album.

'Until the End of the World': I thought this would be a staple for every show - it is a song with a magical capacity to never get old, no matter how many listens - and always get better live, no matter how many times it's played!

'Gone': Pop isn't the most popular album concerning fans and critics, but this song is simply one of the best U2 songs from the 90's.

'Even Better than the Real Thing' and 'Walk On' - lastly, these two songs should have been included.

It's great that they played some classic relics, but they could have taken out a couple 'Boy' songs, New Years Day, Pride - etc., to accomodate these musical necessities!

disco2blue said:
Yes, Nicholsfornixon, I can see what you're saying, and definitely agree that with a few tweaks, it could have been an incredible setlist, not just 'very good'.

What needed to be played, I feel:

'Crumbs From Your Table': This is probably my favourite rock song on the new album.

'Until the End of the World': I thought this would be a staple for every show - it is a song with a magical capacity to never get old, no matter how many listens - and always get better live, no matter how many times it's played!

'Gone': Pop isn't the most popular album concerning fans and critics, but this song is simply one of the best U2 songs from the 90's.

'Even Better than the Real Thing' and 'Walk On' - lastly, these two songs should have been included.

It's great that they played some classic relics, but they could have taken out a couple 'Boy' songs, New Years Day, Pride - etc., to accomodate these musical necessities!

I agree with you about Crumbs, but nothing else. None of those songs are musts. Obviously they arent because they didnt get played. To want Even Better Than the Real Thing over Electric Co??? Sorry, no f***ing way! :lol:

Re: Re: Setlist disappointment

unosdostres14 said:

Sunday Bloody Sunday - you say the song is not fresh, and then you say that you haven't heard that 'version'.

I am not a big Sunday Bloody Sunday fan either but I swear the audience goes nuts everytime they play it and last night was no exception. So even though I tend to groan when I see it's being played, in reality it always kicks ass.

I don't understand why anyone is disappointed with the set-list , I'm quite excited about it , there is alot of good songs being played. You have to remember too the band has only played one offical show on this tour.:eyebrow:

Re: Re: Setlist disappointment

unosdostres14 said:

Bullet - Notice how they played it after LAPOE and SBS....it's the political part of the concert. They keep playing it because it is still relevant.

Elevation - real crowd rocker. WOWY and Bad would have sounded Bad in between The Fly and Pride.

What I meant when I said that I haven't heard 'that version' was that I don't know if they did anything radically different with the song. Even then, I doubt there is much they could to Sunday Bloody Sunday to make it fresh again, except of course for giving it a rest for a few tours.

And yes, I did notice that Love and Peace, Bullet, and Sunday Bloody Sunday made up the political part of the concert. I just don't care. So what if Bullet is relevant? I'm sick of hearing it.

Elevation made sense last tour as All That You Can't Leave Behind was the album being promoted and Elevation was the resident rocker off of that album. Now that U2 is promoting a new album that is full of songs that rock harder than Elevation, that song has been rendered obsolete. However, I read that Bono and Co. weren't very happy with Elevation yesterday. Maybe they'll cut it from the set.

However, lest anyone think I'm a total complainer I would like to reiterate my complete excitement over the inclusion of Electric Co., Running to Stand Still, and Zoo Station.

They should KEEP playing Bullet the Blue Sky if Edge is gonna start changing up the solo like he did the first night. The San Diego solo was different from what we've heard so far in the past IMO. I can understand them playing SBS cuz it does get the hugest cheers to be honest.

I like the enjoy the BOY retrospective even if they're playing songs like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart. It gives me hope that might play some cool oldies.

I was at the show and the only part of the set that didn't blow me away was Pride - Streets - One - All Because of You.

The first three are so overplayed that they bored me, and while I really like ABOY, I don't like the way Bono is singing it live. On the album the vocal is so smooth. I think it plays well against the music, but live he isn't doing that, so I don't really care for the way they are playing it.

Otherwise the set was amazing!

I could handle: Kite, Bad, Original of the Species, Gloria.
But no matter, please don't lose this section: LAPOE< SBS< BTBS< RTSS . . . .
Loved: Electric Co. but: could trade An Cat Dubh for something off Pop like Please or Wake Up Dead Man . . .
I just hope they keep this idea of changing setlists frequently.
love, Anu

I love Bullet The Blue Sky. It's the one song where the Edge goes mad and lets loose on his guitar (since Lovetown, at least).

I really don't like the end of Bullet the blue sky..... it was so good and so agressive during ZOO TV and even Elevation.... and now it gets boring and slow. It seems that they don't know what to do with the song, they want to change it but fail!

For the rest, I haven't heard anything....:sad:

What differs Bullet the Blue Sky from other "overplayed" songs like Pride, I Still Haven't Found, Sunday, With or Without You...?
Because it's different every tour. And it's fresh every time I hear it. And I think it's one of the best rock songs ever.
So, Bullet is for me a concert staple. Don't drop it, U2!
I loved the setlist, although I would drop Pride(for reasons stated above) and Elevation(God, why?).

Blue Room said:

Yeah, but arent you guys really splitting hairs here?? You didnt care for the selection of 3 songs out of 20 and felt the need to "sort of" complain about it?? :scratch:

ah fuck, I'm sorry, I forgot you're not allowed to express an opinion on anything unless it's completely positive.

Yahweh_OMG said:
I really don't like the end of Bullet the blue sky..... it was so good and so agressive during ZOO TV and even Elevation.... and now it gets boring and slow. It seems that they don't know what to do with the song, they want to change it but fail!

I strongly disagree. The more I listen to the San Diego Bullet, the more I realize how much this performance is different than the previous ones. It's not just Edge significantly changed his guitar work in the second part of the song; the feel is different. It's very haunting, almost sad. It's like Bono doesn't have strength for any more anger, it's like a sign of desperation(especially in that "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" snippet).

SBS gets cheers because people recognize it.

That doesn't mean that, artistically, it's the best choice.

The version from Monday night was not particularly good. It was played much, much better on most Elevation gigs, and don't even get me started on how much better it was in '83, '85 or '87.

I get the thematic connection from LAPOE to SBS, and in my guesstimated setlist, I had that transition. However, I think if they can't put more juice into SBS than they did Monday, then they either need to radically alter the arrangement, or kick it.

Part of the problem Monday seemed to be that the band was a little tentative, and that Bono was way below par. As he gains his confidence and as long as he has vocal power, the show will improve significantly. He sounded a bit lost the other night.

broken toy said:

Part of the problem Monday seemed to be that the band was a little tentative, and that Bono was way below par. As he gains his confidence and as long as he has vocal power, the show will improve significantly. He sounded a bit lost the other night.

he didn't seem to think so though, did he?

http://forum.interference.com/t120439.html

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Hey, I wasn't there. I'm just going by how the recording sounds... and when you don't have the visuals and all the surrounding energy to wow you, you can focus more on the little screwups. Bono *was* off on many lyrics and a few entrances.

I'm quite glad he enjoyed himself, however.

I disagree...except for Elevation, they should scrap that mediocre song for something like Out Of Control or Gloria (if they want to get the crowd going). There's nothing wrong with New Years Day and Bullet The Blue Sky - although I just cannot for the life of me understand why they've chosen to leave out Bad. I think Gone would of been nice as well as Acrobat - and while they're at it why not "go back" to something like I Threw A Brick Through A Window or Tomorrow. And where oh where is The Unforgettable Fire - now that would be nice.

I wonder if the fact that U2 was so under-rehearsed is why they chose to include Elevation, Pride, and New Year's Day in the setlist. They might have decided to go with songs that they've played a lot in the recent past. Maybe tonight they'll drop those songs and replace them with others.

JOFO said:

ah fuck, I'm sorry, I forgot you're not allowed to express an opinion on anything unless it's completely positive.

:lol: chill man, did you read my entire post?? I just dont get wasting your energy bitching because you didnt like the selection of 3 songs?? Maybe thats just me, I apologize. BITCH up a storm!!! To me though it looks like some people criticize because they just like to talk or draw attention. Not saying the case for you, but again, what was the point of bitching about 3 songs out of 20 again???? :shrug:

I just think if people are going to be critical about the band, find something worthy of criticism. Thats all. Like the lottery thing. I dont mind it, but I can see why people are being critical of it. That is something major.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

:lol: chill man, did you read my entire post?? I just dont get wasting your energy bitching because you didnt like the selection of 3 songs?? Maybe thats just me, I apologize. BITCH up a storm!!! To me though it looks like some people criticize because they just like to talk or draw attention. Not saying the case for you, but again, what was the point of bitching about 3 songs out of 20 again???? :shrug:

I just think if people are going to be critical about the band, find something worthy of criticism. Thats all. Like the lottery thing. I dont mind it, but I can see why people are being critical of it. That is something major.

dude, it's cool; here's the deal: I personally am not "bitching". What I realized is that it's nearly impossible on an internet message board to read things the way people intend to convey them. Meaning: I think the setlist is great. Personally, I don't care for 2 or 3 songs and would prefer others, but so what? I'm not losing sleep over it. but I don't consider it "wasting time" by agreeing with someone that I don't like the same 2 or 3 songs they don't.
I think it's hard to put into words on a computer that I'm loving the fact that they're on tour, but I just don't care for a couple of songs.
The same way that some people (not you) come across as total kiss-asses for everything this band does. I'm sure they're not the mindless love-slaves they come across as; they're just expressing enthusiasm.

peace.:wink:

Seriously.

This is getting exhausting.

People bitching and whining about the setlist. Look guys, everybody has different taste, different favorites.

new year's day is one of U2's classics, one of their best songs, a fan favorite.

Just because you dont like it, is not cause for "dissapointment"

swissair135 said:
Seriously.

This is getting exhausting.

People bitching and whining about the setlist. Look guys, everybody has different taste, different favorites.

new year's day is one of U2's classics, one of their best songs, a fan favorite.

Just because you dont like it, is not cause for "dissapointment"

Amen..

It's a tremendous song that they obviously enjoy playing.

Fan reaction is always very positive when Larry and Adam kick into it.

Back
Top Bottom