"Another circlejerk Random I f*cked Lance's Mom in the brownie Movie discussion"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was lucky enough to be at a lunch with Ebert around the time he got his star on the walk of fame, before his serious medical troubles began. There were less than 15 at the long table, so it was a relatively intimate. Kind of fun to participate in a group conversation with the guy, mostly about movies.

And of course he's been a major influence on my filmgoing self.

There is an amazing article on Roger Ebert and the challenges hes living with now in Esquire. Though its not very original of me to say so, he's always been one of my favourite movie critics. Hes never afraid to recommend a movie that would otherwise be looked down upon by other 'high brow' reviewers. He seems to be one of the few who take into account what a movie is trying to achieve, then judges it on those merits. He always seems so genuine and unpretentious (His review of Wolfman alone convinced me to spend money to see it in the theatre dispite the other less than favourable reviews). Anyway, its an interesting article. You should check it out

Roger Ebert Cancer Battle - Roger Ebert Interview - Esquire

I'll also add that the portrait of him on the first page is a little shocking at first, but I give the man all the credit in the world for having the confidence to sit for it. Its a very brave statement about where he is in his life

Yeah, that's the same reason why Ebert's my favorite critic out there. Like you said, he understands the objective aspects of a film and what it's trying to achieve, but focuses on his own reaction first and foremost, which is the balance I've been trying to strike in my film-viewing as well as a direct result of that.

I'll check out the article soon.

I was lucky enough to be at a lunch with Ebert around the time he got his star on the walk of fame, before his serious medical troubles began. There were less than 15 at the long table, so it was a relatively intimate. Kind of fun to participate in a group conversation with the guy, mostly about movies.

And of course he's been a major influence on my filmgoing self.

Holy shit.

How did you score that, Laz? Do you work in the industry?

Nope, he was friends with relatives of mine who happened to be in Los Angeles at the time of the ceremony. They called me to meet them for lunch, and I show up at this nice hotel, walk into this private dining room and then to my surprise saw Ebert & his wife at the table. Had no clue he was gonna be there.

I was having a really complicated evening, so I doubt I was in the right frame of mind to fully comprehend it.

I enjoyed it, though.

I liked and disliked that movie at the same time.

I want to see it on Blu-Ray at some point, could potentially look pretty nifty in high def.

Overheard in an Austin, Texas dive bar on a Wednesday night:

"You wanna go see Shutter Island on Friday? I love Scorsese, man. Even though Drag Me To Hell was disappointing."

"You wanna go see Shutter Island on Friday? I love Scorsese, man. Even though Drag Me To Hell was disappointing."

This is wonderful. Leo can look somewhat like a possessed goat though, so I guess it's an understandable mistake.

Maybe the guy meant Bringing out the Dead

Shutter Island is getting good reviews.

I thought The Departed was a very good, I think I sat through it twice.

I hope you at least gave the guy an invisible cockpunch with your eyes.

Maybe the guy meant Bringing out the Dead

I'm guessing someone's not going to reference a film from ten years ago in terms of expectation. Plus we're talking about Texas--the odds are higher that he was just a halfwit.

halfwit = meth head

I thought about that, you could be right or he may not get
out often, caught Bringing out the Dead, on cable, recently

we should just be impressed that managed to sting together a coherent sentence, with two proper film titles, between the beer and the meth

They've been beating us over the head with ads for it on NBC, but Ron Howard's new show Parenthood, starring Lorelai Gilmore and Nate Fisher, looks really good and I'm pretty excited for it.

I don't think so, but he doesn't want to blend in and be indistinguishable. He wants to be a part of the different crowd and assert his individuality along with others who are different like him though.

I saw the Epic Beard Man video a couple days ago. Its hilarious. It took me a while to figure out what all the comments about "amber lamps" was all about though. Theres also an interview video with EBM. The guy is completely insane. I love it

455px-Ambulance_hail.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom