Melbourne Meet Up thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alisaura said:

*also makes note of TranceEnding's pic for Nick Cave thing tomorrow* :wink:

Ali, I hope you get this in time ... but I'm not gonna go tonight :sad: I have the crookness in my guts :yuck: I actually went home a little early today from work and am now getting stuck into the peppermint tea!

I'm really sorry!!!!!! but I am looking forward to Sunday though!

I am bummed out :(

Though ... I did order a ticket for Porcupine Tree :ohmy:

Plan right now is to meet at 1pm Sunday outside Spencer Street Station at the intersection of Spencer and Bourke Streets, then proceed up to Flagstaff Gardens for picnicking and whatnot. I'll bring some muffins and any U2 stuff I have time to find. Not sure what anybody else plans to bring.

Axver said:
Ali, I do hope that by "kinda tall", you do not mean "makes 5'6-7" Axver feel very short" in the same way the obnoxiously 6'5" or so bono_man2002 does whenever he comes to Melbourne!

And frustratingly, they're forecasting 31 degrees for Sunday. Ugh. I won't be wearing a U2 shirt then. I'll need long sleeves to shade my arms. But all you really need to look for is my hair. :wink :
By "kinda tall", I mean close enough to 6' in my shoes... nowhere near bono_man2002's lofty heights!

I wasn't very concerned about whether I'd recognise you, Ax.... :wink:

TranceEnding said:
Ali, I hope you get this in time ... but I'm not gonna go tonight : sad: I have the crookness in my guts : yuck: I actually went home a little early today from work and am now getting stuck into the peppermint tea!

I'm really sorry!!!!!! but I am looking forward to Sunday though!
It's okay! I didn't see this until now (no net at work :madwife: ), but I was running late getting to the arts centre anyway, and I also had no idea where this talk would be taking place, so I just gave up and wandered around the exhibition for a while. There are pics by Anton Corbijn there :wink:

Don't feel bad :hug: I was wondering all day if I'd have the courage to walk up to someone who looked a bit like your pic and go "Um, hi, are you TranceEnding?" ..... :lol: :reject:

Hope you feel better!

Anyway, roll on Sunday! :rockon:
I don't mind bringing something, but I've no idea what... :scratch: Fruit?

Alisaura said:
By "kinda tall", I mean close enough to 6' in my shoes... nowhere near bono_man2002's lofty heights!

I wasn't very concerned about whether I'd recognise you, Ax.... :wink:

:lol: Yeah, I stand out in a crowd!

Well, 6' sounds OK, I won't feel like too much of a shortie then. But bm2002 better watch his back, because he could stand to lose a few inches. :wink:

Anyway, roll on Sunday! :rockon:
I don't mind bringing something, but I've no idea what... :scratch: Fruit?

Maybe we should just buy our own food in the city? Not that I can think of what's around Spencer Street Station besides a Hungry Jack's!

I'll still bring muffins though, and I sense we have a stark lack of booze. :wink:

*imagines bm2002 having to keep his vertebrae numbered*... :giggle:

There's a Krispy Kreme place on Collins street :evil:... and a bunch of other cafe type places there, although that's in kinda the wrong direction. My vague memories of staying at that end of town for the concerts tell me that most of the food is down Collins st. way, but there are a few places along... gah... is it Lonsdale or LaTrobe street? I always get those two mixed up.
I think there's a pub further up Spencer street too... we had to go there to use the loo once when I was working in a building on Batman street and our water got cut off.

Well, I'm tired and rambling too much... I have no objection to scrounging for food in the city somewhere. :) If all else fails, I can grab something on the way up there.

And I'll be driving, so no booze for me :wink:

Last edited:
I wonder if there's a Subway around? I'm normally not a fast food guy, but I like their stuff and that'd be really easy. Eh, I'm sure we'll find something. It's Melbourne. Throw a rock in the air; you'll hit somebody cooking. Or, hell, we could just buy chips and biscuits from a 7-11 and be really unhealthy. Fat Bono with his 40 foot arse would approve. :wink:

And I didn't mean enough booze to get plastered! :lol: I've actually never been drunk in my life. Though I suppose being drunk and being over the legal blood-alcohol level are two different things. Still, this is Australia - what gathering is complete without booze? Hehe.

Well, I've never been properly drunk in my life either... and if I never have a hangover, I'll be happy! I honestly don't know how many drinks it takes to put me over the limit, but I'm thin so I don't want to risk it. And also, I don't like wine or beer, and I can't see me swigging from a bottle of kahlua in a park, so... :wink:

I thought the 40-foot Bono arse was just the IMAX screen version.... :lol:

Righto, definitely bed time!! :wave:

You ... don't like wine? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to do something to fix this. :wink: I grew up drinking wine; my father is a wine connossieur and his wine tasting team were Kiwi champions once. So, yeah, I rather like the stuff. Not a beer fan though.

I've got a very strong alcohol tolerance, but I don't risk things either. If I know I'm going to have a few glasses of wine in a day, I'll drink rivers of water too and space things out. A hangover doesn't sound appealling to me. I have a hard enough time waking up most days as it is!

I suppose I should grab some sleep too. G'night! :wave:

Wine is disgusting, especially red wine. Horrible. I'll scarcely go near Mum's sweet wine.

I've just gotta figure out an excuse for going in to the city.

Axver said:
You ... don't like wine? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to do something to fix this. :wink: I grew up drinking wine; my father is a wine connossieur and his wine tasting team were Kiwi champions once. So, yeah, I rather like the stuff. Not a beer fan though.
Some friends I was staying with in Scotland had similar ideas to converting me... they made me try a sweet dessert wine which I admit I could drink, if I had to, but I can't say I really liked it.

I think people just want to laugh at me making that :yuck: face every time I try wine... :tsk:

C'mon, tasting a good wine is possibly one of the best experiences around! But then again I'm Chinese, so my life does tend to revolve around enjoying food and drink...

It's funny how the threads involving Australians in the more, uh, off-topic forums have all involved alcohol: (see: Zoo Confessional's random confessions thread).

Why don't each of you bring a random cultural food and try to convert each other to it or something like that?

COBL_04 said:
I've just gotta figure out an excuse for going in to the city.

Adam Clayton's signing autographs at Spencer Street Station. Just get a photo with me and put it beside the October album sleeve. Nobody will be any the wiser.

major_panic said:
It's funny how the threads involving Australians in the more, uh, off-topic forums have all involved alcohol: (see: Zoo Confessional's random confessions thread).

I was under the distinct impression that in Australia, it is not actually physically possible to do anything without some sort of booze connection. :wink:

Why don't each of you bring a random cultural food and try to convert each other to it or something like that?

I don't really feel like cooking chicken in a hole in the earth for six hours! Not sure the groundskeepers at Flagstaff Gardens would be too impressed if I tried to do a hangi there either.

But that'd be Maori, and I'm a boring Pakeha.

I'm sure we wouldn't have to look far if we wanted a Greek or Italian experience though. :wink:

Axver said:
I was under the distinct impression that in Australia, it is not actually physically possible to do anything without some sort of booze connection. :wink:
:tongue: Shame on you for believing stereotypes... Although I admit I'm an atypical Aussie. Don't like beer, don't like cricket, am largely indifferent to football.

I'm sure we wouldn't have to look far if we wanted a Greek or Italian experience though. :wink:
Lygon St.... :drool:
No idea how to get there from Flagstaff though :lol:

Hey you crazy kids! :wink:

Finally home from work now ... 5 days off ahead of me now.. woo! :hyper: I feel like I'm holidays!!

Anyway, just checking in to see if everything is cool for tomorrow :D I think it's gonna be a fun day!

I haven't prepared any food or anything like that .. but I'm sure we'll find some tasty nibblies in town somewhere :) Mmmm .. this thread is making me hungry now! I was thinking about this felafel place down Acland Street in St Kilda (closeby to the yoga place I go to) .... soooooo delicious (ooh, I'm vegetarian by the way!) I was thinking about treating everyone one and bringing them into town with me ... but they'll probably be all soggy by that time, LOL!

All you crazy people that don't like wine! What is wrong with you!!! :shame: :wink: I'm not the world's biggest boozer by any means, but I do loooooove a lovely glass of sav blanc (or three!) occassionally :drool:

Anyhooooo ... I should go and dig out a few of my old U2 relics and collectables to bring along tomorrow! I just hope I can find some stuff!

Just a quick post, as I've got to go cook dinner and such before heading out to Explosions In The Sky later. This is all sounding good! I'll have to dig up some U2 stuff tomorrow morning before I come in. I'll check in on the thread tomorrow morning, but by the sounds of things, it'll be happening! :hyper: Even if it's only a handful of us, heh. AchtungGirl219 and COBL, are you in? If either of you are, it'd probably be a good idea to e-mail me your mobile phone number in case anything happens: amakaxver[at]gmail.com :)

See you all tomorrow at 1pm, corner Spencer and Bourke! :wave:

Hey everyone! :wave:

Am just about to email you, Axver! :) Hope you're enjoying the gig! :D

The SAT prep I'm working on for my Year 11's is taking much longer than anticipated... :( but I'm still hoping to make it... Can I let you guys know for sure tomorrow morning??? I'm so sorry... I really hope I can come; I'm really looking foward to this!! :)

Last edited:
Alisaura said:
Well, I've never been properly drunk in my life either... and if I never have a hangover, I'll be happy! I honestly don't know how many drinks it takes to put me over the limit, but I'm thin so I don't want to risk it. And also, I don't like wine or beer, and I can't see me swigging from a bottle of kahlua in a park, so... :wink:

I thought the 40-foot Bono arse was just the IMAX screen version.... :lol:

Righto, definitely bed time!! :wave:

I don't drink at all... so I've never been drunk either! :)

Holy SHIT what a gig. Now, we all know that especially in the early days, U2 were full of energy live, especially Bono, right? Explosions In The Sky just made early U2 look fat, lazy, and slow. I've never seen four guys pour themselves so intensely into their music. Wow. That was mindblowing.

I hope you can make it, AchtungGirl219! If you don't get your work done, bring it along and we can finish it as a group activity, full of U2 trivia to educate the kids about good music. :wink:

Now that'd be a curriculum I'd enjoy.

Hey guys, I have to apologise profusely once again, but a bed has just become available for my Nan in her new Nursing Home and we are moving her in today. I spoke to my parents, explaining how I was meeting friends in the city, but it's all hands on deck.

Very sorry everyone, but let me say nothing will stand in the way of U23D.

:banghead:

Looks like it'll be a small gathering, but I'm sure we'll have fun. :)

I suppose I better start getting my stuff ready. Still got half an hour before I have to walk out the door though!

Well, I had a great time and I hope the other two did too. It was really great meeting them and they're both lovely people. We talked for over 3 hours! It was insane. I initially didn't believe it when I looked at my watch and realised what the time was.

Also, I'm a complete fool. I had my camera with me, I photographed trains, I even showed Alison pictures of my One Tree Hill single on it (can't remember if I showed that to Melissa too?), but, uh, no photos of us. :reject:

I completely forgot my camera! :ohmy:

Thank you to Ax & Ali for a really lovely afternoon :D I'm so sorry I left you guys waiting so long!! It was so cool to meet you though :hug: I hope we can all catch up again soon! I think the 3D movie will be especially fun ... I'm so looking forward to that now :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom