You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And back then mainstream music was probably awesome.

:wink:
In U.S.... not so much... only in the early 90's with Nirvana and GN'R...

In U.K. it definitely was...Primal Scream, Suede, Oasis, Blur, Pulp....

And back then mainstream music was probably awesome.

Different. Certainly, as Ozeeko has been saying, there was more variety on the radio, on MTV etc. But it was also totally loaded with pop rubbish as per today. Thank the 80s for that. The difference between today and then is that it was almost like music directors felt they had to have some balance. Like the commercial radio balance had to be 80% crappy pop, 20% 'real' music. Now, no matter what it is, hip-hop, rock, pop, whatever - from Fall Out Boy representing what 'rock' is to T.I. apparently representing cutting edge hip-hop - it's ALL pure, slick pop. Its like it's 98% to 2%. The odd, occasional song or artist will break through, but it's only a couple a year. It used to be a few a week.

My problem is that GOYB detractors are arguing that it's dumbed-down/mainstream AND that it won't be loved like BD and Vertigo were... I can't figure out how to reconcile those criticisms. Perhaps two opposite strands of vehement criticism have arisen? But that would seem to indicate...

They're both wrong.

Don't like the song. I think it's mediocre at best. Edges' riff is great, as always, but the song doesn't really go anywhere and lyrics are lame. It's a Pop B-side. Any comparisons to the Fly are ridiculous. I didn't get the fly back then at all but I knew it was innovative and different from anything they had ever done...plus the lyrics are great. Vertigo also has dumb lyrics but the music is fantastic. Again, no comparison. More than worried I'm pissed since, after all thaty hype, I see this as bad sign in terms of the rest of the songs on the album.

... they acted mainstream with ATCYLB.. I agree. But I don't see it so much on HTDAAB.

They acted mainstream on both. The only difference is that the mainstream scene was a little better around ATCYLB. I love ATYCLB for being an album filled with perfectly crafted pop songs, and i hate HTDAAB because it rocks like an immature emo band. Oh, and the Eno/Lanois production on ATYCLB is superb. Lillywhite fucked up.

They acted mainstream on both. The only difference is that the mainstream scene was a little better around ATCYLB. I love ATYCLB for being an album filled with perfectly crafted pop songs, and i hate HTDAAB because it rocks like an immature emo band. Oh, and the Eno/Lanois production on ATYCLB is superb. Lillywhite fucked up.

Well, the music is subjective. But I feel that it's a lot more mainstream do an album like ATYCLB right after you got poor sales and mixed reviews than just do an rock album after ATYCLB...
People may say that Bomb is similar to ATYCLB, but I don't agree at all on that.

Well, the music is subjective. But I feel that it's a lot more mainstream do an album like ATYCLB right after you got poor sales and mixed reviews than just do an rock album after ATYCLB...
People may say that Bomb is similar to ATYCLB, but I don't agree at all on that.

I didn't buy all that hype about the BOMB being a return to roots rock album. I saw through all of that, and many others also have. ATYCLB didn't masquerade as a rock album, it was what it was and i appreciated it for that. Whatever reasons U2 had for making that record, fair enough, they probably were aiming for the charts. But at the end of the day, if it's a great record, then it's a great record, and i really don't care to be honest about their intentions surrounding the album. Sure, i agree U2 have been approaching their songs with kids gloves these days. I'd just rather have a nicely written, melodic pop album with real, emotional authentic songs than a so-called rock album that doesn't even rock. I don't think that loud guitars automatically equal something that isn't mainstream. Mainstream isn't a sound. If industrial music were suddenly mainstream, that would be the sound of mainstream. So while ATYCLB is an album of pop songs, i find it to be much less of a mainstream effort than BOMB because the music is cleverly and intelligently written. Not to mention it is moving. The BOMB to me comes off like a bunch of old wankers who are passed their prime and trying to appear hip with the youngsters. I never thought of U2 as a rock and roll band. I always saw them as an atmospheric band, a band that conjures up images with a deep landscape of sound. Not a crummy garage band. If it were up to me i'd say screw the rock.

Man, it's funny how these threads go off on tangents sometimes never to return to the main issue. Regardless, three days of hell busy work and I think I probably only got to read maybe 3 pages of these threads total. So, as I'm probably not the only one, forgive me for sounding redundant. . .

I personally think the song is rather good. It gets much better when you listen with ear pods than listening on shitty computer speakers.

Starts off with the drums lovechild of Arctic Monkeys "Fake Tales. . ." and Peter Bjorn and John "Young Folks". (yes, I did read those two references but it's true)

Guitar - wouldn't go so far as classifying it as metal (disclaimer: I am not a guitarist but this sound should probably get a new classification). It will be interesting to see Edge play this live. I'd be curious to know how much they're going to loop.

Not sure what the electronic overdub they add at the point of first mention "sexy Boots" but only makes an appearance twice in the song.

As said many times before, there's a shitload going on in this song, which makes it more interesting the more plays my ears get. (not to mention more difficult for me to actually discuss all of it). However, wouldn't say it's as layered as "Wake Up Dead Man" but it's a fun little journey none-the-less.

Harmonies are great at refrain - gotta be Brian and Danny adding in there or was this already discussed. I can't imagine Adam stepping in there but at least three voices on top of Bono. But I do enjoy Bono's "You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?" very nice.

I wish they'd let Edge go off a little more at 1:18. I was looking forward to a nice little solo and then Bono had to step in at 1:24 but maybe they're leaving that an open door for the stadiums!!

The "Let me in the sound" part almost reminiscent of Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance". And finally his "Yeah Hey Hey" immediately had me skip my iPod back to the Happy Monday's "Step On".

All-in-all it gets more enjoyable each listen and I'm not even scratching the surface. I think this is a nice little taste of things to come and makes March 3rd a much longer wait but only 5 weeks and change. At least we have a good idea the album probably will not leak if GYOB was any indication.

^Just to clarify, I'll see him tomorrow, and Friday :huh:

Wait 'til you're ten years older - I wished my manager a great weekend today!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I didn't buy all that hype about the BOMB being a return to roots rock album. I saw through all of that, and many others also have. ATYCLB didn't masquerade as a rock album, it was what it was and i appreciated it for that. Whatever reasons U2 had for making that record, fair enough, they probably were aiming for the charts. But at the end of the day, if it's a great record, then it's a great record, and i really don't care to be honest about their intentions surrounding the album. Sure, i agree U2 have been approaching their songs with kids gloves these days. I'd just rather have a nicely written, melodic pop album with real, emotional authentic songs than a so-called rock album that doesn't even rock. I don't think that loud guitars automatically equal something that isn't mainstream. Mainstream isn't a sound. If industrial music were suddenly mainstream, that would be the sound of mainstream. So while ATYCLB is an album of pop songs, i find it to be much less of a mainstream effort than BOMB because the music is cleverly and intelligently written. Not to mention it is moving. The BOMB to me comes off like a bunch of old wankers who are passed their prime and trying to appear hip with the youngsters. I never thought of U2 as a rock and roll band. I always saw them as an atmospheric band, a band that conjures up images with a deep landscape of sound. Not a crummy garage band. If it were up to me i'd say screw the rock.

Ok, but I never said that ATYCLB was a bad album...it's great. The problem with Bomb is that people see it as a rock album (damn you Bono). It's not...actually, in the only three times they try to rock, in one of them they fail (ABOY). Actually, I may be wrong... in both albuns they acted mainstream, even if the music is completely far from sound like mainstream in the time the albums were released.
Anyway, to me both albums are great and they didn't tried to sound what mainstream was at the moment. But with ATYCLB they tried to return to mainstream. With HTDAAB, what made people feel weird about the album is the whole hype that was created around it with Bono's stupid comments like "punk-rock from venus" and etc. And while it has a more familiar sound, it could have failed to chart, cause its sound it's far what was on the radio those times.

I wish they'd let Edge go off a little more at 1:18. I was looking forward to a nice little solo and then Bono had to step in at 1:24 but maybe they're leaving that an open door for the stadiums!!

QUOTE]

Am i the only one who loves this part? I appreciate and admire the fact that it's such a demented and disjointed sounding guitar moment. Forget big solos. Who is he? Eddie Van Halen? Hendrix? Edge was always a master of tone and color. And a minimalist. I say kudos to him for creating such an unexpected detour in this song.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ok, but I never said that ATYCLB was a bad album...it's great. The problem with Bomb is that people see it as a rock album (damn you Bono). It's not...actually, in the only three times they try to rock, in one of them they fail (ABOY). Actually, I may be wrong... in both albuns they acted mainstream, even if the music is completely far from sound like mainstream in the time the albums were released.
Anyway, to me both albums are great and they didn't tried to sound what mainstream was at the moment. But with ATYCLB they tried to return to mainstream. With HTDAAB, what made people feel weird about the album is the whole hype that was created around it with Bono's stupid comments like "punk-rock from venus" and etc. And while it has a more familiar sound, it could have failed to chart, cause its sound it's far what was on the radio those times.

What made we feel weird about the BOMB was the cruddy songwriting. And when they did try to rock it sounded pathetic, like a boy band trying to act tough. But they acted like they were rock stars on the album, with the "turn it up loud captain" the spanish countoff, the endless yeas at the end. They reached in and grabbed every rock trick in the bag and inserted these gimmicks into a song where there was no song. Well, actually there was a song there. It was called Native Son. And i'm not even crazy about that one. Yet I do find it to be a sincere statement that stands alone by itself, whereas Vertigo is like putting lipstick on a pig. Sorry, can't fool this guy.

What made we feel weird about the BOMB was the cruddy songwriting. And when they did try to rock it sounded pathetic, like a boy band trying to act tough. But they acted like they were rock stars on the album, with the "turn it up loud captain" the spanish countoff, the endless yeas at the end. They reached in and grabbed every rock trick in the bag and inserted these gimmicks into a song where there was no song. Well, actually there was a song there. It was called Native Son. And i'm not even crazy about that one. Yet I do find it to be a sincere statement that stands alone by itself, whereas Vertigo is like putting lipstick on a pig. Sorry, can't fool this guy.

Exactly, you felt like they were trying to fool you. If U2 (Bono) hadn't gone in that direction creating all that hype for something that Bomb wasn't a lot of people would like it better imo. What fucked up Bomb was not the music, was the stupid hype.

Btw, I love the spanish countoff. :reject: It works so well live. Hear 73,000 people shouting it with you is something amazing. :heart:

I don't have any beef with the Spanish countdown. However, "Turn it up loud, captain" is probably the most terrifyingly embarrassing thing Bono has ever put on record.

About the Bono-Bomb hype - one thing he did get right was saying that it was their first album. He was right. The band that recorded Atomic Bomb are about 10 years of maturity and talent off recording the Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Zooropa etc. It sounds incredibly inexperienced and immature in comparison.

Exactly, you felt like they were trying to fool you. If U2 (Bono) hadn't gone in that direction creating all that hype for something that Bomb wasn't a lot of people would like it better imo. What fucked up Bomb was not the music, was the stupid hype.

Uhhh, no. it was the music that ruined it for me. The false hype just added insult to injury.

Uhhh, no. it was the music that ruined it for me. The false hype just added insult to injury.

:lmao:

Well....**it happens :wink:

I myself love Bomb and think that Boy is crap next to it. Something that is considered blasphemy around here. Like I love to say and would put in my sig if I had one: "Music is subjective".

:lmao:

Well....**it happens :wink:

I myself love Bomb and think that Boy is crap next to it. Something that is considered blasphemy around here. Like I love to say and would put in my sig if I had one: "Music is subjective".

You know they cane people in some countries for saying that.

This whole subjective argument...my argument is that subjectivity only travels as far as a person's limited experience. Stuff that i thought was awesome ten years ago i can't even listen to today. Stuff i bought mindlessly when i was a little kid- Nelson, anyone?- i can't listen to today. I think when you submerge ureself in a lot of music that has existed forever, you suddenly find that things that you used to like now bore you, and things that you would've never given a chance in the past now becomes your favorite shit.

If someone has only heard U2's last two albums, his subjectivity is going to be a hell of a lot different than someone who's heard everything.

This might sound a little snobbish, but i think there are more experienced listeners out there. We're not all at the same level.

i know im going to get stabbed in the eye for bringing up coldplay:|.......but viva la vida is number 27 on itunes here in the us......and that song was released in MAY 2008. talk about a song with a damn long shelf life. curious as to why that song is still so popular after being around for so long? i mean..........isnt everybody either sick of hearing it or have it already?

Music is subjective, should be MRMACPHISTOS username since he uses it in almost every post:wink:

i know im going to get stabbed in the eye for bringing up coldplay:|.......but viva la vida is number 27 on itunes here in the us......and that song was released in MAY 2008. talk about a song with a damn long shelf life. curious as to why that song is still so popular after being around for so long? i mean..........isnt everybody either sick of hearing it or have it already?

I've always thought it was a very bland and forgettable song.

The US charts aren't used to having a single that isn't total crap do well on them.

think about it.........right now could you see a u2 song staying popular that long some eight months later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom