Ordinary Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Exactly, the article is a JOKE and badly written. It's annoying to think that this incorrect impression is given. I feel that many fans like the song, just because the writer of the article doesn't like it, they shouldn't be speaking for all of us :huh:

Well, I do think this author is correctly relaying the dominant tone of interference regarding this song. Many people like it, but all of our biggest talkers have been real negative nancies.

Well, I do think this author is correctly relaying the dominant tone of interference regarding this song. Many people like it, but all of our biggest talkers have been real negative nancies.

That's the mistake, equating "biggest talking negative nancies" with U2 fans.

I love the song and most everyone I've spoken to does as well.
This is the internet and the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Gibson Explorer :p

I actually think it is, tone and body sound a bit like 'New York' at times.

I can definitely hear what is probably the Explorer in there. Also, the hollow-body Gretsch that he uses for Magnificent seems likely. I also think some of the stuff could be played on a Telecaster, and maybe even his Les Paul. It would not surprise me, since there really isn't one main guitar riff, if every separate melody was played with a different guitar.

It will be interesting to see when the album comes out how the band - and The Edge, in particular - talk about Danger Mouse's methods.

I did not dislike OL so much as it lives up to the first word in its name - Ordinary. This song is about as generic as you can get for a contemporary U2 sound. If this is representative of what U2 are planning for their next album, then they might as well scrap it and release these songs as a b-side somewhere down the line.

I think I'm with most U2 fans when I say I'd like to hear something new and different on the next album. OL clearly is NOT that.

The best thing I can say about it, is I like Adam Clayton's look at the Mandela gala - he looked like he was pushing 70 on the last tour.. he looked much younger at that event.

Here are the details for the vinyl release

https://twitter.com/U2uruguay/status/405318585242771458/photo/1/large

I've ordered the movie soundtrack today. I wonder if the soundtrack version will be different from the single version. I hope they won't have the fade out in the end.

Interesting to see that so much work from so many collaborators (many of them people who have worked with DM) has gone into the making of the song and yet it sounds so simple - that's probably what good mixing is all about.

Also interesting that they have given Danger Mouse a writing credit, like they did with Eno and Lanois in NLOTH.

PS: An Adam's second ever vocal credit on Breathe!

I've listened to this song a number of times now, and I have to say that the article on the front page of this very website sums up my thoughts completely. Ordinary Love Gets No Extraordinary Response From Fans - U2 Interference

That's a terrible article. And I'm not even crazy about this new song. I think it's average.

Rather odd, one person writing on behalf of "fans."

Yeah. lol.

I think that was the first visit I've made to the front page since last decade.

:lol: I just found out that there is a front page to this website.

I did not dislike This song is about as generic as you can get for a contemporary U2 sound.
While still not sounding much like anything they've released the last 30 odd years.
But I guess U2 always sound generic, unless they re-invent the world of music.

I can definitely hear what is probably the Explorer in there. Also, the hollow-body Gretsch that he uses for Magnificent seems likely. I also think some of the stuff could be played on a Telecaster, and maybe even his Les Paul. It would not surprise me, since there really isn't one main guitar riff, if every separate melody was played with a different guitar.

It will be interesting to see when the album comes out how the band - and The Edge, in particular - talk about Danger Mouse's methods.

Guitar tone wise it reminds me most of Magnificent, so that would imply the Gretsch indeed.

That's funny, since I feel his guitar work is as uninspired on this track as it is on Magnificent. The dull slide guitar interludes really should go.

I think his guitar playing is appropriate for the song. Big blasts of guitar wouldn't really fit.

It's not a guitar song.

That's funny, since I feel his guitar work is as uninspired on this track as it is on Magnificent. The dull slide guitar interludes really should go.

Guitar tone has nothing to do with what he's playing... it's the sound the guitar makes. IE what guitar is being played on what song. So I'm not saying anything on the value of Edge's guitarplaying, I'm merely mentioning it sounds similar to the guitar used on Magnificent, hence there's a likelihood that the same Gretsch was being used on the recording on this track.

"Ordinary Love" is really the U2 sound of the past 5 years on auto-pilot. This exact slide guitar sound can be heard on "Magnificent", "Stranded", even all the way back to "Electrical Storm" and now on this.

I'm pretty sure the new album is NOT going to sound anything like this. The song fits the mood and type of the film. They played it safe, simple and it is really an Ordinary song.

Seeing the "Get Lucky" cover and all the "dancy" songs they played recently seems to be a clue to the kind of sound and feel of their upcoming album : Funk / Soul / Electronica anyone ? :hmm:

Possible contribution by Niles Rodgers on the new album ? U2 have been hanging out a lot with him this year...

The whole Chris Martin collab rumour on the new album was probably in fact just a "rehearsal" for their recent RED fund raising show...

So, anyone pre-order this from Bullmoose? I just got an email from them saying they probably won't be able to fill internet pre-orders because the demand for this record is greater than expected.

That was my backup plan. I guess I'll be showing up extra early for Record Store Day to make sure I get a copy.

So, anyone pre-order this from Bullmoose? I just got an email from them saying they probably won't be able to fill internet pre-orders because the demand for this record is greater than expected. That was my backup plan. I guess I'll be showing up extra early for Record Store Day to make sure I get a copy.

^ I got the same email. Really appreciate them sending out that FYI.

That's odd. We've been told that nobody likes the song, knows that is exists, or wants anything to do with it. Cause it's so awful and Coldplay-like.

Wouldn't expect demand to be so great for such a thing.

That's odd. We've been told that nobody likes the song, knows that is exists, or wants anything to do with it. Cause it's so awful and Coldplay-like.

Wouldn't expect demand to be so great for such a thing.

Nice try, but the single probably has a low print run and there's at least a million crazed U2 fans in this country. You do the math. Doesn't matter if it was Bono farting into a microphone, there would still be more demand than stock.

Nice try, but the single probably has a low print run and there's at least a million crazed U2 fans in this country. You do the math. Doesn't matter if it was Bono farting into a microphone, there would still be more demand than stock.

Or maybe your just wrong? Or is that totally impossible that something you don't like can be pretty popular?

I think this blind sheep thingy runs both ways.

Or maybe your just wrong? Or is that totally impossible that something you don't like can be pretty popular?

It's the first new U2 release in eons and it's part of a vinyl run that's probably no more than 25,000 copies (and I wouldn't be surprised if it's as low as 10,000). Of course there's going to be a ton of demand for it.

By the same logic, every new U2 track gets overanalyzed on here because this band has such a low output. With other artists and their one-offs, fans can talk about it and then move on since there's always another album around the corner about every 18 months or so. With U2, years will go by and all you'll receive is something like this.

Also, got to love the ridiculous arrogance of Paul McGuinness saying U2 will win an Oscar for this tripe. They will not even be nominated. Nobody involved in the nominations is going to hear this and go "WOW!"

It's the first new U2 release in eons and it's part of a vinyl run that's probably no more than 25,000 copies (and I wouldn't be surprised if it's as low as 10,000). Of course there's going to be a ton of demand for it. By the same logic, every new U2 track gets overanalyzed on here because this band has such a low output. With other artists and their one-offs, fans can talk about it and then move on since there's always another album around the corner about every 18 months or so. With U2, years will go by and all you'll receive is something like this. Also, got to love the ridiculous arrogance of Paul McGuinness saying U2 will win an Oscar for this tripe. They will not even be nominated. Nobody involved in the nominations is going to hear this and go "WOW!"

Genuinely give up, so what about the people who don't think it is "tripe"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom