Random Music Talk LIX: (but doesn't suck)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The nice thing about Tucumcari when it's 107: it's a dry heat.

That's about the only thing nice about Tucumcari.

You know, people say that "dry heat" stuff, but I don't care, any temperature above 100 sucks.

PM coming your way shortly.

This is another tried-and-true RT topic.

I fucking hate winter. Far too cold. Not sure how I'd survive in a place where the temp hovers at or below 0C during winter.

I hated San Fran's "summer chill". So cold.

We make do. And 0 degrees is warm winter weather compared to how much colder it can get. I love winter, though, it's my favorite season. I'm in a minority on this opinion, I know.

Not a spring person. All that comes to mind when I think of spring in the Plains is severe thunderstorms and tornadoes.

Just now realized this DIIV band is the same as Dive (had to change their name), who's lead single I liked a great deal.

Spotifying now. Less than half way through, likely will be buying from Amazon shortly.

Stereolab is such a brilliant band. I'm listening to my third album of theirs, Dots and Loops, and I'm in love. It's their smoothest, funkiest album. I never hear anybody talk about this one; I would deem it a bit underrated.

Doesn't get a lot of discussion, you're right. Has the unfortunate designation of following Emperor Tomato Ketchup, which I think towers over the others. Was just listening to that a couple days ago.

I think a major issue with Dots and Loops (besides following their masterpiece) is that it functions primarily as smooth sonic wallpaper; relative to the manic krautrock of Transient Random Noise Bursts, it's not exactly gripping. Doesn't change its consistent high quality though.

If you like Lætitia Sadier's voice (I do), there's a whole lot of her on here.

I love Arial. It's the perfect font for people who can't see well/can't think of any further ways to pad out their 8 page essay on Fahrenheit 451.

Can you make them rude postcards? I don't mean the image on the post card has to be rude, but the message written on it. I bet that hardly ever happens

I envision your postcard having no text other than

Dear JT:

GFY

in big letters. (and of course your name and address)

Was browsing through the new releases on Spotify. Attempted to listen to Linkin Park for old times sake. That lasted about a minute.

I don't think I've ever heard a Linkin Park song.

I was just checking out the latest song updates at my favorite karaoke place, and they have two Skillrex songs listed.

... the fuck?

I'd just get up there and do a twitchy dance like that video someone made of Kramer hearing Skillrex for the first time.

Then I'll select some Radiohead and do the Thom Yorke dancing gif back and forth.

I'll be a big hit, I'm sure.

I saw someone sing Paranoid Android. The singer regretted it about halfway through. The rest of us regretted with her.

I've never heard this skrillex thing. Person. Band. Whatever it is. I don't think I want to. I've hear more linkin park than I wish to have heard, but any linkin park is more than anyone should ever have to hear.

Just now realized this DIIV band is the same as Dive (had to change their name), who's lead single I liked a great deal.

Spotifying now. Less than half way through, likely will be buying from Amazon shortly.

I would like this album so much more if it weren't dime a dozen. Good stuff, but not as memorable as I was hoping. They've got the aesthetic down, but the songs aren't really there.

Anyone who likes The Cure should hear it though. Start with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSnYQg2JymY

I saw someone sing Paranoid Android. The singer regretted it about halfway through. The rest of us regretted with her.

I still keenly remember some girl attempting to sing Creep on Rock Band and failing beyond miserably. One of the few times in my life I can say that I was genuinely embarrassed for someone.

Yeah, longer songs don't exactly translate into karaoke material. Short and sweet is the way to go.

I'd just get up there and do a twitchy dance like that video someone made of Kramer hearing Skillrex for the first time.

Then I'll select some Radiohead and do the Thom Yorke dancing gif back and forth.

I'll be a big hit, I'm sure.

I would actually really want to see this.

I reckon Paranoid Android would be funny. Isn't the whole point of karaoke to be entertaining/funny? Taking it seriously doesn't sound like much fun.

Trying to get into Nada Surf. I'm listening to Let Go. It reminds me of Transatlanticism, in that it's straightforward alternative/indie pop that is well written and nicely performed but not at all gripping to me. I'd recommend this to people who are trying to branch out from top 40 radio, but not seasoned listeners who have heard a billion albums like this already.

Plus, I thought these guys did Popular? That song rocks. They're on some emo shit here.

I reckon Paranoid Android would be funny. Isn't the whole point of karaoke to be entertaining/funny? Taking it seriously doesn't sound like much fun.

The trick is to not give a shit. But yes, give us a performance of some sort if you insist on singing navel-gazing sad-bastard songs.

Trying to get into Nada Surf.

I like them, but reached the point where I realized I had enough Nada Surf albums and really did not need any more.

It's good, smart stuff, but not drastically interesting after an album or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom