Winter (Song) (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it sounds like a demo with an unfinished melody-line. Bono is off pitch a couple of times, and the song never really goes anywhere. Many great ideas in there though, should have finished it before release. Is this really the version that's going to be on the DVD?

I think it's a little interesting to ponder if U2 would consider this song "released" now or not. This is evidently a rather important section of Linear, so it couldn't just be cut since it didn't make the album.

I hope they look at this again and pick over the good parts, not just putting it aside.

Yeah, definitely. I really hope they do too, especially as this next one (if it's not complete bullshit) does sound like a true follow up or extension in every sense. Much goodness is in there.

And to those comparing this to Mercy or the the Bomb, come on. Mercy has all the subtlety and delicacy of a club meeting a baby seal, and sounds too Bombish for No Line? Really? Don't you dare let me find you posting in the Stand Up Comedy Appreciation Thread! :wink:

Well, it sounds like a demo with an unfinished melody-line. Bono is off pitch a couple of times, and the song never really goes anywhere. Many great ideas in there though, should have finished it before release. Is this really the version that's going to be on the DVD?

Apparently. Maryn (the guy who DL'd the video copy) was not very excited by the quality of it.

Yeah, definitely. I really hope they do too, especially as this next one (if it's not complete bullshit) does sound like a true follow up or extension in every sense. Much goodness is in there.

And to those comparing this to Mercy or the the Bomb, come on. Mercy has all the subtlety and delicacy of a club meeting a baby seal, and sounds too Bombish for No Line? Really? Don't you dare let me find you posting in the Stand Up Comedy Appreciation Thread! :wink:

Stand Up Comedy is twice as clever as this one! "We put bullets in guns!" LOL! Worst U2 lyric since Native Son! But the music is promising, as long as they finish the song rather than leave it like this.... But, I'm HATING the bridge.....

So good to finally hear the 'Dallas' clip in something, although I;d love a whole song of it. But better than nothing!
And to those complaining about some of the lyrics, remember this a soldiers point of view.

It's hot as hell,
We're like butter on toast
But there's no army in this world,
That can fight a ghost.

I couldn't believe this verse. My wife used to love Des'ree's Life. I used to tell her it has the worst couplet I've ever heard. here it is:

I don't wanna see a ghost
It's the sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast

Thank you Bono!!! My u2-hating wife is now getting revenge on years of torment as I put her through watching Linear.

I couldn't believe this verse. My wife used to love Des'ree's Life. I used to tell her it has the worst couplet I've ever heard. here it is:

I don't wanna see a ghost
It's the sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast

Thank you Bono!!! My u2-hating wife is now getting revenge on years of torment as I put her through watching Linear.

:lol: Yeah the lyrics do kind of suck. As a studio work in progress it's quite interesting, but fails as a finished song. I'd like to take back that White as Snow comment now. :wink:

let me guess, the tired vlv part was eno's doing. The Eno has run its course, i think its high time the 2 found a new obscure producer to innovate them. there are tons of new heads out there to pick from.

I like this, I wish the rest of the album was this trancy and deep, couldve done without the vlv strings though :/

Bono and I were on the same page about being at war with ghosts though, i must be on the right path writing lyrics

let me guess, the tired vlv part was eno's doing. The Eno has run its course, i think its high time the 2 found a new obscure producer to innovate them. there are tons of new heads out there to pick from.

Eno did some amazing things this album, but his VLV re-tread here was a big mistake.

The opera moment from 5:00 on is really nice. Then Larry gets some nice thuds on the way out.

whoa that opening is too close to Viva La Vida and Viva La Vida is just generic

what's Eno playing at there?! jeesus

very glad this wasn't on the album - not up to scratch in my opinion

A bit too Coldplayish for my tastes, but it doesn't sound bad, especially the final part. It could have easily replaced 2 or 3 songs on the new record. And anybody noticed that the infamous "dallas" clip is in there (around the 4-minute mark)?

Wouldn't have wanted it to replace ANYthing on NLOTH imo, but yeah noticed Dallas Clip right away... kind of disappointed to find it here, but maybe this will grow on me. Better than not getting it at all I guess... but this makes me want an mp3 of Dallas Clip now. Anyone got one? :hmm:

Well, that was a nice little number. Inoffensive and would've certainly worked on NLOTH. I can see why they chose not to include it, but keeping this wouldn't have done anything detrimental to the album. I keep feeling like NLOTH is over slightly too soon anyway, so Winter would be a good way to add a few more minutes of enjoyment at no cost.

Also, I can't believe anybody would want to take WAS off the album. But I suppose songs like RTSS and Heartland weren't instant classics back in the day either.

Funny you say the album is over too quickly, it's almost an hour long.

I get the same feeling. I put it on and get lost in it then at the end, wow...there goes nearly an hour....

Must be a good sign.

eno is like 70 years old, wtf does he know about whats hot anymore. i dont care who you are, after awhile you start to lose your touch. im glad coldplay got him, they can have him. just as im glad U2 got him when he was still worth a shit. he is way past his expiration date.

and regarding coldplay, they want what u2 had, thats obvious to anyone with a functioning brain. but they shouldve had more sense than to go after eno himself instead of finding the type of producer U2 searched for when they found eno. in other words, instead of going after the exact same guy they shhouldve gone after someone that fit his mold that wouldve had the same effect.

Tripoli, stop hating on Eno. NLOTH is a great album and it wouldn't be what it is without him. Eno and U2 are a dream team. And there is a reason for "Winter" not being on the album.

Bono sounds a lot like 1990 Bono from "Morning Child", the early demo of "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" from the Hansa recordings. Especially from the verse from 2:25.

I'll be getting the box set in about 10 hour's time so I'm looking forward to a DVD quality version

It sounds like a demo, and (dare-I-say-it) a bit like Mercy and Coldplay (the two words to fear in this forum in the same sentence!). It's a pity the Dallas clip is not used more extensively (I think the Dallas clip should be released on its own!).

However I love it! It has a wonderful melancholy feel and I find the lyrics intriguing and evocative. It's nice to hear Bono clearly writing from the point of view of a character and it clearly must be an important part of the movie.

PS: It really is not "a lovely ballad with simon and garfunkel backing vocals" I think that correspondent got his songs mixed up or there was a change in title between WAS and this song at a late stage.

Back
Top Bottom