Star rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not big on giving out top marks, I believe that only maybe 1 album every 2-3 years should really be considered that good, on average. The last album I heard to attain that status was probably In Rainbows by Radiohead. This could potentially be it but I still need to give it more time. At least a 4.5 for me though, because Crazy irritates me so much.

3.5 stars (Dont get me wrong I am damn impressed - I just like to mark low)

e.g Pop is my favourite album and its a 4 star.

I have no idea whatsoever how even begin to rate this thing. That's a good thing.

I have no idea whatsoever how even begin to rate this thing. That's a good thing.

yeah, it's too early for me. obviously i want jump out and yell "5!", but for me, nothing will ever be as good as Achtung Baby, though i can say already that this album is way better than HTDAAB and i'm pretty sure it's better than ATYCLB. i need to give it a couple days though.

3.5....for now....who knows what will happen in couple of months
but I still don't "get" Magnificent, IGCIIDGCT, GOYB, SUC and Breathe....
if they grow on me than it will be much higher..but this is me being careful

the good thing is that other songs are really great....some of them could become classic for me...

Yeah I don't quite access Magnificent either. I appreciate it but maybe there's too much 80's U2 in it for me :huh:

**** (this could change! too early to say... but could become 4.5 or 5)

feel like I need to qualify how I feel about other albums:

JT ****
AB *****
Zooropa ***
Pop ****
ATYCLB ***.5
HTDAAB ****

vs everything else out there *****

but vs the U2 cataloge where AB=***** then i would have to go ****1/2

**** (this could change! too early to say... but could become 4.5 or 5)

feel like I need to qualify how I feel about other albums:

JT ****
AB *****
Zooropa ***
Pop ****
ATYCLB ***.5
HTDAAB ****

meh what the hell.

the joshua tree ***** (5)
no line on the horizon *****(5)
achtung baby ****(.5) (4.5)
boy**** (4)
pop **** (4)
rattle and hum**** (4)
the unforgettable fire **** (4)
war ****(4)
how to dismantle an atomic bomb ***(.5) (3.5)
all that you can't leave behind ***(.5) (3.5)
october(***) (3)
zooropa(**)(.5) (2.5)
passengers ** (2)

a well earned second place.

but it is an outstanding album, with a big slab 'o' cheese in the middle (Crazy throught Comedy). I can cope with Crazy and GOYB, but SUC is the hurdle i can't jump over, and at this point is a musical sin. hopefully I'll learn to deal with it. Because outside of that, fucking great.

Looking at my ratings I can understand why RS and Q gave U2 5 stars even though I didn't. To compare U2 to an average album, you'd have to bump up all of U2's albums by one star because they are that good. They are really competing with themselves here.

but it is an outstanding album, with a big slab 'o' cheese in the middle (Crazy throught Comedy). I can cope with Crazy and GOYB, but SUC is the hurdle i can't jump over, and at this point is a musical sin. hopefully I'll learn to deal with it. Because outside of that, fucking great.

Agree with everything above. 3.5...extremely close to a 4...perhaps with some time. Easily my favorite of their '00s albums.

3.5 stars
it's very good, excellent compared to much of what's out there.

but compare this album to the rest of U2s amazing work, Initially, I would rank it somewhere around 4 or 5th best.

Things can change....and often do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom