The (RED) Thread - Discuss Products Only!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, thanks Jamila. I had e-mailed them before, but didn't get a reply yet.

What's the difference between Motorola and 'the carrier'? Is 'the carrier' the store where I bought it? Or Sprint? Why would there be a difference between the two? Ah well, at least it still donated a bit of the money to the Fund, glad to know it wasn't a total waste.

bonocomet said:
Ok 1st 3 of 10 pages from Vogue December 2007

They are large files so click on the thumbnails to see the full pages.

I have to run an errand, I'll continue when I return :wave:

Ok I aim to finish posting the artcle now :)

And at first glance that pic DOES look very POP, no denying that! :drool:

4 of 10

Wow, glad to hear so much going on with RED! Thanks everyone for the info. And thanks you bonocomet for scanning and posting the Vogue article. I have seen this picture in the Misc thread and wasn't sure if it was a recent photo of Bono. He looks so hot! Thank you.

bonocomet said:
I got the issue today. I'll scan the article. And it's a new Bono pic. :wink:

Oh thanks for the heads up about the Vogue article! :up: I'm going to have check out my local newagents tomorrow and put an order in if the December issue isn't available yet! :hyper: I just want to clarify that it's the US version of the magazine that has this article? :hmm:

Checked today, but Vogue isn't out yet ... it's a bit confusing, because there are so many different Vogue editions, one is from December, but it has a silver cover and no Penelope Cruz and the article about Bono and Damian Hirst isn't in there, so I guess I have to wait a bit longer.

last unicorn said:
Checked today, but Vogue isn't out yet ... it's a bit confusing, because there are so many different Vogue editions, one is from December, but it has a silver cover and no Penelope Cruz and the article about Bono and Damian Hirst isn't in there, so I guess I have to wait a bit longer.

That's exactly why I need clarification, coz there's a UK version, which is probably the one you found, and a US version. And I think there might even be a European version!? :shrug:

Fille Friday said:
Ah, thanks Jamila. I had e-mailed them before, but didn't get a reply yet.

What's the difference between Motorola and 'the carrier'? Is 'the carrier' the store where I bought it? Or Sprint? Why would there be a difference between the two? Ah well, at least it still donated a bit of the money to the Fund, glad to know it wasn't a total waste.

the carrier is referring to the network, i.e Sprint. I think if you buy directly from motorola you have to select a carrier. I have it and bought mine thru Sprint because I already have an account with them. I upgraded from the previous phone I had. I know that there is another carrier out there besides Sprint that has the (RED) razr but I am not sure who that is..

U2Fanatic4ever said:

the carrier is referring to the network, i.e Sprint. I think if you buy directly from motorola you have to select a carrier. I have it and bought mine thru Sprint because I already have an account with them. I upgraded from the previous phone I had. I know that there is another carrier out there besides Sprint that has the (RED) razr but I am not sure who that is..

The above statement is correct regarding who is "the carrier". Evidently, the carriers originally were putting in half of the original $17 that went to the Global Fund when the (RED) RAZR phone was bought and activated but that seems to have changed.

Motorola is still putting in its "half" of the original $17 to go to the Global Fund. :up:

I'm glad that I was able to get a quick response from (RED) regarding this issue to make sure that correct info is given out about (RED).

:bonodrum: :hi5:

hcbiggs2002 said:

That's exactly why I need clarification, coz there's a UK version, which is probably the one you found, and a US version. And I think there might even be a European version!? :shrug:

In my original post on the previous page of this thread, I clearly identified that this article on (RED) is in the Dec. 2007 issue of Vogue (USA).

(It could be in the other editions of Vogue but I don't know about those.)

This should have clarified which edition of Vogue that I was speaking of. :wink:

Where do you look to find which edition it is? I can't find anywhere on mine that specifies, except for the fact that the price is indicated in $ on the bar code, but I'm guessing that even the other editions will say that too if they are being sold in the US.

bonocomet, normally it will indicate on the magazine if it is the UK or USA or some other edition of a magazine.

If the price code on the side of the mag is in dollars, you can bet that's the USA/Canada edition.

If the price on the side of the mag is in euros, that's definitely a European edition and if the price on the side of the mag is in pounds, then it's definitely the UK edition.

I hope that this helps. :wink:

Thanks. I still don't see anything other than the upc code $ symbol though indicating the version so I just wondered if there was anything else somewhere identifying versions. I know I have seen these other versions being sold side by side in the book store, and it would be strange if they didn't have a $ sign while being sold in an American store... :scratch: I'll have to look at the codes next time I'm in the store I guess. Still seems like there would be somewhere in or on the magazine indicating US or UK issues.

Jamila said:

In my original post on the previous page of this thread, I clearly identified that this article on (RED) is in the Dec. 2007 issue of Vogue (USA).

(It could be in the other editions of Vogue but I don't know about those.)

This should have clarified which edition of Vogue that I was speaking of. :wink:

Thanks for the clarification! :up: I checked out the different Vogues at my local newsagents and there was an Italian Vogue edition, a French Vogue edition and a German Vogue! It says so right on the cover (between the O of the word Vogue!)also all the text is in the perspective languages. But no US version.

And when I asked when, or if, the US December Vogue edition would be in, they said the november one hadn't even arrived yet let alone the December issue, which should have come today!?! So I just have to wait and hope for the best!! :shrug:

Oh ok thanks hcb, I guess only the non US versions say that on the front since mine doesn't say anything there.
Good luck getting it!

Stopped by Hallmark today and picked up the (RED) paper for gift wrapping and the last (RED) glass ornament they had. It's very pretty!

Today in our elementary school my kids 2 teachers from last year had a (RED) breakfast for the other teachers in the school. Everything was including M&M's!!! They used the wrapping paper to make decorations, red lighting and hung the red cards all over the place with (RED) candles and red colored christmas balls. They had raffles and gave away red stuff!!!!

Regarding the new (RED) bracelets designed by Julia Roberts:

Hitting the stands on Friday, November 30, just in time for World AIDS Day, the latest issue of People Magazine features the Emporio Armani (PRODUCT) RED bracelets designed by Julia Roberts in the Style Watch section. Get your copy on Friday!

These bracelets are a little out of my affordable price range but if you can afford them - purchase them!

They do look like GREAT bracelets. :cute: :hug:

Wow Jc, that's really cool. What's that old saying... what goes around, comes around. What you started in that school has made a lasting impression on both the children and the teachers. That rocks!

Here is a recent article by Bobby Shriver which explains the BRILLIANCE of PRODUCT (RED).

On this World AIDS Day, it is a great article to read and remember the losses that we have suffered from AIDS - and also our achievements in our movement to make extreme poverty history.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/joepublic/2007/11/the_notforprofit_business.html

THE NOT-FOR-PROFIT BUSINESS

Bobby Shriver explains how his enterprise (RED) - which has generated $50m for the Global Fund for Aids - offers an alternative fundraising model.

November 29, 2007 9:00 AM

On this blog the other week there was further evidence of the growing disquiet as to the efficiency and effectiveness of the charity sector. Charities are coming under increasing pressure to be more open about how the money they raise is being spent and what percentage goes to target causes.

It's a difficult issue and one that any fundraising organisation has to be aware of as donors become more concerned about where their generous contributions go.

As co-founders of (RED), Bono and I had this very much in mind when we were considering what we could do to keep sustainable funds flowing into the Global Fund, a public-private partnership that was doing so much good to fight Aids but was finding it difficult to get private sector donations.

So we came up with a new plan - what if we could create a brand that meant the businesses became the fundraisers themselves? We announced the idea of (RED) just over 20 months ago at the World Economic Forum in Davos in 2006, and full lines of (RED) partner collections have been on sale for over a year.

Now we're announcing in time for the 20th World Aids Day on Saturday that (RED) consumer action has generated over $50m for the Global Fund to finance Aids treatment in Africa. This also coincides with the publishing of our first (RED) Report, a complete look at how (RED) money is generated, how our business model works, and where the (RED) money is spent.

That is why (RED) is unique. It is a not-for-profit business, not a charity, and the money provided to the Global Fund is completely accountable. It's a unique, but simple business model: our partners' products take on the (PRODUCT) RED mark and donate up to 50% of the profit from the sale of these products directly to the Global Fund.

When great partner companies create great products that appeal to consumers, they generate hard cash for the Global Fund and also for themselves. When this happens, companies carry on investing in these products, updating them and creating new ones to succeed them. In this way, the stream to the Global Fund need never stop, because a virtuous circle is established.

100% of (RED) profits that the Global Fund receives go to grants on the ground, in Rwanda, Swaziland and most recently Ghana. The Global Fund tracks the influx of (RED) money from our partner companies right through to its distribution to the different program activities in these countries, so we know exactly where each penny generated from (PRODUCT) RED is going.

So far, over $30m from (PRODUCT) RED sales from our current partners Gap, American Express, Emporio Armani, Motorola, Converse, Apple and Hallmark, have already been disbursed on the ground to grants in the three African countries.

Each country must submit a comprehensive proposal to the Global Fund as to how and where any allocated funds will be spent before any funds are granted, and only those that can demonstrate a rigorous and holistic approach are chosen as recipients. What is more, the ongoing continuation of their funding depends on their performance against targets.

Results in the three Global Fund grants where (RED) money has already flowed are impressive. In Rwanda 316,414 pregnant women have been reached with counselling and services to reduce the risk of mother to child transmission of HIV, as well as 212,000 people to completing the HIV testing and counselling process in Ghana. 156 midwives and doctors have been trained in the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Swaziland, and 14,571 patients have been provided with antiretroviral therapy for HIV/Aids in Rwanda. These are just a few examples our report covers.

Our job is to grow (RED) and make it consistently attractive across more business categories in order to continue its sustainability. Our new report outlines what our partnerships have accomplished so far, and shows just what the power of consumer choice can yield.

Many individuals and organizations are working tirelessly in this field. Our business model offers an alternative, a complement to established fundraising- and perhaps even an introduction to some new donors. Shopping for benefit helps consumers, companies AND those in need. It's also a way to drive corporate social responsibility more deeply into an organization as a core operational initiative rather than simply a philanthropic add-on.

True accountability rests on authenticity of action and openness of purpose, as well as results. When the mass of discriminating consumers are also acting as donors by proxy, they'll demand to know where the money goes. And that's a powerful new tool of transparency.

· Bobby Shriver is chairman and co-founder of (RED)

:bonodrum: :hi5: :hug:

Bono's Doll said:
OMG :drool: :drool: over the (RED) Military Sweater (but crying cause it's $178 :sad: ) Santa?

I saw the military sweater and didn't like it so much. I really liked the empire waist sweater alot. If you want something really nice, the military coat is a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom