Ordinary Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BigMac has an 'in' to the Academy. He already knows they all hate it. obviously.

f88875c252729de6877a3cb823872f74.jpg

How can they keep saying that they're looking for "new sounds, new colors" when they use a piano and the same guitar effect that Edge's has been using since 2001?? Nice song, but it is just another contemporary adult song...:angry:

How can they keep saying that they're looking for "new sounds, new colors" when they use a piano and the same guitar effect that Edge's has been using since 2001?? Nice song, but it is just another contemporary adult song...:angry:

You're right. U2 should create new instruments!

I wouldn't mind them bringing back some instruments they've used in the past - harmonica, a brass section, the "electric violin" sound they had on Drowning Man etc. I don't think anyone is seriously expecting them to go proggy with the instrumentation, but they can broaden their horizons beyond chimey guitar/synths/piano. I *think* that's what Acrobat Al was getting at.

I think people who are hoping that Edge will one day put away his delay pedals are going to be perpetually disappointed.

Hey people, stop you grinnin and drop you linnin, the song is AWESOME, it´s well produced pop song, no need for blasting guitar solos, it has great chorus and great singing by Bono, the music fits perfectly for the purposes of the song. It is their trademark and what made them special, not to exhibit, but to serve the song, I enjoy it very much, it still sounds like U2, but pushed somewhere else, what more can you ask for, I´m happy!!!

i love it too :D

the whiners are cracking me up, it's like santa giving them a lovely gift and them bursting into tears and throwing their toys out of the pram because they don't like it - spoilt brats, boo hoo :D

On a positive side,we can look at Ordinary love like it's four men chopping down Achtung baby.

**IRONY**

After a few listens, this song is leaving me with a positive outlook for the album, even though I don't find the song itself all that great. There's definitely potential here. The lyrics are too predictable and blatantly political/inspirational for me, though.

Somehow I find the second part of the second version (Your heart is on my sleeve...) reminding something from Unforgettable fire in a great way and the refrain sounds gospelly like little bit from JT era, again in great way, just impressions... Fantastic song!!!

What I can't figure is the strong negative reaction from some. Indifference I could see. I guess I just ignore songs I don't much care for.

What I can't figure is the strong negative reaction from some. Indifference I could see. I guess I just ignore songs I don't much care for.

That's the 5yr thing. When WITS was released I think most people just mumbled to themselves "Well, that's awful" and quietly shuffled on.

You mean "I've waited nearly five years for this? Is this a fucking joke?" :wink: I don't think it's so much to do with the quality of the track, more with the prolonged time interval. Had we gotten an album in 2011, I don't believe there would be anywhere near the disdain that we're seeing. It's a 5/10 song imo, but after nearly half a decade of no official releases it's akin to stumbling towards an apparent oasis in the desert, only to find it's muddy and full of camel shit.

The way I see things, the soundtrack was not a place for U2 to try out a new sound. They needed to write a U2ey track for Nelson Mandela. We still have 12 potential new sound experiments to look forward to on the upcoming album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom