Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
also, I'm not even close to finishing my list lol. when's the deadline? 20th? what time?

It's the 20th at 11:59 PM PST, but I'm gonna roll it back a little if Joey or GAF get back to me at the 11th hour and still want to submit something.

Let's call the date flexible, but I'd love to have some lists for you guys before that following weekend.

Unless she decides to cut something, and she has told me she can't bring herself to, Ashley's list is longer than mine by a couple minutes. Like 156 minutes vs 154 or something like that. Ours are, needless to say, the longest so far lol

Dave's list is by far the shortest, the rest are in the 100-130 minute range.

Mine will top both of yours. I believe I will have seconds to spare under the 160-minute limit. I'm actually over right now, I have to make some last-minute cuts. It's killing me. Concision has never been my strong suit in these things.

Suffice it to say, despite that I haven't been posting much, I'm still here, I'm still in, I've been slaving over this thing, and I hope to have it submitted in the next couple days.

Yeah, I'm currently over as well. Mine is a two-parter (like my previous submissions), and as a general rule I usually keep them each under the maximum CD limit, I guess because I'm a traditionalist.

Looks like I'll have to axe one track from each part, but that's still going to leave me with a total of 41 :ohmy:

It's the 20th at 11:59 PM PST, but I'm gonna roll it back a little if Joey or GAF get back to me at the 11th hour and still want to submit something.

Let's call the date flexible, but I'd love to have some lists for you guys before that following weekend.
My list is practically done. Might sit with it for another day and see if anything else strikes me, but I'm almost ready to submit.

Well Sufjan's not gonna fucking do it.

:lol:

My list is almost entirely 80s and 90s...what a shock. I was trying not to have anything newer, actively, but a pretty recent track slipped in there.

Yeah, I'm currently over as well. Mine is a two-parter (like my previous submissions), and as a general rule I usually keep them each under the maximum CD limit, I guess because I'm a traditionalist.

Looks like I'll have to axe one track from each part, but that's still going to leave me with a total of 41 :ohmy:

Ah shit, thanks for reminding me that I wanted to do this as well, so I do need to remove one track from the first half.

Sorry all for ghosting a bit. Work this week was absolutely exhausting.

My playlist is looking pretty decent. Gonna give it another listen tomorrow and finalize. It might be the longest one I’ve ever submitted for Desert Island. I’m at two and a half hours. Just trying to decide whether to split it into two segments. I probably should. Also all of the songs but one were released within my lifetime, though most are from last decade.

But I’m looking forward to hearing all of your lists!

Questions for El Mel, and I'm posting this here instead of a PM in case it helps anyone else:

1. If the song used is a single version/non-album track/b-side etc. do we just use the A-side title/repeat the track name for the album name? This would include songs officially posted on YouTube that do not have an affiliated album.

2. If I have a two-part playlist, do I restart the track numbers at the beginning of the second part, or do you want the numbers to just continue incrementally from the last track of the first part?

1. I ran into this issue with my list. Use the title and put (Single) after it so we know where it came from. Part of the logic behind including that information was so we could find the origin of the songs ourselves if we liked them, but this is less essential in the streaming era.

2. If they are two distinct discs, restart the count from 1 at the split. If it's a single playlist with defined sections, keep the count going and include breaks with descriptors in the tracklist so we know to look out for them.

The two disc thing (which I’m using) is weird in the playlist/streaming era. Hopefully people will pay some attention to where a disc ends and another starts. I almost put a silent/ambient track in between to mark the transition.

I suppose you could have created two separate playlists and just labelled disc 1 disc 2?

I've ended up with a really wanky story around my list. It wasn't even intentional, I was just assembling songs that all seem to speak to me at the moment in self-isolation, but I started making notes and thought I'd have some fun concocting a story for the competition. There's definitely a knowing wink or two behind its serious tone.

The two disc thing (which I’m using) is weird in the playlist/streaming era. Hopefully people will pay some attention to where a disc ends and another starts. I almost put a silent/ambient track in between to mark the transition.

Yeah, mine has multiple parts and the transitions aren't all smooth, definitely a bit weirder in the streaming era.

I've also noticed that depending on your settings Spotify will keep playing other songs once the list ends, which can really blow a big ending. I'm also mildly worried that songs available on Spotify in one country won't be in another, but let's hope none of us have that problem! I had thought I couldn't include one song in my list because for years Death and the Maiden had only their debut album on Spotify, not their most recent one, but I checked this evening and it's there so I've made a substitution.

I've also noticed that depending on your settings Spotify will keep playing other songs once the list ends, which can really blow a big ending. I'm also mildly worried that songs available on Spotify in one country won't be in another, but let's hope none of us have that problem! I had thought I couldn't include one song in my list because for years Death and the Maiden had only their debut album on Spotify, not their most recent one, but I checked this evening and it's there so I've made a substitution.

In preferences for spotify turn off the option auto-play...will stop it playing anything else when a playlist or album ends.

Yeah, I’ve been ready myself. Although I also don’t want the weekend to be over. Hm.

I've heard from everyone who wants to participate in at least the last couple of days and there's significant progress being made across the board, so I don't anticipate any significant delays. We should be able to get this started on Tuesday.

Yeah, mine has multiple parts and the transitions aren't all smooth, definitely a bit weirder in the streaming era.

LM can we add like a 10 second silent track between the parts of a playlist?

LM can we add like a 10 second silent track between the parts of a playlist?
Haha if you can find an official release, why not? You just can't edit tracks in any way.

May I recommend the silent track from Summerteeth?

I'm still putting the finishing touches on mine. I thought it was completely done yesterday, and then I woke up today and had a change of heart about some things.

Question: the rules in the OP stated that we could, this time, use tracks that we've used before in previous DIs. Has anyone actually done this? I'm trying not to, but there's one track I'm tempted on due to fit.

The following lists are finished and have been submitted:

LemonMelon
gump
iron yuppie
Joey788
GirlsAloudFan
LJT
Jerry Dunk
the tourist
LuckyNumber7
DaveC

The following I have heard in full but there are still minor tweaks being done:

bono_212
Axver

The following I have not received anything from yet but expect to very soon:

lazarus
cobl04
namkcuR

There are 24 hours left before the deadline. Make them count!

Last edited:
Haha if you can find an official release, why not? You just can't edit tracks in any way.

May I recommend the silent track from Summerteeth?

Interestingly that is now a standalone track on Spotify. But I might lose Laz's vote if I add it.

Well there is a 10 second silent track on Spotify, which I added between the two discs of my playlist...

Back
Top Bottom