I listened to No Line on the Horizon right through tonight for the first time in about 10 years…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly. Extremely catchy tune that isn't crippled by terrible production choices. I wouldn't want a whole album that sounds like it but on a pretty schizophrenic record it works for me. Would have been a better single than Get Out, that's for sure.
The Showman as a single with a video poking fun at themselves over the iTunes release and various other U2 mishaps would have been a homerun.

Other than in emerging markets, of course - who wouldn't get the joke.

A debacle that brought them a new generation of fans outside of America. I don't think that they would have been able to do the Joshua Tree tour or the Achtung Baby residency without the apple download that every musician, app developer and video games developer does every week now. Before then Alicia Keys, Norah Jones and Ottawan did the same thing but they never got this Flack from only the American fan base.

I remember Jeremy Vine covering it on his final segment on his radio show. The final segment is usually when he covers a jokey segment about goats or coffee houses, etc. All of the callers liked SOI, had switched off automatic downloads like most sensible people do or didn’t understand all the fuss when when there was much more important things in the world. You do realise that these whinging from people who are wealthy enough to afford an expensive phone but too lazy to switch off automatic downloads is partly why Trump got in? First world problems.

You go onto YouTube and see the the videos for SOI songs and all the people mostly positive messages saying that they used to listen to it when they were at school. They thanked Apple for this free gift. They deliberately left on automatic downloads so that they can receive all sorts of music, apps and video games
you've repeated this line about automatic downloads in a couple of threads now - have gotten push back on it, yet keep on keeping on.

it's simply not true - and it's falseness is easily verifiable by whichever search method you'd prefer to use

video games

have any video games been released with automatic download​

gemini_sparkle_v002_d4735304ff6292a690345.svg

No, video games aren't typically released with automatic downloads. There are a few reasons for this:
  • User Control: People generally prefer to have control over what gets downloaded onto their devices, especially when it comes to large files like games.
  • Pre-Order Option: Many gamers pre-order games to ensure they can play them as soon as they are released. An automatic download would bypass this option.
  • Technical Challenges: Automatically downloading a game requires users to have their consoles or computers turned on and connected to the internet at the exact release time. This can be unreliable and frustrating for users.
However, there are features on consoles and PC gaming platforms that allow for automatic updates and pre-loading of games:
  • Automatic Updates: Consoles like PlayStation and Xbox allow you to set them to automatically download updates for games you already own. This ensures you have the latest version before you start playing.
  • Pre-Loading: Some digital storefronts, like the PlayStation Store, allow you to pre-load a game before its release date. This means the game files are downloaded to your console, but you can't play it until the official release time.

artists releasing in the same was as SOI being commonplace

have any artists tried to repeat the release method U2 used on Songs of Innocence?​

While there haven't been any major artists directly copying U2's "Songs of Innocence" release strategy, there are reasons why it wouldn't be a common tactic:
  • Backlash: The automatic download caused significant user frustration and privacy concerns. Other artists likely wouldn't want to risk similar backlash.
  • Shifting Music Landscape: Streaming services have become the dominant way people listen to music. Free album giveaways might not be as effective a promotional tool now.
However, there are some echoes of U2's approach:
  • Surprise Releases: Some artists do surprise fans with unexpected album drops, like Beyonce's self-titled album in 2013.
  • Exclusive Content: Artists might offer exclusive content or early access to albums on specific platforms to create a buzz and drive subscriptions.
Overall, the music industry has adapted to the digital age. While free giveaways might still happen, they'd likely be more targeted and opt-in, avoiding the automatic download issues of "Songs of Innocence."

the iTunes release only being a "big deal" in america

what was the reaction to U2's Songs of Innocence release in Europe?​

The reaction to U2's Songs of Innocence release in Europe mirrored the overall global response, which was mixed. Here's a breakdown:
  • Initial Surprise: There was an element of surprise in Europe, as with other regions, due to the automatic download on iTunes.
  • Privacy Concerns: European users, just like those elsewhere, expressed concerns about the automatic download and potential privacy issues with unsolicited content on their devices.
  • Mixed Reviews on Music: Reviews of the album itself were divided, not just in Europe but globally. Some fans enjoyed the return to U2's classic sound, while others felt it didn't live up to their past works.
  • Criticism of Release Method: The way the album was released, particularly the automatic download, was widely criticized in Europe, similar to other parts of the world.
It's important to note that Europe is a large and diverse continent, so there may have been slight variations in reception depending on the specific country. However, the overall reaction in Europe aligned with the global response – a mix of surprise, frustration with the release method, and divided opinions on the music itself.

the SOI release is why they became popular in Asia and why they ultimately played there on JT30ish and the whole point of the SOI Apple release was to reach emerging markets in Asia

(note - this was especially fun because i didn't even ask about U2 in the question, only about iTunes)

how prevalent was the use of iTunes in Asia in 2014

The prevalence of iTunes in Asia in 2014 varied depending on the specific country:

• Developed Markets:In developed Asian economies like Japan and South Korea, iTunes had a stronger foothold. Here's why:
    • Higher Internet Penetration: These countries had more developed internet infrastructure compared to others in Asia, making iTunes downloads more feasible.
    • Apple Product Adoption: Apple products like iPhones and iPods were more popular in these regions, driving iTunes usage.
  • Developing Markets:In developing countries like India and China, iTunes faced stiffer competition:
    • Rise of Local Streaming: Local streaming services like QQ Music (China) and Saavn (India) were gaining traction and offered content more catered to local tastes.
    • Price Sensitivity: Subscription-based streaming might have been seen as a better value compared to individual song purchases on iTunes.
Here's a breakdown by factors:

• Internet Access: Broadband penetration was uneven across Asia in 2014. Developed economies generally had better internet infrastructure, favoring iTunes downloads.
  • Music Piracy: Music piracy was still a significant issue in some Asian countries. This could have limited the appeal of paid services like iTunes.
  • Device Adoption: The popularity of Apple devices like iPhones and iPods influenced iTunes usage. Developed economies and urban areas in developing countries might have seen more iTunes users due to higher Apple product adoption.
Overall:

• iTunes had a presence in Asia in 2014, particularly in developed markets.
  • Local streaming services and music piracy posed challenges to iTunes's dominance.
  • The automatic download of U2's Songs of Innocence might have had a muted impact in many Asian countries due to lower iTunes penetration compared to Western markets.

even the general idea that U2 didn't put a primary focus on the US market with the iTunes release is, well, wrong

While there isn't a single definitive source, here's an educated guess on the percentage of European cell phone owners with iPhones or Androids in 2014:

Android Dominance:

• Market research suggests Android held a dominant market share in the European smartphone market throughout the 2010s.
  • Reports like this one from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech show Android's share in major European countries like France, Germany, and the UK around 68.4% in Q1 2015.
Considering iPhone Market Share:

• Apple also had a strong presence, especially in Western Europe. Statistics suggest iPhone market share grew in 2015, likely due to the iPhone 6 launch.
Estimating the Percentages:

• Given Android's dominance and iPhone's growth trajectory, a reasonable estimate for 2014 could be:
    • Android: Around 70-75% of European cell phone owners with smartphones likely had Android devices.
    • iPhone: The remaining 25-30% might have owned iPhones.
Here are some resources for further exploration:

• Look for reports by Gartner, IDC, or Kantar Worldpanel ComTech on smartphone market share in Europe during 2014.
  • Search for news articles discussing smartphone trends in Europe around 2014. Mentions of Android's dominance and iPhone's growth can provide context.
It's important to remember that these are estimates, and the exact percentages might vary depending on the specific country and data source.

Data suggests Apple held a strong lead in the US smartphone market in 2014, compared to Android. Here's a breakdown of what we can glean:

iPhone's Strong Position:

Data Availability:

• Precise figures for 2014 might vary slightly depending on the data source, but the overall trend suggests a significant iPhone lead.
Estimated Percentages:

• Based on available information, a reasonable estimate for 2014 could be:
    • iPhone: Around 55-60% of US cell phone owners with smartphones likely had iPhones.
    • Android: The remaining 40-45% might have owned Android phones.
Further Research Resources:

• Look for reports by market research firms like Gartner, IDC, or StatCounter on smartphone market share in the US during 2014.
  • News articles discussing smartphone trends in the US around 2014 can offer additional insights into iPhone's dominance and Android's presence.
While these are estimates, they provide a good idea of the market landscape in 2014. The US market favored iPhones compared to the global trend where Android held a wider share.

and the part about people being too lazy to switch off automatic downloads being why trump was elected... i mean... automatic download on iTunes was meant only for things that the consumer purchased or intentionally sought out. other free albums - including U2's very own free release of Invisible - required the user to click a button to have it added to their library. it's not crazy that a certain portion of the public would want things that they want to be automatically downloaded to their library. that is not the issue.

what made Songs of Innocence different - and what made it controversial - was that it was placed in everyone's library as if it was purchased - so the download was automatic, and there was no opt out. THAT is what pissed people off.

was some of the drama overblown? sure, of course it was. but i'd be annoyed if, i dunno, a Phish album showed up on my phone and just started playing every time i got in the car, and i couldn't get rid of it without the use of a special tool specifically created because of the backlash.

so hey - please, stick around. it's fun to have some differing opinions around here and healthy debate over the impact of certain things. we want more of that.

but when multiple people are saying you're wrong about something? try and verify before doubling down. we're all wrong from time to time. it's ok.

opinions are opinions and facts are facts. the truth still matters here.

Last edited:
No Line on the Horizon was U2 trying to take risks. That was a really good instinct they hadn’t given themselves to since 1997.

But then they found themselves pulling back from trying to take risks. That was bad.

Maybe if they’d stopped worrying about hits and focused on making a beautiful record they could have pushed through something wonderful.

As it is - it feels somewhat still born with a smattering of hit seeking (crazy, boots, SUC) that both clearly fails and feels totally foreign to the majority of the songs.

Last edited:
No Line on the Horizon was U2 trying to take risks. That was a really good instinct they hadn’t given themselves to since 1997.

But then they found themselves pulling back from trying to take risks. That was bad.

Maybe if they’d stopped worrying about hits and focused on making a beautiful record they could have pushed through something wonderful.

As it is - it feels somewhat still born with a smattering of hit seeking (crazy, boots, SUC) that both clearly fails and feels totally foreign to the majority of the songs.
I think that's the hardest part of all of this. If the middle 3 of NLOTH had been really good songs and 1-2 of them were successful singles, I think we would have put up with it. But the songs are bad....really bad...

I think that's the hardest part of all of this. If the middle 3 of NLOTH had been really good songs and 1-2 of them were successful singles, I think we would have put up with it. But the songs are bad....really bad...
Yup!

Imagine all the energy put into those 3 songs being redeployed into No Line, Breathe, Magnificent, Unkown Caller, Fez.

And then dump those 3 hit attempts and add a fleshed out Winter.

I would have loved a shorter LP with a greater focus on the risk taking and freer album that was trying to push through the dirt.

Sad to see Eno and Lanois’ last go around with them end up sounding like so much unfulfilled potential.

I can still enjoy those songs -but they needed time to rest and be purified of the dross - if they were going to have a chance at being great.

But who knows - maybe all the time in the world can’t pull more spellbinding genius out of U2. Boy through ATYCLB is a wonderful 20 year run.

They have now been U2 for more time since ATYCLB than before it!!

Nothing lasts forever.

Last edited:
Including ATYCLB in a "wonderful 20 year run" but not HTDAAB in a "wonderful 25 year run" is ridiculous to me. It won the fucking Grammy and had several successful singles.

Either write off the whole "back to basics" period or don't include any of it.

And I'll take No Line over ATYCLB any day of the week. Not as consistent, but at least they weren't running away from their strengths and were trying to do something interesting, and you didn't have to wait for the live versions to hear the songs fulfill their potential.

Including ATYCLB in a "wonderful 20 year run" but not HTDAAB in a "wonderful 25 year run" is ridiculous to me. It won the fucking Grammy and had several successful singles.

And I'll take No Line over ATYCLB any day of the week. Not as consistent, but at least they weren't running away from their strengths and were trying to do something interesting, and you didn't have to wait for the live versions to hear the songs fulfill their potential.

Yeah maybe you’re right. I enjoyed HTTAB.

But I think for me - and it’s all personal taste right? - Beautiful Day was the last time I found U2 “stunning”.

I really got into U2 in ‘84 when I heard“Pride”. Could not believe my ears. Literally.

They did that to me again at some point on every record through ATYCLB with “Beautiful Day”.

But not since.

So that was in my brain when I wrote about the 20 year run.

And I tend to agree with Bono that the the whole of HTTAAB is not greater than the sum of its parts.

But it’s still a solid album.

Last edited:
… and you didn't have to wait for the live versions to hear the songs fulfill their potential.

This is a really interesting insight. Never thought of this, but it rings true to me about No Line - the songs feel extended and even maybe overstuffed with ideas in a way the ATYCLB songs don’t.

And if I had to choose - but for Beautiful Day and New York and WYLATW - I’d rather listen to No Line as an album.

I feel like this has been discussed over and over again (like most topics here), but the “more time writing, less time recording” is indeed the band running away from their strength, which is the studio alchemy that occurs when they keep trying different things and improvise.

So ATYCLB has some nicely-crafted songs, but they just don’t breathe or have any surprises.

One thing i miss with the old way U2 would record is that the live versions would have to take on a different take than studio. They’d have to as the studio versions usually weren’t complete.

Once U2 decided they wanted to write the songs as if they were live in the studio that mystery disappeared

Kite (once they got to down under) and even New York expanded live

I’m trying to think of a song from SOI/SOE that had any wrinkles from the studio version….???

Ultimately, the end result is what matters. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are widely known as critical successes. Although, my preferences are their 90's material, there's no doubt that they hit it out of the park with those two albums. The songs are there. They are catchy, and people still know them. The albums after that did not achieve that. That's why, no matter what my preferences are (I love SOI for example), I will always say that their run of greatness ended after HTDAAB.

I'd say the song that has grown on me the most from ATYCLB is Wild Honey. I used to kind of shit on that one a lot, but it is a fun, enjoyable song that almost reminds me of something Tom Petty would have released. I have also really fallen in love with Tom Petty's catalog over the last 5 years so that probably helped push my love for this song.

All this love for ATYCLB and no mention of Kite?!
My two cents. I don't have a lot of love for All That. But Kite is in my top 15 U2 songs of all time

I'd say the song that has grown on me the most from ATYCLB is Wild Honey. I used to kind of shit on that one a lot, but it is a fun, enjoyable song that almost reminds me of something Tom Petty would have released. I have also really fallen in love with Tom Petty's catalog over the last 5 years so that probably helped push my love for this song.
Wild Honey is the type of effortless pop song they mostly struggle to create now b/c they overthink everything. The lyrics sound like a first or second pass and are better for it b/c Bono would overload them with syllables and pointless wordplay now. The Showman is probably the closest they’ve got since. They should’ve released 40 Ft Man already but will probably beat the spark out of that one, too.

One thing i miss with the old way U2 would record is that the live versions would have to take on a different take than studio. They’d have to as the studio versions usually weren’t complete.

Once U2 decided they wanted to write the songs as if they were live in the studio that mystery disappeared

Kite (once they got to down under) and even New York expanded live

I’m trying to think of a song from SOI/SOE that had any wrinkles from the studio version….???
Raised By Wolves clearly took off live. I was lukewarm to it on the album.

Cedarwood Road was a bit dirtier live than on the album which I liked, but it's not drastic.

Obviously they completely changed the lead single on SOE with bossa nova Best Thing, and the live Lights of Home took on the St. Peter's mix vs the album cut. Alas

Cate Blanchett, this song is for you.....

so Bono cringe, but that version is a Top 5 21st century U2 moment. it may not be the best song on ATYCLB (although it might be) but it is the most important song to that record, it's the central idea being put forward: through life, comes death; through death, comes life. there's a shadow behind all of our eyes.

so Bono cringe, but that version is a Top 5 21st century U2 moment. it may not be the best song on ATYCLB (although it might be) but it is the most important song to that record, it's the central idea being put forward: through life, comes death; through death, comes life. there's a shadow behind all of our eyes.
Of all of the things that they cut and mix from live songs to make them perfect before they release them, it's absolutely infuriating that they leave shit like this in.

I wonder if there's another version of Australian Kite out there that doesn't have the name drop. @sharebear any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom