You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By "terrorist/fear mongerer" I meant anybody who uses fear to manipulate the actions of others. Take that to mean what you will.

:up:

absolutely. The word terrorist has been so overused in modern language that it has just about lost all meaning. It is a word used to enstill fear and hatred in people, no matter how irrelevant to the topic.

I was interested in your interpretation so I could understand the way you were interpreting the lyrics (which i discover is exactly how I did).

:wave:

I thought the "I don't want to talk about the war between nations... not right now..... get on your boots, sexy boots" was saying something like that... like yeah you can be all those things, but right now, lets have some fun.
But it also can be taken in more than one interpretation, as with many u2 songs.

I agree with everything in the frist half of your post. Good job on the first post :up: hopefully we will see plenty more from you in future :wave:

I do have some reservations as to your interpretation as a 'fuck you' to terrorists. It all depends on YOUR definition of terrorist. Are you refering to them in the traditional ACTUAL sense where it is ANYONE who uses illegitimate force and destruction for political/religious means. Or are you using the modern americanised (sorry if that offends anyone) use meaning anyone of middle-eastern appearance? I see it as a 'terror breeds terror' song, where 9/11 was awful, devastating, yet the reaction (bombing IRAQ when the threat came from AFGHANISTAN) was just as bad. If not worse as many more innocent people were slaughtered.

I would've thought of it as more of an "f-you" to mainstream radio. But thats just me. :wink:

Please continue.

I thought the "I don't want to talk about the war between nations... not right now..... get on your boots, sexy boots" was saying something like that... like yeah you can be all those things, but right now, lets have some fun.
But it also can be taken in more than one interpretation, as with many u2 songs.

That's exactly how I perceived it.

I thought an alternate interpretation (though I really like the anti-terrorism one) was a tone of ironic, self-conscious escapism; it felt like he was trying to write a purely pop/fun song and the tragedies of our time kept intruding, so the "Let me in the sound" part becomes a plea for escape from current events into the music, and ultimately he pulls it off and is able to focus on the "Sexy Boots."

But it seems to me like that could even be integrated with the terrorism-focused interpretation.

I don't know. I like the other way better but that's another string of thoughts I was having about the song.

Having looked back a few pages and seen the mention of Colplay being U2's successors

I certainly hope not

All they try and do is copy U2 and make a shocking effort of it - their first 2 albums were ok - last 2 are diabolical and Prospekts March is a complete waste of time. Any band that tries to be U2 ends up being rubbish

Kings of Leon have gone down that route now just for the money. The Killers did the same on Sam's Town. Snow Patrol as well.

They are only big as Chris Martin plays the game

I remember seeing him at a gig saying "thanks for making our jobs so great"
And i dont like how he dances about on stage

I have had to spend less time here as I have been busy annoying Bullet For my Valentine fans! Oasis are headling 2 festivals in South Africa and they said BFMV should be first to cut a long story short lol

Boots has done its job

People are talking about U2

Any news is good news!

People tell it the way it is! You know if this song was from anyone other than U2 you would say it stinks.

This is EXACTLY what my best U2 friend, my fiance, and I think. Hear hear!:applaud:

I am very unhappy with this song...it sounds like a dissapointing b-side and is all messy with like, 3 different melodies going at once....and that's the nicest and shortest review I can give it. Maybe I'm getting old at 28, but it's just too noisy. I'm sad...I miss the U2 of my youth. I sincerely hope the album is better and this is just a really bad single choice.:sad::depressed::waiting:

Why don't people who don't like it believe that there are people who do like it? :confused:
Let me tell it like it is:

I like this song!

Look if we're gonna talk about the "new bands" (00's onwards)... I have to say that the one I have the highest hopes for is Franz Ferdinand. I don't even like it that much, but they always seem to try different things. Especially after the last album (Tonight), which restored my faith in them

Look if we're gonna talk about the "new bands" (00's onwards)... I have to say that the one I have the highest hopes for is Franz Ferdinand. I don't even like it that much, but they always seem to try different things. Especially after the last album (Tonight), which restored my trust in them

A quote from the new Rollingstone review of FF's new album "Three albums in, FF are doing the same thing, more or less the same way, with the same proficiency that catapulted them to the top o the international indie heap"

but does go on to say there are a few musical departures on the new album.

I lvoed that quote from bono about the competition for the best band in the world spot before Bomb came out.

"Franz Ferdinand should be confident, the Killers should confident"

Then they totally subordinated them by using them as support acts on the Vertigo Tour.

I'm still undecided about the song. I've got it on my ipod now and that does make a difference. It doesn't sound near as rich (that mean Edge guitar is barely audible). Furthermore, I've now been able to jump to other U2 songs after listening to it, and it seems to come up short by comparison. And I don't know. . .the lyrics. . .I've heard that Bono feels he's much better lyricist now than he was in years back, but I think he may have done a better job back when he was just "throwing words together". The lyrics on this song and on most of the last album seem like they've been overthought in a sense. They lack the poetry of say "The Fly" or the song that I'm listening to right now. . ."Running to Stand Still" :drool:

I'm leaning more towards disappointment, I'm afraid. :(

But it's early yet. Yesterday I actually liked it better.

And again it took me 10 years to stop hating (and start loving) Zooropa. I keep telling myself that.

We'll see.

Australian Fans should listen to 'The Devoted Few'

They hava new album out in early feb. They are young, have an unforgettable fire type freshness, and write some atmospheric tunes. I will be using them as prep for the new album.

I have high hopes for Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys (or for that matter any of Alex Turner's musical projects)

Alex Turner is an awesome lyricist and charismatic vocalist. I'm a big fan of his...less so of the rest of his band.

The guitar riff reminds me of Discotheque, the bass line reminds me of Salome, the palm muting in the verses reminds me of Vertigo, the chorus reminds of Fast Cars, and its function as a "puzzling" lead single reminds me of The Fly.

The guitar riff reminds me of Discotheque, the bass line reminds me of Salome, the palm muting in the verses reminds me of Vertigo, the chorus reminds of Fast Cars, and its function as a "puzzling" lead single reminds me of The Fly.

Except the guitar in Disco was far more squeaked than this one.

While I do agree that this song does not looks like The Fly at all, since I think Boots is way better, to start with... just be a little more polite.

Except the guitar in Disco was far more squeaked than this one.

True, and it was less important to the structure of the song itself.

I still like GOYB though. I actually think the music is pretty damn awesome. Bono is my least favorite part of it by a mile, always has been. He actually sounded more strained on the beach clip.

The Kings of Leon, in my opinion, are poised to be the next #1 contenders in the alt-rock scene.

Bah. I just checked them out on YouTube. Sex on Fire sounds like Bob Seger, and Use Somebody sounds like music at the end of an SUV commercial (read: Miracle Drug and/or Clocks).

I remember watching these guys on Letterman, and turning it off quickly; now I remember why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom