Pearl Jam Discussion Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I nearly shit myself just reading that, but my main impression was those two lines are better than the actual U2 song, because instead of it being this saccharine bullshit, it's actually quite dark... like a man at rock bottom and he's either got this twisted view that his partner is still the centre of his world after all the harm she's done him, or a man holding on to this tiny glimmer of hope in the darkness.

U2 used to be quite good at that. Ironic.
Twas my impression as well

Seeing them tonight, second of the "hometown" shows. It's going to be a blast, but I'm already anxious about the fucking chaos of stadium show entry.

Sure, I can only bring a wallet-sized purse into this venue tonight because SAFETY or whatever, but let's cram 20,000 people at the entrances of a stadium with no organization, no semblance of lines, and no ability to move. Nah, that's not a target for any crazy asshole with a gun or a truck. The real threat is me not being able to stash my sunglasses in a reasonably-sized purse once the sun goes down.

ANYWAY.

Pearl Jam! Hometown show! Whoo!

Seeing them tonight, second of the "hometown" shows. It's going to be a blast, but I'm already anxious about the fucking chaos of stadium show entry.

Sure, I can only bring a wallet-sized purse into this venue tonight because SAFETY or whatever, but let's cram 20,000 people at the entrances of a stadium with no organization, no semblance of lines, and no ability to move. Nah, that's not a target for any crazy asshole with a gun or a truck. The real threat is me not being able to stash my sunglasses in a reasonably-sized purse once the sun goes down.

ANYWAY.

Pearl Jam! Hometown show! Whoo!
Are you on the list? You can't get close unless you're on the list

Oh wait.

The entry was actually great. They apparently learned from Wednesday's show, and past events here. Almost time, let's gooooooo!

First hour was great, I lost a little steam second hour, we are closing hour three in the second hour and it's pretty great.

Re-listening to some PJ in the run up to the show. I wore out TEN when I was a kid and haven't listened to it in years because, you know, I've heard it a million times and memorized it and I've seen them play all the songs live, etc.

It really is still a great album. The guitar tones are fucking sharp and menacing and varied throughout. Jeff's bass playing is so crucial and stands out more than it does on a lot of the other albums.

"Once" is such a classic opener. And "Deep" stood out to me a lot on this listen. Love how it tells a different little story in each of the three verses.

Depicting or wishing violence on Trump means you are just "another example of the outrageous left."

Depicting or wishing violence on Hillary Clinton means you are either a) the president; or b) get invited to the White House and be a guest talking head on Fox News.

Good for PJ. I'm sick of the Michelle Obama "When they go low, we go high" bullshit, because $2.99 and that mentality gets you a Happy Meal and not much else these days.

It seems like a lot of people forgot that this is a band that displayed W's head on a stick many times during their shows.

Considering that our current president is doing his darnedest to sabotage the world, PJ took it easy on him.

How brave of another extremely popular and rich mainstream artist to do the bare minimum.

Obviously the criticism is pathetic, but so is a bit of the praise to be honest. Pearl Jam, U2, Roger Waters, Springsteen, that's four that come to my mind immediately.

It seems like a lot of people forgot that this is a band that displayed W's head on a stick many times during their shows.

That stupid "Bush's head on a stick" rhetoric is off base.
Eddie wore the Bush mask at the beginning of Bushleaguer, then took it off and hung it on his mic stand so he could sing to it (and sometimes pour some wine into its mouth or put a cigarette in it). He didn't impale it on a stick like some folks claimed (and I know Long island was where it was quite poorly received).

How brave of another extremely popular and rich mainstream artist to do the bare minimum.

Obviously the criticism is pathetic, but so is a bit of the praise to be honest. Pearl Jam, U2, Roger Waters, Springsteen, that's four that come to my mind immediately.

The bare minimum?

The Montana show in conjunction with Rock2vote and others helped register folks to vote and raised awareness on some issues...

Join us for a fun community event prior to Pearl Jam’s August 13th Rock2Vote show in Missoula, Montana. Festival @ Griz Stadium will feature progressive, Montana-led organizations, family-friendly and all ages activities, and local food and beverage businesses. Pearl Jam’s Rock2Vote show partners Forward Montana, Montana Native Vote, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana, and Montana Conservation Voters will also be there to register voters, educate the community, and help ensure folks get out to vote in November.

This after the 2 Seattle shows last week were part of a collaborative effort that raised $11 Million to combat homelessness in Seattle.

So what more do they need to do?

This is a really weird thing I've noticed with you. Why would your first instinct be to find something negative related to this and make a pissy comment about it? What do you want them to do? Pearl Jam is on our side here. Shut the fuck up.

Edited to add: Friggin cobbler

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t know what he’s taking about. Apparently they’re not doing enough if they’re not chaining themselves to the White House fence or getting arrested, I dunno.

To act like any of these artists are merely paying lip service is beyond disingenuous. Meanwhile your buddy Kanye is helping legitimize racism, misogyny, and all the other shit Trump stands for. You wanna talk bare minimum? He’s moving in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
That stupid "Bush's head on a stick" rhetoric is off base.
Eddie wore the Bush mask at the beginning of Bushleaguer, then took it off and hung it on his mic stand so he could sing to it (and sometimes pour some wine into its mouth or put a cigarette in it). He didn't impale it on a stick like some folks claimed (and I know Long island was where it was quite poorly received).

Yes, at the Coliseum they booed him for that. I wasn't at that show. They're more conservative on the Island than in the City. I wouldn't have booed, that's for sure. What's really fucked up is that the current president makes W look like a great president in comparison. After looking at the Montana poster for a while, I think its awesome.

What Would Kanye Do?

Last time I went to PJ at Wrigley (in 2013) the show was delayed by 2 hours and 45 minutes because of a nasty thunderstorm and it significantly shortened the set. I think if the weather had been clear that night they would have played the longest set they've ever played.

Now I'm all worried that the same thing is gonna happen on Monday because the forecast is calling for rain pretty much the entire day. Fuck. I hate that as I've gotten older I worry more about the weather. It's lame. I never used to give a shit about the weather. Oh well. I'll try to keep positive rain-free thoughts.

The bare minimum?

The Montana show in conjunction with Rock2vote and others helped register folks to vote and raised awareness on some issues...

This after the 2 Seattle shows last week were part of a collaborative effort that raised $11 Million to combat homelessness in Seattle.

So what more do they need to do?
Sell a cheesy anti Trump graffiti art hat

Yes, at the Coliseum they booed him for that. I wasn't at that show. They're more conservative on the Island than in the City. I wouldn't have booed, that's for sure. What's really fucked up is that the current president makes W look like a great president in comparison. After looking at the Montana poster for a while, I think its awesome.

I was.

He didn't impale the mask that night. I think he did that earlier in the tour in November.

They played bu$hleaguer and Eddie danced in his mask. This led to boos. Eddie then kind of egged the crowd on, which led to a USA chant. They then went right into Know Your Rights, which didn't help the situation, followed by Rocking In The Free World, where Eddie ends the song with a mock USA chant and then slams the mic down Axl Rose style and walks off. All of this is extremely audible on the official bootleg.

He definitely misread the room that night. As you said the Island is a lot more conservative than NYC despite being neighbors. It was probably the most surreal ending to a concert I've seen. They haven't played Long Island since. They also didn't do the Bush mask again (I'm thinking the band told Eddie to chill).

You also have to remember that this was just 2.5 years after 9/11, that Long Island was hit very hard by 9/11 and Bush was still looked upon very highly because of his immediate response to the events. The whole house or cards hadn't collapsed on him yet (and wouldn't until Katrina and the housing crisis).

Back
Top Bottom