Random Music Talk LIX: (but doesn't suck)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still keenly remember some girl attempting to sing Creep on Rock Band and failing beyond miserably. One of the few times in my life I can say that I was genuinely embarrassed for someone.

I used to love doing creep. My friend and I would also do the acoustic version. You really need to yell that one note though. We did Street Spirit at a field party once after the 'band' finished playing and it didn't sound too bad either

The trick is to not give a shit. But yes, give us a performance of some sort if you insist on singing navel-gazing sad-bastard songs.

If a karaoke bar had Pyramid Song, I would probably do it :reject:

I don't know what I would do during it, maybe bring up some sock puppets or something

Three of their songs have been used in How I Met Your Mother. "Beautiful Beat" sticks out in my mind because it was used at the end of the St Paddy's Day episode where Ted goes back to the bar to try and find his phone and walks out with the yellow umbrella. A great moment.

They seem a little plain to me.

If a karaoke bar had Pyramid Song, I would probably do it :reject:

I spoke too soon - if someone does a sad-bastard song that I actually like, I'm right there cheering them on and waving my drink around in appreciation.

I'd do that for Pyramid Song. :wink:

I don't do ballads as a general rule, because I feel more comfortable if I can actually make an ass of myself by dancing or something. I don't know what to do during ballads.

My karaoke night out with my old college friend and the cast of Les Miz is this Thursday. I need to pick something good. I was browsing the song list online when I saw the Skillrex selections.

Somebody to Love* is my big piece de resistance, but I'm pretty much out for the count after that one, so I have to save it for last.

*Mr Roboto is my other big number. I usually end up on the floor by the end. KILLROY ...... KILLROY ............................... killroy..............................

I heard a guy do Creep at karaoke once. He killed it.

Back in Wisconsin, it was always the typical karaoke thing - tons of people who couldn't really sing (but did it anyway; good for them!), and then a few decent singers. When I moved out to Seattle, I swear every place I went to had a ridiculously high percentage of good singers.

So weird.

Back in Wisconsin, it was always the typical karaoke thing - tons of people who couldn't really sing (but did it anyway; good for them!), and then a few decent singers. When I moved out to Seattle, I swear every place I went to had a ridiculously high percentage of good singers.

So weird.

I can totally attest to this. That place you took us was ridiculous.

:lol:

You guys were so dismayed. "Where are all the shitty singers?????"

and then the host sang a U2 song in our honor. "Gosh, you guys must be U2 fans or something."

That bar is so weird - it's like a parade of Mellow 70s Gold selections. But I like it because every time I've gone, there's hardly anyone singing, so my friends and I get to sing a lot.

iron yuppie said:
That's the one that got her. Her voice cracked like ten bloody plates on the floor.

Hahahaha yeah, Thom's voice was pretty intense in his youth.

Back when I lived in Maryland, I would go on long walks into the mountains where no one was around, and I would really stretch my voice with those long notes in Black Star. They're pretty high too. That's how you fuck your voice sideways like Bono did. If I kept that up, the only Radiohead song I'd be able to sing is Fitter Happier.

corianderstem said:

So weird.

:yikes:

For me, that would be like going to a Battle of the Bands where they were all talented. Fuck that.

You all come out here and come karaokeing with me and my friends. You will have a grand time, even if you don't want to sing. Or can't sing. I promise.

I like breaking out How Deep is Your Love right out of the gate.
Then maybe a little Careless Whisper part way through the night. Then end off with Don't Stop Me Now

I can't imagine music being less appropriate for karaoke than Radiohead. Hell, I don't even like it when their stuff comes on in a bar, and always wonder why someone would want that kind of thing playing in a loud social situation. Seems to cheapen it for me.

I would like to suggest that whoever has the privilege of titling the next thread should work that ludicrous redhill thread from EYKIW into it somehow.

I really want to try Somebody To Love but the karaoke place doesn't have it. I think it might kick my ass anyway

I will be the life of the party, I guarantee it.

If you ever make your way to Seattle, we will go out for karaoke.

I mean, I'll be asleep on the table at midnight while you're just getting started, but I'll be there! :wink:

I really want to try Somebody To Love but the karaoke place doesn't have it. I think it might kick my ass anyway

This is an embarrassing confession, but the version I know best is the cover George Michael did with the rest of Queen at that Freddy Mercury tribute concert back in the 90s. I went to one karaoke place (a gay bar, natch) that had the GM version, and it was glorious.

So there are a few parts that trip me up in the Queen version, but I muddle through and belt that shit out.

I feel more comfortable singing songs I can belt (90% of the time it's stuff by male singers) than singing girl songs, where I have to use my actual girly singing voice and I feel like I don't have as much control over it on a microphone. It always seems so easy in the car and/or the shower. (Although I usually do okay with Kylie Minogue songs, for some reason.)

Unless we're talking The Carpenters, because bring on that velvet low-ass alto voice! That, I can do.

corianderstem said:
If you ever make your way to Seattle, we will go out for karaoke.

I mean, I'll be asleep on the table at midnight while you're just getting started, but I'll be there! :wink:

False. I would keep a narcoleptic person awake with my antics.

Didn't Freddie Mercury have the widest vocal range that is biologically possible or something like that? I can't recall at the moment how many octaves it was.

iron yuppie said:
Didn't Freddie Mercury have the widest vocal range that is biologically possible or something like that? I can't recall at the moment how many octaves it was.

Nah, he had like a three or four octave range. Mariah claimed she had five (I seriously doubt that she does anymore).

But this was on Yahoo Answers. I could ask how wide my range is and say that it's seven thousand octaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom