Random Music Talk LXXVIII: Crashing Miley's Toluca Lake Pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This band just played a song with an identical intro to Grizzly Bear's "Yet Again."

Cobbler is about to see the Stone Roses but still hasn't listened to the debut? How have you guys not just organised a lynching party yet?

I'm just ignoring his musical insanity at this point or my brain will explode. The injustice of it all is too much to bear.

You know, people are always giving good old Cobbler a hard time about listening order, but there's something a bit counter-intuitive about saying "hey, this band is really awesome, but only if you listen to them in this order!"

U2 is way less awesome if you only try one album because Bomb sucks.

This is really funny because Bomb was the first U2 album I heard in full. If you search back through my posts you'll find I probably started several "in defence of Hutdab :angry::angry::angry:" posts.

But I have always found the reactions to my listening habits pretty amusing.

Unrelated... I'm actually really getting into Bones. My housemates watch it. I've seen about 20 episodes now. Interesting cases, hot characters, good drama, sexual tension. Some of the stuff that happens is ridiculous (like one the lab dudes turning out to be a murderer, and a guy who who got devil horn implants) but not a bad show.

Michaela Conlin is soooo hot.

Unrelated... I'm actually really getting into Bones. My housemates watch it. I've seen about 20 episodes now. Interesting cases, hot characters, good drama, sexual tension. Some of the stuff that happens is ridiculous (like one the lab dudes turning out to be a murderer, and a guy who who got devil horn implants) but not a bad show.

Apparently when I was at Boston University me and my roommates knew the lead girl (Zooey Deschanel's sister) and her friends but when I saw her on TV she didn't ring a bell. And my memory is usually very good.

I just saw the shittiest show of all time. I was scrolling through the recently added on Netflix to find something to watch and I saw this one show that I was apparently going to give 2 stars to. It was an animated kids show called Trotro. The screenshot looked like a cave painting. I couldn't believe that a human being with hands crafted something of such incompetence, but there it was.

Thankfully, it got even worse. The show was clearly not originally in English because the dialogue was so sloppily written and, for the life of me, I can't find English episode rips on YouTube, only French, Chinese and German. Anyway, the Netflix version is in English and the characters all have raspy British accents. The protagonist is a donkey with spikes on the back of his neck. He goes on really shitty adventures that involve, at most, one plot point, but usually less. In one episode, he reads a really shitty story to his stuffed bear. In another, he walks up a hill and then goes back down the hill. In every episode, Trotro is a dick to everyone.

If you have Netflix, please look this show up. Your eyes will bleed for a few minutes but your tears of laughter will wipe that away.

Honestly I think Endtroducing..... might be in my top 20 or so albums of all time. Jesus christ it's good.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE BREAK DOWN BABY

You know, Drake's last album was boring as fuck, but hearing the title track on the radio the other night reminded me of how terrific that one song is. Gorgeous mercurial guitar, a thick beat with lots of toms and a sweet Rihanna vocal make for a keeper. Drake's part is boring like always but he doesn't destroy the song like he typically would.

The beat in his latest track is pretty cool. His vocals suck. And his lyrics do too. But the beat's good.

His Fuckin' Problems verse is the only time I haven't hated him. He ruined What's Your Name with a boring as shit verse.

He ruined What's My Name with a boring as shit verse.

Hell yeah he did. That's a great track, one of my favorites from Rihanna, but I'd rather have heard the chorus two more times than listen to Drake drone on about going to Starbucks and crying like he always does.

Man that Drake/Common beef was one of the funniest things ever. Somehow Common wound up being slightly more badass. Which is like a 0/10 on the badass scale to Drake's -1/10.

Missed that Youth Lagoon had a new record out this week. Just ordered it and am super excited!

There have been several albums in the indie world over the last few years that have been touted as jazz-influenced, but Rhye's Woman is the only one where I have really heard and felt that influence. Very impressed upon first listen.

George Harrison obviously had a tremendous gift for melody and guitar work, but damn was he an awful lyricist at times. Taxman is about as banal as it comes.

The Stone Roses were epic on Wednesday. It was weird seeing a bunch of 50 year olds stroll on stage when their debut is so utterly locked in its time, but any concerns were gone by the end of I Wanna Be Adored. Great set from start to end, with John Squire somehow keeping his guitar work on just the right side of Spinal Tap levels of parody. The trippy rhythm section definitely anchors him and Ian Brown knows how to command the stage. She Bangs the Drums did totally get turned up to 11 though.

I'm extremely jealous.

I'm seeing Stone Roses at Future tomorrow. I have their debut but still haven't listened to it.

You
son
of
a
bitch
bastard

Honestly I think Endtroducing..... might be in my top 20 or so albums of all time. Jesus christ it's good.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE BREAK DOWN BABY

:up:

George Harrison obviously had a tremendous gift for melody and guitar work, but damn was he an awful lyricist at times. Taxman is about as banal as it comes.

Taxman is one of my favourite Beatles tunes. At the very least, it's got original lyrics. Can you name me another song written from the taxman's perspective?

That last bit was meant to be a little bit tongue in cheek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom