Will Larry Return to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CedarwoodAWT

Babyface
I’m new here, but been a serious fan since 1984.

Sorry if this subject is overcooked already.

I did a search for threads on Larry about this and didn’t see one, but I’m sure it’s possible I missed it.

Anyway - do you all think Larry will come back and play with U2 on their next album - or do you think he is done with the band?

Last edited:
I had the misfortune of getting an update from some random u2 group on FB where they were discussing "news" that Bram wasn't returning to his band which was because he was going to be joining U2. Of course there was no substance to this and given Larry recorded Atomic City, was at the last show and has not said anything at all about quitting, I think we can file the rumours under BS.

He wants to be able to drum. I think he wants to be able to drum in his band. I don’t know if he wants to tour into his 70s. I believe Bram and the Sphere might’ve opened up some ideas for their future. I hope the original lineup is around making music together for a good while longer.

He wants to be able to drum. I think he wants to be able to drum in his band. I don’t know if he wants to tour into his 70s. I believe Bram and the Sphere might’ve opened up some ideas for their future. I hope the original lineup is around making music together for a good while longer.
I feel there's some truth to the idea that Larry does the studio work and Bram does the live work.

Yeah, sorry, I know we've done this subject to death in various threads so didn't really want to go over old ground.

I guess we should know the answer soon enough - studio Larry and live Bram might be the best fit for everyone though.

Yeah, sorry, I know we've done this subject to death in various threads so didn't really want to go over old ground.

I guess we should know the answer soon enough - studio Larry and live Bram might be the best fit for everyone though.
Subjects discussed to death are an interference tradition. As is Laz complaining about it

Unless it's LAKERS.

I think if Larry could only do studio recordings he just wouldn't want to be half in. Sadly they're nearing the end of their career as a band (makes me so melancholy to even type that) so maybe for that reason he would agree to that.

If they're like the Rolling Stones and still touring in their 80's I don't see Larry doing that. Unless he's the designated guy who wheels Bono out onto the stage on a dolly 😁

Maybe they could AI generate Larry for tours. Hologram Larry

Of course doing Sphere was for a big part about U2 being the first to do so.
But it's hard not to view the Sphere run as the 4 of them getting some sort of feel if U2 would still work as a live band without Larry.
Considering the rapport and chemistry they have created with Bram, not to mention the sheer amount of mutual fun that was clearly visible at the Sphere shows, I think they have this in their minds as a long-term plan B.

Considering the rapport and chemistry they have created with Bram, not to mention the sheer amount of mutual fun that was clearly visible at the Sphere shows, I think they have this in their minds as a long-term plan B.
That's the thing, to play those shows with Bram must have been a massive thing for them to even consider. Presuming they all got on personally (which I think is a fair assumption as for the most part they seemed to be having a blast and were very relaxed) and clearly professionally it worked as they sounded great, maybe it is now an option if Larry doesn't want to tour or can't play live the way he used to be able to.

Based on nothing but gut feelings, I think Larry is ready to move on from the U2 phase of his life.

I believe that Larry has recorded with the band. I even could see him going on tour for one final hurrah (health willing), but I don't expect more than that.

I would say that would also be the end of U2 as a whole, but I think the rest are so bought into the U2 mythos at this point that they will keep going as long as Bono can still sing.

Back
Top Bottom