The (RED) Thread - Discuss Products Only!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shopped at the Gap yesterday and bought some (red) presents.When I went to the checkout, the sales clerk handed me the Individuals book and said it was a gift! They must have a huge supply to get rid of.

Mostly the accesories were on sale, which make nice stocking stuffers, those leather bracelets ate $1.99. The baby stuff was reasonable as well. The little onsies are really marked down, some $3.99. Bought a bunch for my grandsons along with thermal tees to wear under for the winter. Very cute!

The book was a free gift yesterday if you spent a certain amount, like $50 or something. My Gap had (and always has) a crap selection. It took me a while to even find what they DID have :grumpy:

kassandra said:
Shopped at the Gap yesterday and bought some (red) presents.

Me too! We're you at Smith Haven? I got a terrific scarf. We all should meet at The Cheesecake Factory for a drink during the holiday season.

Lila64 said:
The book was a free gift yesterday if you spent a certain amount, like $50 or something. My Gap had (and always has) a crap selection. It took me a while to even find what they DID have :grumpy:

Crap! I didn't know that. I went and bought a shirt and some pins. The girl threw in of the old style pins and said they were extras for me. I thought I was special. :sad:

There was a sign up at my store indicating the book - don't know if it was everywhere or what-have-you. You're still special :hug:

There's a really good large (grocery) canvas bag, it says (RED)UCE and it had a lovely African silouhette. I bought one, it was 20 dollars.

There's also this amazing limited edition black teddy bear, 400 units, made and designed in Africa by 'as many as 20 African Women'. It was 100 dollars. Didn't get it, but was VERY tempted.

Not too many things on sale. I LOVE the men's jumpers.

Had a look at the book-- Bono's not in it

Fille Friday said:
There's a really good large (grocery) canvas bag, it says (RED)UCE and it had a lovely African silouhette. I bought one, it was 20 dollars.

There's also this amazing limited edition black teddy bear, 400 units, made and designed in Africa by 'as many as 20 African Women'. It was 100 dollars. Didn't get it, but was VERY tempted.

Not too many things on sale. I LOVE the men's jumpers.

Had a look at the book-- Bono's not in it

was this at a gap store near you? I take it you live in the UK...

San Francisco flagship store Powell and Market.

Used to live in Ireland, England, but not anymore...

Here is a good reason to look at the latest issue of Vogue magazine:

BONO AND DAMIEN HIRST TO HOST (RED) ART AUCTION

Pick up the December issue of Vogue, on newsstands now, for a double dose of (RED)! While (RED) friend Penelope Cruz graces the cover, (RED) co-founder Bono and Damien Hirst preview their upcoming (RED) art auction, to be held Valentine's Day at Sotheby's New York. With donated works from more than 60 contemporary artists, including Jasper Johns, Jeff Koons, Cecily Brown, Takashi Murakami, and of course, Damien Hirst, the auction seeks to raise $46 million for the Global Fund, to fight AIDS in Africa.

(from the RED website)

:bonodrum: :hug:

Wow, Jasper Johns is still considered 'contemporary'? I didn't even know he was still alive. Murakami and Hirst in one auction, god I think I'd have an art attack...

Interesting thing, I bought the RedRazor mobile today, and I asked the salesman, 'So how much of my sale will go to the Fund?'

None, apparently. They still sell the phone, but it's no longer going to the Fund. I was very surprised.

Wait what? It's not still labeled as a Product (RED) item then is it?

And thanks for that info Jamila :up:

Just was at the Motorola website and all the Product RED items say statements like this:

"With each sale of a RED Motorazr V3m, a contribution will be made to The Global Fund to help fight AIDS in Africa. Contributions from the sale of (MOTO) RED products vary by product, country, and carrier/retailer. "

So it does vary, but I can't believe they could say the contribution is 0%. :huh: Something doesn't sound right about that.

Last edited:
No, it is. Motorola (RED) on the back, a cute lil screensaver, the works. He said it was so popular in February, everyone wanted a red phone to give to their lovies, and it made so much money for the Fund, but now they're just selling them until the inventory goes out. Its profits, usual donation, whatever it gave, is not given to the Fund anymore, so he says.

maybe it was just my area...

Last edited:
That's strange, because it seems false advertising to me. :shrug:

One thing I did notice though is that they also sell a "ruby red" colored phone, same model, which is NOT a Product RED item. But it doesn't sound like thats what you have.

Jasper Johns....nice :hmm: Sothebys NYC February??? "ROADTRIP!!!"

This is what a Jasper Johns looks like for those of you who are wondering.
Zero-Nine-Print-I10069898.jpg

Flag-1954-Print-I10009215.jpg

Does the individuals book have Bono in it? :hmm: I remember seeing a book on Gap Icons or something and he was on the inside cover....

A couple of comments:

bonocomet (and everybody else) - you're welcomed!

I was glad to share the news of this (RED) Art Auction for Valentine's Day. :hug:

If you haven't seen the article yet in the Dec. 2007 Vogue magazine (USA), I would highly recommend taking a look at it at your local store.

You may wish to purchase the magazine for the article on the (RED) art auction or not but you should at least take a look at the magazine to see if you wish to buy it.

I ended up buying it tonight at the grocery store because it has several pages of the art work that will be auctioned off plus a page long pic of Bono in a hoodie but I think this pic was from the POP era and not a recent one (although I could be wrong on that.) :bonodrum:

Also, I think that the person selling the Motorola (RED) Razr phone was either misinformed or overtly misleading the poster when they said that the RAZR phone was no longer a (RED) product because it is!!

If you could tell me in what city this misinformation took place about the Motorola (RED) RAZR then I can pass the info along the (RED) chain of command so that (RED) can straighten things out about its products.

Motorola gave about $17 of every purchase of its RAZR phone to (RED) and I don't think that this has changed.

Thanks for the info. :hi5:

Babydoll said:
Takashi Murakami donated stuff????? :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I MUST get it this NOW :drool:

Murakami's contribution is reproduced in the article, was having a look at it today, my mate bought it, she loves Vogue... Hirst's contribution was reproduced, as was Brown's, which I liked. Two nice pictures: one of Mr. B, the other of Mr. Hirst.

Ok 1st 3 of 10 pages from Vogue December 2007

They are large files so click on the thumbnails to see the full pages.

I have to run an errand, I'll continue when I return :wave:

The Killers' second holiday single "Don't Shoot Me Santa" is now available for digital download, with all proceeds going to benefit the RED Campaign (The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria in Africa).

The video for "Don't Shoot Me Santa" will be premiering on FUSE this Thursday, November 29th, check local listings for time and channel.

The Killers :up: Listening to it now :)

Oh thanks! I bought the Product RED song last year too :up:

By the way guys sorry I haven't finished posting the Vogue article... I got distracted then had to go to work... I'll finish it up at home tonight!

JCOSTER said:
Nice Bono Picture thanks comet!

I do believe thats a more recent picture than POP era since he is wearing Armanis. :shrug:

Thanks bonocomet for scanning the article and pics for those who do not have the issue yet.

Last night in a very busy grocery store, I wasn't able to take the time to study Bono's face for the Armanis - I just picked up the issue and checked out my groceries.

When I got home, I never got the chance to look at the article again because I had laundry to do and groceries to put away. :wink:

Otherwise I would have known for sure if the Bono pic was a newer one or older one.

No biggie actually. :shrug:

I'm just glad that bonocomet was able to find the mag and scan it for everybody else. :applaud:

Here is what I learned today from (RED) about the Motorola (RED) RAZR phones:

Hi Debbie –

(PRODUCT) RED phones are still available at US Cellular and Sprint. Motorola contributes 8.50 for every (PRODUCT) RED device sold.

The carrier no longer makes a contribution to the Global Fund so that might be where the confusion is. We’ve messaged this at JOINRED and on the Motorola site.

Motorola is absolutely still selling (RED) devices, but they do make red-colored phones that aren’t (RED)…just as they make a black-colored RAZR in the UK , which is (RED).

Thanks!

- (RED)

I hope that clarifies a few things for all of us. :hi5:

Thanks for all your interest in (RED) to support the Global Fund (www.theglobalfund.org)

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom