New Video on U2.com Pt.2 (new 01/11/2009)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although sometimes i wonder why they sounded much more mature on Running to Stand Still than Elevation for example...
And with this new album all i expect is some good songs, beautiful crafted hamornies and two or three words about the problems the wolrd has today, but from a man's point of view.

The running to stand still remark is :up:
I wish for the same trust me. An insightfull recrod with beautiful melodies, great vocals and cool guitarstuff about love, anxiety, lust, Global issues.

You only set the bar high for people who you know are capable of jumping high. or soething :huh:

No! Its quite the oposite! If you read carefully what i just wrote, i said exactly what you mean. In my own expierence i had to learn to expect diferent things from U2 because of ther growth and mine! I think there is no more perfect example than ATYCLB. Apart from expecting good songs, i was sure that they would not deliver another JT or UABRS. They were at their 40's and it would be weird if they showed the same young rebel atitude. Although sometimes i wonder why they sounded much more mature on Running to Stand Still than Elevation for example...
And with this new album all i expect is some good songs, beautiful crafted hamornies and two or three words about the problems the wolrd has today, but from a man's point of view.

I still think you are projecting way too much of your own expectations and judgements about their lifestyle and the resulting quality (or lack there of) of the work, which is what I was specifically addressing.

We are saying similar things in these last couple of posts...but they are actually quite different if you take into consideration the context of both of our prior posts over the last few weeks. I've read many of your previous posts claiming that they (U2) can't reproduce a new album in the same successful mode of prior albums (which you obviously hold in high regards) because of the point they are at in their careers, their lifestyle, complacency after achieving a certain amount of success, etc.(or so you claim)

You've consistently built your argument based around those "observations" and "inferences" (not necessarily facts) that they have reached their perverbial musical peak. You have conveniently refered to your own selective "observations" and "inferences" to build your "opinions" around. Others on the board have more than stated their own valid cases based on other things they have noticed and referenced, which opposed your views...to which you kind of berated and wrote off simply because they don't match your own "opinions"...and vice versa I might add.

MY POINT? That IN MY OPINION they are still making great music that is very relevant now and in many cases better crafted, written, and much better performed than in years past; due impart to them finally honing their craft and using their knowledge and experience to create music that could only be made at this point of their careers as a result. But does my comment make me someone that "blindly loves everything U2"? Of course not, I can name a large number of their songs and an album or two from their expansive catalogue that I despise. I have my favorites, just like anyone else. They just happen to span the band's ENTIRE career...not just selected eras.

Do I want another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? HELL NO....I've already got two of those...I want something different...something great...but different. It seems to me that you may not share that view. You and a variety of people want reprises of the albums you love so dearly. The band doesn't repeat themselves...so I think you might be out of luck.

Artists grow over time, as does their interests, influences, and life. Just like the changing seasons can affect the fruit on the vine so does the what you do with the fruit once its picked.

If you want to fault U2 for achieving success and "flaunting it" then say THAT.

If you want to fault U2 for not being "experimental enough" then say THAT.

If you want to fault U2 for not being "rebellious enough" or "angst ridden enough" or "meloncholy enough" then say THAT.

Or just simply say that U2 are not "good enough"

Just don't try to convince everyone that all of those things are necessarily linked together and are FACT...because in the end they are your OPINION.

I think thats what people are trying to get across to you.

MY POINT? That IN MY OPINION they are still making great music that is very relevant now and in many cases better crafted, written, and much better performed than in years past; due impart to them finally honing their craft and using their knowledge and experience to create music that could only be made at this point of their careers as a result. But does my comment make me someone that "blindly loves everything U2"? Of course not, I can name a large number of their songs and an album or two from their expansive catalogue that I despise. I have my favorites, just like anyone else. They just happen to span the band's ENTIRE career...not just selected eras.

:up: from all the albums, b-sides, non-album songs there are just 4 songs that I don't like (I did use the word 'hate' years ago, but nevermind that), 1 is from JT (ISHFWILF) and the other 3 from ATYCLB (SIAM, IALW and WH), but they're far from being 'crap' IMO, they're just worse than the rest.

If you want to fault U2 for not being "rebellious enough" or "angst ridden enough" or "meloncholy enough" then say THAT.

Just don't try to convince everyone that all of those things are necessarily linked together and are FACT...because in the end they are your OPINION.

:up: :applaud:

where do you all get the time to write such HUGE posts about nothing? :eek:

there are just 4 songs that I don't like (I did use the word 'hate' years ago, but nevermind that), 1 is from JT (ISHFWILF) and the other 3 from ATYCLB (SIAM, IALW and WH)

WHAT?????? You mean you don't like Stuck... or In a Little While?? Are you CRAZY?? Dont you know it's a FACT that they are two of their best songs because I think they are great and almost everyone else would agree with me so you must be WRONG!!!

:wink:

Sorry, don't know what or who posessed me there... hehe

WHAT?????? You mean you don't like Stuck... or In a Little While?? Are you CRAZY?? Dont you know it's a FACT that they are two of their best songs because I think they are great and almost everyone else would agree with me so you must be WRONG!!!

Sorry, don't know what or who posessed me there... hehe

:lol: :up:

Wait just a minute here. Bathiu, you are actually trying to tell us that you like grace (GRACE!), elevation and wild honey better than in a little while.

IWWYAD!! or in english: I want what you are drinking!!

:wave:

Wait just a minute here. Bathiu, you are actually trying to tell us that you like grace (GRACE!), elevation and wild honey better than in a little while.

WOW!! 23x

yeah, the way I look at the song is... try to imagine it without any vocals (wich are not that bad BTW, IMO) and you have an amazing instrumental, worthy of Passengers, pure Brian Eno

(and Wild Honey is in those 3 that I don't like :wink: )

Yeah, Grace is like a high quality outtake from Eno & Lanois's Apollo Soundtracks which I love to bits... Bono warbling about twirls and skips is just an added bonus...

yeah, the way I look at the song is... try to imagine it without any vocals (wich are not the worst BTW, IMO) and you have an amazing instrumental, worthy of Passengers, pure Brian Eno

(and Wild Honey is in those 3 that I don't like :wink: )

ah I see, my bad, sorry.

interesting idea about the grace song. I HATE it so immensely and listening to it now I see your point. Funny!

The thing is, it WAS recorded with vocals :

Brian Eno rules(just in case Rachel D. is reading this)

Yeah, Grace is like a high quality outtake from Eno & Lanois's Apollo Soundtracks which I love to bits... Bono warbling about twirls and skips is just an added bonus...

The best thing about Grace is the Bass line. Everything else should have been left on the cutting room floor IMO.

At most, It should have been an intrumental ala Bass Trap.

Now THIS is discussing something. I agree with you on the need for being creative (even with all the surroundings that make it virtualy impossible sometimes) but I think that you lose an edge(no un intended) when you have everything. Some time ago I said that the best thing in regards to U2's music would be a divorce for Bono and Ali. Do I want them to split up for the sake of better more intense music? hell no, but I really feel that is impossible to have the same drive, passion, longing if you will as when you were 20-30 and wanted to discover and conquer the world. It is not an accusation, like, hey you have a boat, you suck, off course not. it is "normal" for this to happen, the innerneed remains but the circumstances won't allow you to get that extra sprark. I know this sounds a bit harsh but with the death of Bono's father I was expecting a very VERY reflective album fomr U2 and instead we got HTDAAB which didnt feel that personal with the acception of 2 songs maybe. I remember my break up with my first love after 7 years,. I hit a creative vain which I didnt know it was there. I was writing 10 songs a day, I made 32 french(...) dancetracks in one week eventhough I am a ducth guy. I wrote a book in no time I was living on the edge and I felt it. Now I have another life, comletley different. the innerneed remains, the sprark is still there and I still write songs but that extra something is much more difficult to "dig up"again. maybe the yacht remark was actually a simplification of what I just tried to say here.

I felt HTDAAB was a very reflective album on Bono's part...possibly their most personal album next to AB.

I still think you are projecting way too much of your own expectations and judgements about their lifestyle and the resulting quality (or lack there of) of the work, which is what I was specifically addressing.

We are saying similar things in these last couple of posts...but they are actually quite different if you take into consideration the context of both of our prior posts over the last few weeks. I've read many of your previous posts claiming that they (U2) can't reproduce a new album in the same successful mode of prior albums (which you obviously hold in high regards) because of the point they are at in their careers, their lifestyle, complacency after achieving a certain amount of success, etc.(or so you claim)

You've consistently built your argument based around those "observations" and "inferences" (not necessarily facts) that they have reached their perverbial musical peak. You have conveniently refered to your own selective "observations" and "inferences" to build your "opinions" around. Others on the board have more than stated their own valid cases based on other things they have noticed and referenced, which opposed your views...to which you kind of berated and wrote off simply because they don't match your own "opinions"...and vice versa I might add.

Do I want another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? HELL NO....I've already got two of those...I want something different...something great...but different. It seems to me that you may not share that view. You and a variety of people want reprises of the albums you love so dearly. The band doesn't repeat themselves...so I think you might be out of luck.

Artists grow over time, as does their interests, influences, and life. Just like the changing seasons can affect the fruit on the vine so does the what you do with the fruit once its picked.

I think you are too over the top when you say this things about me and the way i think. If you go back to previuous discussions you will notice that at any moment i tried to tell people what to like or not. I just stated that they creative peak was long time ago and that it was a general opinion. So i never said, "you have to like the 80's U2". I don't see such a big mistake or big ofense that this "general opinion" was a fact.

It is a fact that the majority of people prefer the old U2. That is it!

If in fact the old U2 was better then that is matter of a personal taste.

But nobody paid atention on what i really tried to say.

i have to go now. To be continued...

Nobody pays attention to what you say anymore because you come across as a whiny, ungrateful little douche in 99.9% of your posts here.

It's nothing personal though, really. We just don't want to waste our time. You of all people can understand that concept, right?

This is the internet. You have no "right" to be here. This forum is owned by the administrators, who allow you to post your nonsense. So when you inevitably get banned for being antagonistic for the 13,000th time, remember not to plead freedom of speech.

I think you are too over the top when you say this things about me and the way i think. If you go back to previuous discussions you will notice that at any moment i tried to tell people what to like or not. I just stated that they creative peak was long time ago and that it was a general opinion. So i never said, "you have to like the 80's U2". I don't see such a big mistake or big ofense that this "general opinion" was a fact.

It is a fact that the majority of people prefer the old U2. That is it!

If in fact the old U2 was better then that is matter of a personal taste.

i have to go now. To be continued...

How so?

I'm merely using the statements and arguments in your posts as a basis for my judgement of you as a poster. What else should I use....your memoirs????

It is what it is.

Not to be dragged into this whole Interference vs. Boyonthehorizon malestrom, but its pretty hard refute your posts. Unless you're speaking in riddles like Jesus your posts have been pretty rude and aggressive. You have indeed berated others for not agreeing with your opinions and statements that old U2 is better than new U2. Its all there my friend. Go back and reread it.

I think its time for the BOYonthehorizon to become a MAN and own up to it. Maybe then we can call a truce and get to know a potentially pretty good guy who may just a bit too passionate about his beliefs, but can add some great balance to the conversations around here in a civil manner.

Now THIS is discussing something. I agree with you on the need for being creative (even with all the surroundings that make it virtualy impossible sometimes) but I think that you lose an edge(no un intended) when you have everything. Some time ago I said that the best thing in regards to U2's music would be a divorce for Bono and Ali. Do I want them to split up for the sake of better more intense music? hell no, but I really feel that is impossible to have the same drive, passion, longing if you will as when you were 20-30 and wanted to discover and conquer the world.
I also wouldn't be surprised that if Bono and Ali would split up we would never get a decent lyric that goes beyond navel staring self pity out of Bono ever again

I don't buy into this needing adversity to reach artistic hights
to me it's the same as those who claim to make their best work while under the influence
sure, sometimes it leads to better work
and sometimes it doesn't

I don't buy into this needing adversity to reach artistic hights
to me it's the same as those who claim to make their best work while under the influence

I don't think it's the same, even if it doesn't lead to better work, at least it's honest, from the heart, not from something artificial.
just my 2 cents

sorry, the only thing I like about IALW is Bono's changed voice, really great, but the rest is... meh :down:

Hey, be careful, you're talking about one of my favourite U2 songs here. :wink: To me, the song is perfect, Bono's vocals and all. Try to listen to it at 4 o'clock in the morning after having some drinks.

ah I see, my bad, sorry.

interesting idea about the grace song. I HATE it so immensely and listening to it now I see your point. Funny!

The thing is, it WAS recorded with vocals :

The thing with Grace is that it IS a beautiful song, but the vocals are weak. It's a very good closer and ends the album on a higher and more hopeful note.

Can you send me your poll results? How large was the sample that you used? I'd love to get more details on this poll that you did, it sounds very interesting.

Oh no, please don't encourage him. :rolleyes:

The thing with Grace is that it IS a beautiful song, but the vocals are weak. It's a very good closer and ends the album on a higher and more hopeful note.

Hey there now! You should say: I THINK that Grace is a beautiful song. Not everbody blablabla :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom