Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of years ago a few people took the same avatar (I think it was Vintage Punk's originally), but in increasingly smaller size as a bit of fun, elfa got the smallest one and has kept it since if I recall.

I think Vintage Punk still has that avatar

Going back to Hear Us Coming (not the house walls are too thin version), there's a variation that effectively is My Sweet Lord. I can't find it to save myself, but I think it was Popmart?

That tops the "original" by 1000 miles.

Then it laps the "original" and laughs at it.

There's some great versions of Mysterious Ways with a My Sweet Lord snippet during the extended outro.

Literally my U2 fucking holy grail and they fucking go and do this like London was fucking chopped liver.

This hurts even more than sitting outside Dublin 3 listening to the soundcheck of Electrical Storm and Drowning Man, only for neither to be played.

Also, shut the fuck up Mikal. I have no idea why your current agenda is to promote a song that has been played on every tour since its debut and will stay in the setlist as long as U2 keep touring, rather than a song effectively not played for 30 years and unlikely to be played on any future tour.

And just to make it worse I've now sat through motherfucking Ultra what a piece of shit Violet at HALF the U2 gigs I've ever seen. That's 11 out of 22. My god.

I really should've quit seeing the band after those Auckland 2006 shows. Haven't had a decent setlist since. There've been plenty of shows with great stuff in the set, but never when I'm there.

Also, shut the fuck up Mikal. I have no idea why your current agenda is to promote a song that has been played on every tour since its debut and will stay in the setlist as long as U2 keep touring, rather than a song effectively not played for 30 years and unlikely to be played on any future tour.

That sucks that Bad was dropped tonight. :D

When you can title a bootleg A Sort of Romecoming, you know it was meant to be

Seriously though wtf

Why the hell you've decided to play the dick on this, I don't know.

Can't you leave that sort of silly bugger shit to, I don't know, Muldfeld or one of those clowns?

I've made it no secret that I consider ASOH an average song. There are 4-5 songs I'd rather hear from the TUF era.

My thought here is that there are much worse things that can happen in life than U2 not playing a certain song. Some of the comments just seem a little over dramatic. It took me about 2.5 seconds to get over they I missed out on Zooropa in 2011, and that's my favorite U2 song.

Well he has been going around parading "oh no Bad is dropped!" every time somebody posts something in favour of ASOH.

And I think my question about why you'd pick a song played every tour over a rarity deserves an answer. I mean, Bad is in my top five songs, I've normally been thrilled to bits to hear it, but if it was Bad or a rarity I've never heard before? Even a rarity I'm not tremendously fussed about? I'll take the rarity any day because it's either that or never. I'm not a particularly big fan of, say, Seconds or Two Hearts Beat As One, but given their obscurity, if I had a choice I'd take either of them over one performance of Bad. Bad will be back. Those two? Really unlikely.

Also, the ASOH thing at London 2 fucking stung - just ask djerdap about my facial expression when the opening loop of Bad kicked in, versus how excited I was about it the night before. But I'd accepted that ASOH had simply been dropped, with possibly the exception of Dublin, and had moved on. Now this is huge salt in the wound. Worse, I've just found out it WAS originally planned for London 2 but the band took it out because they hadn't rehearsed it - despite having had a fucking whole special rehearsal session before those two gigs.

And maybe this would sting less if the rest of the setlist was great, but outside of JT side 2 there is no reason to see this tour. That encore bored me senseless at London 1 and Berlin (MW excepted at the latter), and I only danced like a lunatic at London 2 because I'd drank about six pints and you do silly things after six pints!

I get it. I know how hard it was for me to be positive about LA2 after ASOH wasn't played (and I'd got it the night before). And I think mikal was being a ~little bit~ of a dick about it. It's okay to be crushed at missing a song. I would think that of anywhere, people here would be able to understand that feeling.

From cori's FB, surprised no one has posted this yet, via u2songs:

U2 has been having listening sessions for the new album at each stop of the tour. These sessions are for music professionals and members of the music industry. We have heard reports that these sessions have been ongoing since the Philadelphia show on the first leg, and they are continuing in Europe. The band are not playing the entire Songs of Experience album, but reports are they are playing between four and eight songs. In the earliest sessions they played five to six songs, but may have played as many as eight in Toronto. The sessions in Europe have reverted to a smaller number of songs. Timing may play into how many songs are played, as these sessions are taking place right before showtime. The session last night in Rome was attended by The Edge, Adam Clayton and Bono.

“Red Flag Day” has been mentioned as having been played at one of these sessions in North America. “The Light at Home” (perhaps previously known as “The Light”) has been mentioned by The Edge as one of the songs he’s loving on the new album. “American Soul” has been described as a real rocker of a tune. “You’re The Best Thing About Me” is being heard, but it isn’t the remixed version by Kygo, but a more U2 sounding alternate mix.

And remember those lines Bono sang on “XXX” by Kendrick Lamar? There was some confusion as to why it was listed as U2 on that collaboration, when it appeared that only Bono was present on that song with Lamar. It likely the song was initially credited to U2, because the lyrics have been taken from a U2 song, a song that has now been heard in these preview sessions. But we’re told the lyrics are a bit slower on the Kendrick Lamar track than on the actual U2 version.

The first single from the album was originally rumoured for a July release, but is now being confirmed to arrive in eight weeks. The song should be released to radio the first week of September, just as the band starts the third leg of The Joshua Tree 2017 tour. The single will not be “The Little Things that Give You Away,” but appears to be “You’re the Best Thing About Me” based on these current sessions where they are sharing information about the plan for the fall.

The album will follow this year, but not until the end of the year. From previous information shared with us, we expect the release date will be December 1, 2017, which also happens to be World AIDS Day. The band has said they will not release it until the Joshua Tree tour is finished, and the tour is currently scheduled to run until October 22, 2017, so it certainly would not be any earlier than that.

We’ve also been told that the Songs of Experience and Innocence tour is expected to restart next Spring, with ticket sales before Christmas.

Exciting, but if any of that lines up I will be monumentally surprised. The XXX stuff excites me a lot. Hoping that the backing that's on the Kendrick album is on the U2 record as well.

I will cry fanboy tears of joy if anything on the new album sounds like XXX. That's my favorite song U2 has been involved with since Moment of Surrender and instrumentally is the direction I've been wanting them to go in for a while now. That Million Dollar Hotel direction.

I'm with you. It's like a grittier version of Beach Sequence.

Of course if it does appear it will end up just like Cedars of Lebanon, completely ignored and totally unloved by the band.

Hoping that the backing that's on the Kendrick album is on the U2 record as well.

Uhh, isn't that refuted by what you just posted?

And again I thought we already had confirmation that was not the band playing on XXX?

As for ASOH, I'm just dumbfounded. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind their decisions. What sucks is that if they do film this tour for posterity, it's looking like we won't be getting ASOH and Bad on the same night. A real shame IMO, though at least we have a recent filmed version on the I&E Paris release.

Last edited:
Not really? It could just be a quicker pace on the U2 version. All it said was it's slower.

Oh there's no chance they will include ASOH in an official release. Anyone thinking otherwise is high.

Sorry Ax. Didn't realize my posts were pissing you off. You're a good guy.

No worries mate. I shouldn't have got the knives out. But this is really cutting me up. It's more than just "a song" to me, but easily one of my favourites of all time, one I thought would never be played again - to come so close to hearing it makes that even worse, as does the fact almost nothing else in the tour setlist outside of the JT segment gets me tremendously excited.

Also, the ASOH thing at London 2 fucking stung - just ask djerdap about my facial expression when the opening loop of Bad kicked in!

I can confirm this. It was an urgent calling afterwards to go to the bar and get all of that sorted out.

Really sorry, Ax. But I think there's still chance they'll play it at some point again where you'll be attending. It's not that obscure of a song.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom