Cedarwood Road - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really enjoying this section of the song currently:

If the door is open it isn’t theft
You can’t return to where you’ve never left
Blossoms falling from a tree
They cover you and cover me
Symbols clashing, bibles smashing
Paint the world you need to see
Sometimes fear is the only place
That we can call our home
Cedarwood Road

It is up there with some of the best lyrics they've ever written! Bono has definitely redeemed himself a lot lyrically with this album and even the previous one to an extent.

Cedarwood Road

It is up there with some of the best lyrics they've ever written! Bono has definitely redeemed himself a lot lyrically with this album and even the previous one to an extent.

Yep, that's my favorite part of the song. I agree about Bono's lyrics.

Cedarwood Road

Yes!

Bono is referring to his friends Guggi Rowen who lived in no 5 Cedarwood Road. They had a blossom tree outside the front. It's still there on google streetview.

This image of being under a tree is a little echo of SATS, I think. Violence, alienation and similar sensual imagery are explored there, too, except that in the earlier song it's more sexual.

Summer stretching on the grass... summer dresses pass
In the shade of a willow tree creeps a crawling over me
Over me and over you stuck together with God's glue
Blossoms falling from a tree they cover you and cover me
Sometimes fear is the only place we can call home

Cedarwood Road:
"You can’t return to where you’ve never left"

Deep In The Heart:
"You can't return to the place you never left"

Technically there's nothing wrong with this song. It has some good lyrics. But musically, I just find it boring compared to the other ten tracks.
To those who says it's the most rocking track, I am baffled. What about Raised by Wolves, or Volcano? Or even The Miracle!
I know it's not the same song exctly, but this reminds me of people freaking out about Crumbs From Your Table back in 2005. Not a bad song, but nothing really jumps out at me.
To each their own though. A fantastic album, but my least favorite track.

It is a song for a campfire, acoustic arrangement suits to it as i said before they realised the bonus disc and before started to perform it on their promo sets

I know it's not the same song exctly, but this reminds me of people freaking out about Crumbs From Your Table back in 2005. Not a bad song, but nothing really jumps out at me.

To each their own though. A fantastic album, but my least favorite track.

My take exactly although I find this song to be better and more interesting than Crumbs. For me what hurts it is. Bono's voice, which sounds "old" when he sings certain lines. This is interesting to me because I find this album to be one of his best vocal performances since the early 90's.

I also get a country song type feel from it during parts and I don't like that at all (just like White as Snow, another song. I'm not big on).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Cedarwood Road

indeed.
And Bono's delivery of those lyrics. Goosegumps for me!

So Bono wrote the intro/chorus riff eh? That's surprising since it's such a cliche Edge part. I wonder if his guitar playing is more important to the songwriting process than it seems. I thought he'd just write songs using basic chords, but if he's throwing out hooks too then they might be a bit hurt by his injuries.

It was really cool to hear the demo, and to hear isolated parts from the multitrack.

Does anyone else like the demo more than the final version? It was interesting to hear the synths in there. Makes you wonder if Invisible, Sleep Like A Baby, and this demo are hints of what could have been.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is my favorite song on the album. Took a while to get there but a well deserved spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was an awesome listen, love how they built the song up as The Edge and Bono narrated it. Cool to hear the musical genesis of the song as well as what went into the lyrics. So much more to the first two lines that I would have ever thought.

Back
Top Bottom