Winter (Song) (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eno used all his talents on Coldplay, then U2 got what was left in his bag of remainders. :(

Ha, I feel a bit like that as well. VLV was such a big leap for Coldplay, NLOTH is nowhere near as much of a leap for U2 (maybe post 2000 U2).

His production on VLV was absolutely perfect as well, left nothing to be desired, all the songs were fully realised.

Eno used all his talents on Coldplay, then U2 got what was left in his bag of remainders. :(

err... actually I find his contribution to VLV underwhelming, and VLV underwhelming as a whole (I had hoped it would be great). Perhaps his next record with Coldplay will be more interesting.

But I think he really kicks ass on NLTOH, the sound is really something new - I suppose he has a great chemistry with U2 and Lanois that means the result is greater than the sum of the parts.

err... actually I find his contribution to VLV underwhelming, and VLV underwhelming as a whole (I had hoped it would be great). Perhaps his next record with Coldplay will be more interesting.

But I think he really kicks ass on NLTOH, the sound is really something new - I suppose he has a great chemistry with U2 and Lanois that means the result is greater than the sum of the parts.

Nah, you just have to look at the 'ohh' vocalisations on VLV versus NLOTH to see the difference. On VLV they are restrained and used surperbly on songs like Life in Technicolor ii, Viva La Vida and Lovers in Japan, they add class.

Unlike in NLOTH, where Bono can't shut up for 5 seconds in a row.

Nah, you just have to look at the 'ohh' vocalisations on VLV versus NLOTH to see the difference. On VLV they are restrained and used surperbly on songs like Life in Technicolor ii, Viva La Vida and Lovers in Japan, they add class.

Unlike in NLOTH, where Bono can't shut up for 5 seconds in a row.

Except the songwriting is shit on VLV, so it doesn't matter anyway. The only thing good about that album is the production, which is admittedly excellent (but what should we expect from Brian?).

But yeah, I'm glad WAS beat Winter to the album.

Except the songwriting is shit on VLV, so it doesn't matter anyway. The only thing good about that album is the production, which is admittedly excellent (but what should we expect from Brian?).

But yeah, I'm glad WAS beat Winter to the album.

Well, Coldplay and U2 are in different leagues for songwriting.
I was so hoping for NLOTH to have the same lush production, (I think Bono interferes too much probably)

Whats with the VLV comparisons?

It has a slight flavour because the intro strings have the same synchopation.

But thats it... im sure that comes from the eno influence. And also, this song was probably written before VLV...

The song sounds NOTHING like it from about 20 seconds onwards

But thats it... im sure that comes from the eno influence. And also, this song was probably written before VLV...

the first 20 seconds of a song are pretty important though aren't they

Word.

This is hardly anything like VLV in feel or production at all. WTF?

I am getting worried about the clipping on this album though...

hmm....i like this song quite a bit. the guitar is great! can't wait till a better quality rip comes along.

Yeah, I wonder why it's different for U2. I guess that there are too many cooks eg. Lillywhite, Lanois and of course the band themselves, especially Mr Hewson.

this song definitely fits perfectly before White As Snow on Linear. I'll probably do the same when i listen to NLOTH, though i'm glad it didn't make the album.

Heard it 3 times now...:

(I'll just get past the "the-intro-sounds-like-coldplay" discussion...)

I think, although it has a slight "unfinished" feel to it, this is a FANTASTIC track!

Bono's very much in a sincere "old-school-Bono-passion-singing" mood. Very beautiful & clear. Especially in the first half of the song...

But most of all, the dark mood is striking me! The colours are very black, brown, grey to me, in a very broad soundscape. Kind of a Joshua Tree B-side 2009 style!

Like the song or not, they really succeeded in creating a dark melodramatic atmosphere.

Anyone hear this song in a similar way?

I haven't heard it as yet, but I see people affirming the track could be a replacement to White as Snow. What if White As Snow was the outtake? Would we be willing White As Snow on the album instead - and badly - as well? ;)

Heard it 3 times now...:

(I'll just get past the "the-intro-sounds-like-coldplay" discussion...)

I think, although it has a slight "unfinished" feel to it, this is a FANTASTIC track!

Bono's very much in a sincere "old-school-Bono-passion-singing" mood. Very beautiful & clear. Especially in the first half of the song...

But most of all, the dark mood is striking me! The colours are very black, brown, grey to me, in a very broad soundscape. Kind of a Joshua Tree B-side 2009 style!

Like the song or not, they really succeeded in creating a dark melodramatic atmosphere.

Anyone hear this song in a similar way?

you bet. i think we'll all be happier when a better audio rip is available too. the mood is very deep. nice track.

I haven't heard it as yet, but I see people affirming the track could be a replacement to White as Snow. What if White As Snow was the outtake? Would we be willing White As Snow on the album instead - and badly - as well? ;)

i think i would have been more upset if they had left White As Snow off the album than Winter.

"But Summer sings in me no more." Best line in the whole song.

"We're like butter on toast." Worst line.

Like Edge said, it's not complete. Cut the Coldplay-esque intro, maybe a couple verses as well.

The operatic coda is nice.

Great song

They spent 16 months on SUC (i like that song by the way)

another month on this song it would of been pure gold. This is the new Mercy for NLOTH

I really really dig it

Back
Top Bottom