Raised By Wolves - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get the comments about the chorus seeming a bit off for whatever reason, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad one. Can't really see the Duran connection for it either, but I'm assuming it isn't because of the use of 'wolf' there. :lol: I'll have to listen for that next time though!

I'm hoping they have a wolf face you can cut out of the program and right before the song starts, everyone in the audience puts it on and starts howling. Something better than the Aung San Suu Kyi mask...

Fuck the vampire revolution. U2's going straight up werewolf.

I kid.... I kid.... the track is sick.

THIS.IS.EVERYTHING. :heart: :heart: :heart: :D

Album highlight, read in detail the background of the song and it becomes even heavier.

I get the comments about the chorus seeming a bit off for whatever reason, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad one. Can't really see the Duran connection for it either, but I'm assuming it isn't because of the use of 'wolf' there. :lol: I'll have to listen for that next time though!

No... not because of the 'wolf' reference. When Bono sings "Raised by wolves..." there is certainly a Simon Le Bon vocal vibe going on and the rest of the chorus drips Duran Duran.

No... not because of the 'wolf' reference. When Bono sings "Raised by wolves..." there is certainly a Simon Le Bon vocal vibe going on and the rest of the chorus drips Duran Duran.

I got Dexter Holland from the Offspring. Next time you hear Bono nail the 'Raised By Wolves' - think about 'My friends got a girlfriend, and he hates that bitch"

I was telling Gvox last night... when he sings the processed lyric, "raaaaised".

It reminds me... don't flame me... because this track is my favourite on the album.....

It reminds me of Ozzy Osbourne singing "crazy" in .... "Going off the rails of the CRAZY train".

Both vocal effects and emphasis sound similar.

I love this track... it has so much in it for me.

I also love the serious quick strum before the chorus.

Shit be tite yo....

It reminds me of Ozzy Osbourne singing "crazy" in .... "Going off the rails of the CRAZY train".

I kinda hear it, Mirrorball Bro.

Help me out here, I'm mixed about the chorus. I feel like they could have really taken off after the chorus, but then again this chorus is so.....War.

I like this song until, oddly enough, the chorus. The "I don't believe" bits are great. Then he starts screeching "Raised by wolves!" and it sound so incredibly out of place and lyrically off-setting that it makes me wonder if Bono combined several lyrical ideas into one song.

Plus, given that wolves are animals of integrity, I'm not sure I agree with the analogy being used here, whatever it's supposed to mean.

So what had potential for being a solid album track, dropped to my second least favorite song on SoI. :reject:

:up: Way better than I tried to put it. Also agree with the weird superhero trailer soundtrack vibe. I LOVE the "I don't believe anymore..." but then the chorus is just :doh: and I feel like I should be watching some sort of Twilight trailer.

I kinda hear it, Mirrorball Bro.

Help me out here, I'm mixed about the chorus. I feel like they could have really taken off after the chorus, but then again this chorus is so.....War.

But that's it. The whole album is a throwback to something yester year.

For those people who say,.... "yeah... I like U2 back in the day when they were younger and had a white flag to wave".....

....this is the track that is it.... but done new skool.

They pulled out the stops to make a track being 50+ year old men to sound like they were back on the War album. I'm amazed.

After another listen or three, I can sort of hear that. The "raised by wolves" part does recall a few of Le Bon's vocals off of the band's first three albums, if that makes any sense.

Why hello Boy, it's been awhile.

When he bursts into "RAAAAISED BY WOLVES" :love: I didn't know Bono still had that voice. Sounds straight out of 1980.

def one of my faves.

Is it me or does the "RAISED" part sound like it uses autotune or some sort of vocal effect. It sounds really filtered, unnatural, almost electronic or like that helium balloon voice. I don't think he can really hit that note any more. It really sounds out of place. I really like the song, but the "raised" note really bothers me.

This one was an immediate favorite. I was surprised by the aggressive feel of this album, particularly this song. It sounds great in my car.

"Raised by Wolves" is the dark horse track on the album. It's emerged at the top of the heap, when it really didn't feel like the album had a standout track at first.

I think this could eventually reach classic status. It had to grow on me. I really didn't like it at first. Now can see it being one of my favorite U2 tracks. Reminds me a bit of 30 Seconds to Mars in places. In a good way.

This will stick.

The Edge's guitar in this is awesome, keeping those tight speedy rhythms, really strong, that's what he does like no other guitarist - wall of sound Edge-style :up:

I feel like Edge's work is really strong all over this album. Not flashy, but really deep. There's just a lot to listen for here.

But that's it. The whole album is a throwback to something yester year.

For those people who say,.... "yeah... I like U2 back in the day when they were younger and had a white flag to wave".....

....this is the track that is it.... but done new skool.

They pulled out the stops to make a track being 50+ year old men to sound like they were back on the War album. I'm amazed.

I hear that 80s vibe in a few of the tracks, in particular, Iris. Absolutely brilliant.

Is it me or does the "RAISED" part sound like it uses autotune or some sort of vocal effect. It sounds really filtered, unnatural, almost electronic or like that helium balloon voice. I don't think he can really hit that note any more. It really sounds out of place. I really like the song, but the "raised" note really bothers me.

Absolutely some kind of vocal effect there. I know he can hit the note (it's really not that high ) but not with the kind of clarity that is present in the recording.

It's not just you. I thought the same thing. This song definitely has a really strong 'Rio' era Duran Duran vibe going on. Nothing wrong with that.

I get that from 'Sleep like a Baby'--its very 'Chaffeur-esque, or 'Sing Blue Silver' or 'Lonely in You Nightmare'

But that's a good thing for me too, and just goes to show the boys reaching to the past for influences. One of my favorite stories about Bono comes from Simon Le Bon. During the recording of 'Do They know its Christmas" apparently Bono was feeling like quite the outsider--and Bono always said how nice and welcoming Simon made him feel.

He's going to have to do it live, so we'll find out!

Think I said that a few pages back,definitely getting a duran duran vibe at the chorus. Still love the song though.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

Raised by Wolves is the first song on the album that I can joyously sing (almost by memory already) at full volume in my car. :hyper: :love:

New album is now on HEAVY rotation in all my devices! :up:

Back
Top Bottom