New Video on U2.com Pt.2 (new 01/11/2009)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish more people would have taken this stance a few weeks ago.

You can put out a fire a million different ways....but one of them is definitely NOT by fanning it.

Here's a suggestion, lets channel our energy into some intelligent thought provoking debates. There are plenty of people on this board that I disagree with...some of whom I've actually befriended. But in the end, when the smoke clears we've been able to express our views somewhat intelligently (though at times very passionately :wink: ) but for the most part in a civil fashion.

Can we get back to that again? :shrug:
okay, I will go out on a limb here. (if that is the correct expression).
A lot of people on these forums talk about intelligent debating and civil communication and accuse mr Brazil of all sorts of things, for some part rightfully so, on'the the other hand he has a point. A lot of poeple here become very rude when someone dares to suggest that all is not 100% in U2 fairytailland. They almost seem personally attacked. Like someone would want to harm their lovechild or something. Keep in mind that these "mean-anti-U2" comments are made by people who love the band, been to a lot of concerts, travelled all over the world to see them and still they have no bussiness according to some people to "bash" everyone's favourite band. This "bashing" consists of "I think this song sucks" or "Bono is not as good as he used to be" and even a little joke, although with some thruth in it like "People who own a yacht arent capable of making an album as good as JT or AB. I see to remember a very vocal person on these forums and an absolute Bono-fanatic (can you blame the girl, no off course NOT) who took it upon her to write the following statement: in your simplistic view of the world maybe. This was a statement regarding the post about the Yacht.
Did anybody say anything about the rudeness, no off course not because it was in U2's defence that these words were spoken. This makes you wonder, or at least it makes me wonder. I have been on this sometimes addicting blue site for a couple of years and never EVER have I felt offended by idiotic remarks, stupidity or other nonsense. To suggest that I have a limited worldview because I actually believe that people who are multimultimultimillionairs and live like kings arent capable of making intens, sincere rock 'n rol like they used too, made me a bit angry and upset. I dont know why: I have a great life, a beautifull soon to be wife, a cool house and two lovely cats. I have written a novel and am about to finish my second and right now I am finishing our first real record. What was there to be upset about? The answer was surprinsingly simple: The fact that I can not bash my favourite band on my favourite forum is what makes me upset, because it is not bashing, it is sometimes being dissapointed because the standard they set is so ridiculously high. That's why I really can not stand the Oh everything Bono does, even his toiletvisists are magic. if you know what I mean.

Just my opinion

:wave:
Have a great day!

^ OK, while I agree with you on some points, I still feel there is a huge difference between "loving everything U2 have done 1000% and always defending the band and thinking they can do no wrong" and totally bashing U2 and saying they are crap. Both isn't realistic and there is so much in between. And I really hate it when people who tend to be very critical of U2 come here and accuse those who do not share their views of living in a fairy tail land. That's not fair and not respectful towards others, and it really isn't the case, because all of us know that U2 are not perfect and have made mistakes. Shock horror.

:wink:

Seriously, we should debate in a more respectful and civilised way without bashing the band and being disprespectful and without attacking other members.

^ OK, while I agree with you on some points, I still feel there is a huge difference between "loving everything U2 have done 1000% and always defending the band and thinking they can do no wrong" and totally bashing U2 and saying they are crap. Both isn't realistic and there is so much in between. And I really hate it when people who tend to be very critical of U2 come here and accuse those who do not share their views of living in a fairy tail land. That's not fair and not respectful towards others, and it really isn't the case, because all of us know that U2 are not perfect and have made mistakes. Shock horror.

Seriously, we should debate in a more respectful and civilised way without bashing the band and being disprespectful and without attacking other members.

Sorry for calling you a pain...

^ And I really hate it when people who tend to be very critical of U2 come here and accuse those who do not share their views of living in a fairy tail land. That's not fair and not respectful towards others, and it really isn't the case, because all of us know that U2 are not perfect and have made mistakes. Shock horror.

I wasn't saying that people who love everything u2 do live in fairytailland. I thought that was a normal expression. Could also have been U2-world or something.

And I still think you owe me an apology in regards to my limited worldview which still annoys the hell out of me.

THERE YOU GO AGAIN!!! Even when you are trying to be nice you manage to show your true colours. I'm not trying to change your opinions but you have a way of expressing said opinions as gospel truths (then jumping down the throat of anyone who DARES to disagree). It doesn't take much to say "I think U2 does a lot of crap." rather than stating it as a fact and telling people to "accept it". Surefire way of raising people's hackles...
so i guess you need people to prefix their own posts with "It's my opinion, but..."

isn't it a given that its their opinion?

so i guess you need people to prefix their own posts with "It's my opinion, but..."

No, cause here its a crime if you say something like a fact.

One thing is have an opinion about something subjective, like a song.

Many people like New York i dont, but this is a opinion.

Now saying that U2 hava never done anything crap.... ok maybe its a opinion too, but one that is very dificult to swallow....

so you're saying:

"It's my opinion, but... it's a fact, accept it" :hmm:

IMO there's something wrong with that sentence

I wasn't saying that people who love everything u2 do live in fairytailland. I thought that was a normal expression. Could also have been U2-world or something.

I like to live in U2-world. :drool:

About the yacht comment: It's ridiculous, but I don't think you can say something like this. Just because people have money, it doesn't mean they cannot be creative. Seriously, I speak out of my own experience and from knowing people who have money and still feel the inner need to be creative. Having money, houses, a yacht doesn't necessarily take away from your passion for art. It's a silly myth that true artists have to live in poverty. So I cannot accept a comment like this because it seems to come out of a very black and white kind of view of the world.

Btw, U2 were rich already, when they made AB. :wink:

okay, I will go out on a limb here. (if that is the correct expression).
A lot of people on these forums talk about intelligent debating and civil communication and accuse mr Brazil of all sorts of things, for some part rightfully so, on'the the other hand he has a point. A lot of poeple here become very rude when someone dares to suggest that all is not 100% in U2 fairytailland. They almost seem personally attacked. Like someone would want to harm their lovechild or something. Keep in mind that these "mean-anti-U2" comments are made by people who love the band, been to a lot of concerts, travelled all over the world to see them and still they have no bussiness according to some people to "bash" everyone's favourite band. This "bashing" consists of "I think this song sucks" or "Bono is not as good as he used to be" and even a little joke, although with some thruth in it like "People who own a yacht arent capable of making an album as good as JT or AB. I see to remember a very vocal person on these forums and an absolute Bono-fanatic (can you blame the girl, no off course NOT) who took it upon her to write the following statement: in your simplistic view of the world maybe. This was a statement regarding the post about the Yacht.
Did anybody say anything about the rudeness, no off course not because it was in U2's defence that these words were spoken. This makes you wonder, or at least it makes me wonder. I have been on this sometimes addicting blue site for a couple of years and never EVER have I felt offended by idiotic remarks, stupidity or other nonsense. To suggest that I have a limited worldview because I actually believe that people who are multimultimultimillionairs and live like kings arent capable of making intens, sincere rock 'n rol like they used too, made me a bit angry and upset. I dont know why: I have a great life, a beautifull soon to be wife, a cool house and two lovely cats. I have written a novel and am about to finish my second and right now I am finishing our first real record. What was there to be upset about? The answer was surprinsingly simple: The fact that I can not bash my favourite band on my favourite forum is what makes me upset, because it is not bashing, it is sometimes being dissapointed because the standard they set is so ridiculously high. That's why I really can not stand the Oh everything Bono does, even his toiletvisists are magic. if you know what I mean.

Just my opinion

:wave:
Have a great day!

First off congrats on the soon to be wife....I'm in the throws of planning my wedding to the girl of my dreams. Good luck with that BTW :madwife::banghead: x 1000 . Hahaha!!!! J/K (I can get away with that because I know she's not on this board...I wouldn't dare say it to her face)

Unfortunately I don't have too much time to respond to each point you brought up (although all great and valid)

Here's how I will sum it up:

There's a distinct difference between being out right rude and arguing for the sake or arguing and illiciting negative responses (i.e. homerism) vs. intelligent and passionate thought provoking debate.

Both parties in this thread are guilty of the former NOT the latter.

Hmmmm....:hmm: whats a good analogy to get my point across????

Have you ever watched a Hockey fight? The refs let the punches fly for a good minute...but when there's a deadlock and it seems like the fight has pretty much run its course or if one guy is really pounding another guy and it starts getting ugly (i.e. guy falls to ice and is defenseless) they step in and pull them apart. Well, if there's one thing we can learn from that is to know when to say when, step away and save it for another day. It seems like some of these "forum fights" are getting pretty insescant and ugly.

I'm not saying that I'm a hockey ref or anything...but I'm just trying to pull some of these guys apart. Thats all.

...never thought U2 and hockey would ever be remotely relevant . :up:

cheers and good luck with everything!!!!

I like to live in U2-world. :drool:

About the yacht comment: It's ridiculous, but I don't think you can say something like this. Just because people have money, it doesn't mean they cannot be creative. Seriously, I speak out of my own experience and from knowing people who have money and still feel the inner need to be creative. Having money, houses, a yacht doesn't necessarily take away from your passion for art. It's a silly myth that true artists have to live in poverty.

Now THIS is discussing something. I agree with you on the need for being creative (even with all the surroundings that make it virtualy impossible sometimes) but I think that you lose an edge(no un intended) when you have everything. Some time ago I said that the best thing in regards to U2's music would be a divorce for Bono and Ali. Do I want them to split up for the sake of better more intense music? hell no, but I really feel that is impossible to have the same drive, passion, longing if you will as when you were 20-30 and wanted to discover and conquer the world. It is not an accusation, like, hey you have a boat, you suck, off course not. it is "normal" for this to happen, the innerneed remains but the circumstances won't allow you to get that extra sprark. I know this sounds a bit harsh but with the death of Bono's father I was expecting a very VERY reflective album fomr U2 and instead we got HTDAAB which didnt feel that personal with the acception of 2 songs maybe. I remember my break up with my first love after 7 years,. I hit a creative vain which I didnt know it was there. I was writing 10 songs a day, I made 32 french(...) dancetracks in one week eventhough I am a ducth guy. I wrote a book in no time I was living on the edge and I felt it. Now I have another life, comletley different. the innerneed remains, the sprark is still there and I still write songs but that extra something is much more difficult to "dig up"again. maybe the yacht remark was actually a simplification of what I just tried to say here.

Wow, I can't believe this discussion has now invaded another thread. Couldn't this conversation have been contained in the (RED) Wire thread?

First off congrats on the soon to be wife....I'm in the throws of planning my wedding to the girl of my dreams. Good luck with that BTW :madwife::banghead: x 1000 . Hahaha!!!! J/K (I can get away with that because I know she's not on this board...I wouldn't dare say it to her face)

...never thought U2 and hockey would ever be remotely relevant . :up:

cheers and good luck with everything!!!!

Thanks! I am a bit luckier in that aspect I believe. We are getting married on the cook islands so no partyplanningstress with diners who to invite or more importantly who NOT etc..

good luck with everything and your hockey remark actually did make sense :)

Now THIS is discussing something. I agree with you on the need for being creative (even with all the surroundings that make it virtualy impossible sometimes) but I think that you lose an edge(no un intended) when you have everything. Some time ago I said that the best thing in regards to U2's music would be a divorce for Bono and Ali. Do I want them to split up for the sake of better more intense music? hell no, but I really feel that is impossible to have the same drive, passion, longing if you will as when you were 20-30 and wanted to discover and conquer the world. It is not an accusation, like, hey you have a boat, you suck, off course not. it is "normal" for this to happen, the innerneed remains but the circumstances won't allow you to get that extra sprark. I know this sounds a bit harsh but with the death of Bono's father I was expecting a very VERY reflective album fomr U2 and instead we got HTDAAB which didnt feel that personal with the acception of 2 songs maybe. I remember my break up with my first love after 7 years,. I hit a creative vain which I didnt know it was there. I was writing 10 songs a day, I made 32 french(...) dancetracks in one week eventhough I am a ducth guy. I wrote a book in no time I was living on the edge and I felt it. Now I have another life, comletley different. the innerneed remains, the sprark is still there and I still write songs but that extra something is much more difficult to "dig up"again. maybe the yacht remark was actually a simplification of what I just tried to say here.

The outer circumstances of your life don't really reflect what's going on inside, do they? You can have "it all" (at least to people outside) and still have an unhappiness, restlessness and discontent inside of you. That's what I see in Bono and he has said so many times. A good songwriter is also empathic, he can write about other people's feelings without living their lives. In art there is so much more possible than many people are aware of. It's wrong to concentrate only on the surface, on the things we see. You can never look into a person. Bono is happily married, alright, but why is it we hear so very few real love songs from him (not that I want to hear any - heaven beware)?

The outer circumstances of your life don't really reflect what's going on inside, do they? You can have "it all" (at least to people outside) and still have an unhappiness, restlessness and discontent inside of you. That's what I see in Bono and he has said so many times. A good songwriter is also empathic, he can write about other people's feelings without living their lives. In art there is so much more possible than many people are aware of. It's wrong to concentrate only on the surface, on the things we see. You can never look into a person. Bono is happily married, alright, but why is it we hear so very few real love songs from him (not that I want to hear any - heaven beware)?

I absolutely agree on everything you just said here which is a miracle itself :)
maybe the rest of the band is holding Bono back, I dont know but I do not hear the angst, the restlessness and longing in their newer work as much as the "old days" yet Bono looks restless unhappy sometimes even indeed. We agree yet disagree a good developement as far as I am concerned.:wink:

I absolutely agree on everything you just said here which is a miracle itself :)
maybe the rest of the band is holding Bono back, I dont know but I do not hear the angst, the restlessness and longing in their newer work as much as the "old days" yet Bono looks restless unhappy sometimes even indeed. We agree yet disagree a good developement as far as I am concerned.:wink:

If I may interject....

..sounds like your own personal expectations might be potentially getting in the way of the enjoyment of their most recent music. I'm not pointing fingers by an means...I'm very guilty of this at times.

We tend to find some wonderful carthartic moments when we listen to, view, or make various forms of art...and expect that theraputic feeling to continue with the new forms of work that come out...in this case "new U2 albums". But sometimes the artists aren't at that meloncholy anymore, or that joy, or whatever that made you originally connect with their music. Sometimes you can connect with a song, sometimes with an album, and in rare times you can connect with a band. I think the problem with the last one is that you are talking about a band that has reinvented themselves three times over; so are we in essence talking about the same band NOW that you connected with THEN...probably not. Hence the disconnect with the "band".

Thats why you don't see too many artists getting to the point that U2 have gotten to in their careers in turns of longevity and relevance; simply because its damn near impossible to change that much, not allienate fans, and get new fans to enjoy the newer work.

Just my thoughts. Take care.

I never said anything about the yatch coment yet. And i think your point is perfect in a sense that something was lost in this process. The process of becoming a elder band with a stable life between the four of them. I thouht about that long ago, maybe at the Leave Behind era, just when they ended the circle of experimentalism. If i got older imagine them with lots of kids and a hollywood-like lifestyle.
Of course that angst that you mentioned was gone. Not just because they became multi milionaires but because their situation in their own lifes. As with us all, we get older, more mature, our priorities change.

That rebel atitude just doesn't work in the same way as before, you don't shout, you articulate. You don't moan or cry, you become melancolic. You don't sing about your lover, you sing about your relantionship. All of this changes are very cleat throughtout their discografy and are understandable from the point of people who are growing too. We learn to expect diferent thing from everyone, including U2.

I never said anything about the yatch coment yet. And i think your point is perfect in a sense that something was lost in this process. The process of becoming a elder band with a stable life between the four of them. I thouht about that long ago, maybe at the Leave Behind era, just when they ended the circle of experimentalism. If i got older imagine them with lots of kids and a hollywood-like lifestyle.
Of course that angst that you mentioned was gone. Not just because they became multi milionaires but because their situation in their own lifes. As with us all, we get older, more mature, our priorities change.

That rebel atitude just doesn't work in the same way as before, you don't shout, you articulate. You don't moan or cry, you become melancolic. You don't sing about your lover, you sing about your relantionship. All of this changes are very cleat throughtout their discografy and are understandable from the point of people who are growing too. We learn to expect diferent thing from everyone, including U2.

I think my response to zwervers2 comment might apply to you as well.

YOU maybe interested in hearing more angst and rebellious attitude and judge it as being top notch using your personal measuring stick for assessing good or bad U2 work...but thats only because you are judging it based on your own expectations from previous work that struck a chord with you.

Now thats fine and good and more than relevant...everyone is guilty of this to some degree at one point or another. The trouble is that you then severely taint your own ability to be open and somewhat unbiased to any of their new work because you're seeing it through the goggles of your own created expectations. I know, I know...everyone does this....I'm not arguing that point one bit. I just think you need to acknoledge that and understand it.

What if the first time you heard U2 was during the ATCLYB era like my young cousin did with an unbiased, no expectation outlook? She absolutely loved it because it struck a chord with her. So what do you think happened when she heard Achtung Baby for the first time?

SHE HATED IT!!!!! :doh:

Buts thats because of the same thing I was trying to explain to you above. She had different expectations...and they weren't met. The band was TOO dark for her.

Understand my point? One man's trash is another man's treasure...so to speak.

Just don't try to force someone to believe that their treasure is trash. Comprendes meu amigo? :wink:

YOU maybe interested in hearing more angst and rebellious attitude and judge it as being top notch using your personal measuring stick for assessing good or bad U2 work...but thats only because you are judging it based on your own expectations from previous work that struck a chord with you.

Now thats fine and good and more than relevant...everyone is guilty of this to some degree at one point or another. The trouble is that you then severely taint your own ability to be open and somewhat unbiased to any of their new work because you're seeing it through the goggles of your own created expectations. I know, I know...everyone does this....I'm not arguing that point one bit. I just think you need to acknoledge that and understand it.

What if the first time you heard U2 was during the ATCLYB era like my young cousin did with an unbiased, no expectation outlook? She absolutely loved it because it struck a chord with her. So what do you think happened when she heard Achtung Baby for the first time?

Buts thats because of the same thing I was trying to explain to you above. She had different expectations...and they weren't met. The band was TOO dark for her.

Just don't try to force someone to believe that their treasure is trash. Comprendes meu amigo? :wink:

No! Its quite the oposite! If you read carefully what i just wrote, i said exactly what you mean. In my own expierence i had to learn to expect diferent things from U2 because of ther growth and mine! I think there is no more perfect example than ATYCLB. Apart from expecting good songs, i was sure that they would not deliver another JT or UABRS. They were at their 40's and it would be weird if they showed the same young rebel atitude. Although sometimes i wonder why they sounded much more mature on Running to Stand Still than Elevation for example...
And with this new album all i expect is some good songs, beautiful crafted hamornies and two or three words about the problems the wolrd has today, but from a man's point of view.

very good points :up: although I have to say that I also listen more as a musician than lets say 15 years ago, that also changes your perspective. Whereas I used to love Edge for his guitarwork, I can play it with relative ease nowadays and that takes away the magic a little somehow. That doesn't mean I haven't got the upmost respect for him and the fantastic stuff he has done and hopefully will do very soon but it is inevitable that that changes your perspective a bit.I am getting older too you know and the interest shifts which I feel is a good thing. That this band is able to make me enthousiastic about their music for so long is an incredible accomplishment considering the fact that I get bored VERY easily :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom