Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On a different note, I think I’ve finished my playlist. I’ll try to get some artwork uploaded soon and a little blurb about it submitted.

Thanks again ElMel for setting this up. It feels like a little piece of nostalgia.

I think it’s best to mock only those who genuinely need to be mocked, and not those who might just seem fucked up because they’re a little lost or just immature.

I think it’s best to mock only those who genuinely need to be mocked, and not those who might just seem fucked up because they’re a little lost or just immature.

I think it is only really good to mock those who can handle it, although I do think on some level mocking (particularly when at a younger age) can build character.

That's the problem I'm having. I went back to try to find the post for IYup this morning and ended up going down a rabbit hole of realizing we cyber-bullied the shit out of him, but also he exhibited really disturbing behaviors towards the women on this forum.

I feel a lot of guilt, but also confusion about how I should be feeling. But we really did openly mock him incessantly.

There are things in his Interference journal that are honestly really creepy to read. I worry about what happened to him, but he's one of the few people from that group that I don't know the real name of so I can't stalk check in on him.

I hope he's doing okay. I don't really remember these dark posts, but I don't remember a huge deal about years ago anyway. That playlist description + hearing about these posts + recalling some of his posts in the playlist thread make me think that he was really struggling with himself and was projecting it onto women.

I think it is only really good to mock those who can handle it, although I do think on some level mocking (particularly when at a younger age) can build character.

i'm not so sure. it's not easy for a lot of young kids and teens to learn where the line is between good-natured roasting and mean bullying (or worse), and to restrain themselves from crossing it once they do. i experienced a lot of both and i don't know for certain that any "character" i have today is worth having experienced some of the more painful memories i still carry in my mid-30s.

Last edited:
sorry if it came across as if i thought you were condoning bullying, i know for sure that's definitely not what you meant.

i think i understand what you were saying though. i developed a sarcastic wit as a defense mechanism because i was too small to fight back physically. i'm proud (sometimes a little too much) of that aspect of myself and i don't think that would be a part of me to such an extent if i hadn't been bullied as a kid and figured out some way to push back. and of course i did have a lot of fun joking around with family and friends roasting each other from time to time, and maybe here on interference too once or twice lol.

not at all all good!

I'm similar. bullying forced me to develop a very self-deprecating style of humour, which has held me in good stead.

i resonated a lot with some movie... I saw it on a plane once. I think it had that TJ Miller or whatever his name is guy in it. and he gets bullied at some point, I think about pissing his pants, or having a small dick or something... and I think he either gives himself a nickname or gets given a nickname, and I think he's giving advice to someone, or talking about how he started like bullying himself before his mates could do it, and it worked. what the fuck movie is that.

billy-madison-peeing-pants.gif

woahhhhh Laz the film savant likes dumb frat boy humour film???????

and no, I looked it up, and the movie I was thinking of was She's Out of My League. I can't find the clip though.

The most interesting pattern I'm seeing across the first 8 tracklistings: there are not one, not two, but three lists dedicated to different American cities.

I noticed in my list that I included songs from 6 different decades (60s, 70s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s) but nothing from the 80s. My DI 10 entry was almost all 80s songs. :lol: Guess we need some time apart.

Edit: Deleted my original question (which cities) as maybe that's spoiler?

Last edited:
I noticed in my list that I included songs from 6 different decades (60s, 70s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s) but nothing from the 80s. My DI 10 entry was almost all 80s songs. :lol: Guess we need some time apart.

Not that we can do this now, but if there is a future DI, maybe we could add the release year to the tracklist. That adds some value, I think.

Edit: Deleted my original question (which cities) as maybe that's spoiler?

I wouldn't answer that, but I think you can figure out which cities if you scan the thread closely.

Still waiting to hear back from Joey and GAF :angry: They may have left us in the lurch.

pretty surprised to look back and see that i have no songs from the 60s and only one from the 90s in my playlist. if i had given it days or weeks of thought then i'm sure i would have included more but as it stands i'm really happy with what i submitted, i've been listening to my list nearly every day while working.

Uhhh I think my earliest track might be from 2005...:hmm:

Wasn't intentional but I have a heavy recency bias when making playlists...two of the tracks are from groups I saw in the month before lockdown.

I hadn't realized this and it wasn't really done on purpose (though it will make sense once you know the theme of my playlist), but 40% of the songs I have were released between 1973 and 1977. The oldest one is from 1955 and the most recent one is from 2017.

Uhhh I think my earliest track might be from 2005...:hmm:

Wasn't intentional but I have a heavy recency bias when making playlists...two of the tracks are from groups I saw in the month before lockdown.

Mine is exclusively within the last 10 years.

23/38 of the tracks on my list are from the 2010s. No real reason, just captured the sound I was going for better than any other time period.

Oldest song is from 1963, newest is from this year.

Unless she decides to cut something, and she has told me she can't bring herself to, Ashley's list is longer than mine by a couple minutes. Like 156 minutes vs 154 or something like that. Ours are, needless to say, the longest so far lol

Dave's list is by far the shortest, the rest are in the 100-130 minute range.

Back
Top Bottom