You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know they cane people in some countries for saying that.

This whole subjective argument...my argument is that subjectivity only travels as far as a person's limited experience. Stuff that i thought was awesome ten years ago i can't even listen to today. Stuff i bought mindlessly when i was a little kid- Nelson, anyone?- i can't listen to today. I think when you submerge ureself in a lot of music that has existed forever, you suddenly find that things that you used to like now bore you, and things that you would've never given a chance in the past now becomes your favorite shit.

If someone has only heard U2's last two albums, his subjectivity is going to be a hell of a lot different than someone who's heard everything.

This might sound a little snobbish, but i think there are more experienced listeners out there. We're not all at the same level.

Nothing to disagree here. That's the whole point of subjectivity. Six years ago I would find ATYCLB a boring, probably bad album. But then I've only listened to rado and liked Linkin' Park. Things change. People change. That will change your perception over a song.

Great post. :up:

no....maybe not you.........but i bet u2 would be shitting their pants if boots was still in the top 30 downloads some eight months later.

Music is subjective, should be MRMACPHISTOS username since he uses it in almost every post:wink:

haha... I was just going to write about that.

While I understand that people have different tastes in what they enjoy listening to, to say that "Music is subjective" for every defense of an argument is a stretch.

Here's my crack at some amateur analysis...FWIW:

There are few bands out there than induce such analysis over one song. Few bands carry such weighty expectations with each release. For a seemingly large number of people, a new U2 must be one of two things. It’s either a classic or its crap. There’s no in-between. How strict and boring! I’m glad U2 are up to the challenge because many other bands that have faced such challenges withered under the pressure.

Personally, I don’t think “Get on Your Boots” is either a classic or crap. For me it falls somewhere in-between, leaning closer to the classic side, but time will tell. Comparing it to other past first singles is, for me, pointless because each of those songs are now so indelibly loaded with years of memories, I’ve lost all objectivity.

“Boots” is unmistakably U2, yet it’s the least formulaic thing they’ve done in years, probably since “Discotheque” blasted out of a mirror ball in ‘97. It tweaks the formula in some devious and devilish ways. For example, take that “solo” at 1:17. It almost sounds like the Edge sampling a fragment of some lost, pre-Boy demo track. I really appreciate the decision, whether intentional or not, to do less when the moment cries out for more, more, more.

Here’s my speculation. I think the band intended to mess with established expectations for what constitutes a U2 song. And so far, it’s working like a charm. I’ve read the complaints. There’s no soaring moment, no scrape the sky solos, no lift off. There’s no “U2” in there. Well, isn’t that the point? I think it shows growth on the part of the band. There’s a new palette here, new sounds parsed in new ways. The boundaries have been pushed, in ways some do not like. Fair enough. I’d much rather see a love it or hate it response than some middling, “eh, it’s ok” reaction.

In reality, I doubt our feelings are taken into consideration during the band’s song-writing process. God help us if they were. I want to be surprised, challenged and not immediately satisfied. I want to grow into a song, to explore its nooks and crannies and find buried treasure. For a song so purposefully fun, throw-away and on the surface quite shallow, there’s a tremendous amount of stuff happening on “Boots”. I’m certainly the 1mm person to say this, but listen to it with a pair of good headphones. This song cranks! I can’t understand why that’s a sin for some people. What’s wrong with a dirty, goofy song? Is having a good time not allowed?

In the end, I’m overjoyed with the negative reactions. This song shows that our requirements and demands are completely irrelevant. That’s what makes following any band interesting. They’re leading and we’re following. I will continue to follow.

haha... I was just going to write about that.

While I understand that people have different tastes in what they enjoy listening to, to say that "Music is subjective" for every defense of an argument is a stretch.

Well, but what you're gonna say????
A guy comes to you: "HOw can you like this. Is shit. You compare it to The Fly??!!?!?!?! Haahahahhah!! Ridiculous!"

Or: "You like Bomb??!?!??!1 WTF? I mean, it's awful. How can you like this??!?!!?!"

There's not a better answer for some people. I love to hear critics. But I hate people telling your perception over something is wrong.

More than worried I'm pissed since, after all thaty hype, I see this as bad sign in terms of the rest of the songs on the album.

:lol: Trust me, GOYB will be very unique within NLOTH. I'm actually curious as to how they're going to fit it in there. Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy are supposed to sound equally frivolous, so maybe its placement is a very logical one. If so, GOYB could be awesome on the record, just like The Fly, odd lead singles though they may be.

In any case, you'll get plenty of supercereal U2 with NLOTH. Magnificent drips with earnestness, Moment of Surrender channels JT/R&H era gospel, and Cedars of Lebanon is about a fucking war correspondent. What more could you ask for? :wink:

So...does anybody know, is this the song written in 6/8 that the band decided to force into a 4/4 time signature?

Well, but what you're gonna say????
A guy comes to you: "HOw can you like this. Is shit. You compare it to The Fly??!!?!?!?! Haahahahhah!! Ridiculous!"

Or: "You like Bomb??!?!??!1 WTF? I mean, it's awful. How can you like this??!?!!?!"

There's not a better answer for some people. I love to hear critics. But I hate people telling your perception over something is wrong.

Well, I'd usually ask them what exactly they didn't like about a song: i.e. melody, singing, guitar, lyrics, drums, etc.

Well, I'd usually ask them what exactly they didn't like about a song: i.e. melody, singing, guitar, lyrics, drums, etc.

When a person comes attacking everyone that doesn't like the song or album on the first post regarding the subject I prefer to not give the benefit of doubt.
But again, I don't have much patience. :wink:
And, I love that phrase. It makes things simple :wink:

wow...this song ROCKS....best single since The Fly.
I've been a huge fan since 1984...and this is the U2 I wanted to hear.

For example, take that “solo” at 1:17. It almost sounds like the Edge sampling a fragment of some lost, pre-Boy demo track. I really appreciate the decision, whether intentional or not, to do less when the moment cries out for more, more, more.

That's probably my favorite part of the song. Sounds like it could have been sampled from A Hard Day's Night. Fantastically classic.

ny_atom said:
Here’s my speculation. I think the band intended to mess with established expectations for what constitutes a U2 song. And so far, it’s working like a charm. I’ve read the complaints. There’s no soaring moment, no scrape the sky solos, no lift off. There’s no “U2” in there. Well, isn’t that the point? I think it shows growth on the part of the band. There’s a new palette here, new sounds parsed in new ways.
Great points. And I appreciate the fact that the band seems focused on delivering an ALBUM as opposed to individual tracks primed for some adolescent's scattered playlist. Sexy Boots sitting in the belly of this album has me very intrigued.

Which interview talked about a song that was 6/8 that they changed to 4/4?

I hoped no one would ask, because I have no clue. I just remember reading about this, and being disappointed. It said they wrote it in Morocco and retooled it once they left. Forum search might help?

So...does anybody know, is this the song written in 6/8 that the band decided to force into a 4/4 time signature?

I didnt see that interview, but there are someindications it could be. There seems to be some weird entry points for vocals in the chorus, and the let me in the sound bit follows a strange timing in the melody.

I hoped no one would ask, because I have no clue. I just remember reading about this, and being disappointed. It said they wrote it in Morocco and retooled it once they left. Forum search might help?

I don't remember that, and that seems like something people would jump on and bitch about...

:shrug: doesn't mean it didn't happen I just haven't read that yet.

Hey, I know everybody likes to jump on the new guys here, but I thought I'd throw in some thoughts as a follow up to what ny_atom said.

For a long time, as a U2 fan, I was obsessed with the idea of U2 as the greatest band of all time, such and such a song as the greatest song of all time, and AB as the greatest album of all time. Experience has taught me, however, that there is no such thing as the "greatest of all time". Its a Mythical concept - and the more you let yourself get caught up in that concept, the more likely you are to be disappointed in new output by the band. This happens for two main reasons. 1) greatness is rarely recognized in its own time. 2) Not everything created is meant to be "great" (in the sense of moving and profound)

The mark of a great artist is not wether or not everything they create is groundbreaking-ly brilliant, rather it is wether or not they are able to communicate their ideas effectively, it is wether or not they are able to capture a moment or a feeling and bottle that up for everyone to see or hear.

So here is what I think of GOYB: I think this song is a big F@ck You to all terrorists/fear mongerers. Its saying that their methods won't scare us, that we can see thru their tactics, and we're not going to let it bring us down. We know the future lies in the concepts of community, Love, joy and laughter. So we are going to put on our boots, our sexy boots, we're going to "meet in the sound" (i.e. a U2 show, or a club) and we're going to have a rocking good time, because we're not scared.

So, is this the greatest U2 song of all time? No, of course not. There is no greatest U2 song of all time. But does this song communicate its idea effectively? Does it capture a moment and a feeling? Absolutely. So I give it a 10/10.

So here is what I think of GOYB: I think this song is a big F@ck You to all terrorists/fear mongerers. Its saying that their methods won't scare us, that we can see thru their tactics, and we're not going to let it bring us down. We know the future lies in the concepts of community, Love, joy and laughter. So we are going to put on our boots, our sexy boots, we're going to "meet in the sound" (i.e. a U2 show, or a club) and we're going to have a rocking good time, because we're not scared.

:up:

This is a song worth interpreting. And you know, I hadn't thought of it that way. But it certainly makes sense as a framework for interpretation.

And makes me like it more.

But I loved it in the first place.

Hey, I know everybody likes to jump on the new guys here, but I thought I'd throw in some thoughts as a follow up to what ny_atom said.

For a long time, as a U2 fan, I was obsessed with the idea of U2 as the greatest band of all time, such and such a song as the greatest song of all time, and AB as the greatest album of all time. Experience has taught me, however, that there is no such thing as the "greatest of all time". Its a Mythical concept - and the more you let yourself get caught up in that concept, the more likely you are to be disappointed in new output by the band. This happens for two main reasons. 1) greatness is rarely recognized in its own time. 2) Not everything created is meant to be "great" (in the sense of moving and profound)

The mark of a great artist is not wether or not everything they create is groundbreaking-ly brilliant, rather it is wether or not they are able to communicate their ideas effectively, it is wether or not they are able to capture a moment or a feeling and bottle that up for everyone to see or hear.

So, is this the greatest U2 song of all time? No, of course not. There is no greatest U2 song of all time. But does this song communicate its idea effectively? Does it capture a moment and a feeling? Absolutely. So I give it a 10/10.

I agree with everything in the frist half of your post. Good job on the first post :up: hopefully we will see plenty more from you in future :wave:

I do have some reservations as to your interpretation as a 'fuck you' to terrorists. It all depends on YOUR definition of terrorist. Are you refering to them in the traditional ACTUAL sense where it is ANYONE who uses illegitimate force and destruction for political/religious means. Or are you using the modern americanised (sorry if that offends anyone) use meaning anyone of middle-eastern appearance? I see it as a 'terror breeds terror' song, where 9/11 was awful, devastating, yet the reaction (bombing IRAQ when the threat came from AFGHANISTAN) was just as bad. If not worse as many more innocent people were slaughtered.

Not a bad interpretation.
I agree with everything in the frist half of your post. Good job on the first post :up: hopefully we will see plenty more from you in future :wave:

I do have some reservations as to your interpretation as a 'fuck you' to terrorists. It all depends on YOUR definition of terrorist. Are you refering to them in the traditional ACTUAL sense where it is ANYONE who uses illegitimate force and destruction for political/religious means. Or are you using the modern americanised (sorry if that offends anyone) use meaning anyone of middle-eastern appearance? I see it as a 'terror breeds terror' song, where 9/11 was awful, devastating, yet the reaction (bombing IRAQ when the threat came from AFGHANISTAN) was just as bad. If not worse as many more innocent people were slaughtered.
Pffffffffft. Terrorists are brown.

By "terrorist/fear mongerer" I meant anybody who uses fear to manipulate the actions of others. Take that to mean what you will.

By "terrorist/fear mongerer" I meant anybody who uses fear to manipulate the actions of others. Take that to mean what you will.

You might be onto something with your interpretation.

Also, welcome to blue crack!

I agree 100 % :applaud:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom