Random Movie Talk XII: A Locker Full of Hurtin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with Stephen King, just the adaptations not directed by Frank Darabont.

insert_kubrick.jpg

"MotherFUCKER."

I've been thinking about a reply to this for like 15 minutes and have nothing.

Hell, I'm proud of myself for that one.

As what, another miniseries? Can we put a moratorium on Stephen King adaptations? Please?

:shrug: I hate most of the movies they've made of his books because they generally are terrible. I love The Shining, though. And I love The Stand as a book, and felt it could have been done ridiculously better as a movie. Like as a trilogy or as an HBO miniseries or something. But hey, I guess this is why I stay away from this area of the forum for the most part.

:shrug: I hate most of the movies they've made of his books because they generally are terrible. I love The Shining, though. And I love The Stand as a book, and felt it could have been done ridiculously better as a movie. Like as a trilogy or as an HBO miniseries or something. But hey, I guess this is why I stay away from this area of the forum for the most part.

I watched all of The Stand miniseries once, and man, was that bad. If it were made now, it would probably be better. Kingdom Hospital was pretty awesome, but that was an actual television series.

The new Salem's Lot was kind of lame, as was Rose Red, Storm of the Century, the new Shining miniseries...

Oh right, forgot about that.

I think there should be a drinking game for any Criterion Peter Bogdanovich interview:

1. Any time he name-drops a famous director by his first name, take a shot.
2. Any time he tells an anecdote where he tries to impersonate another director, take a shot.
3. Any time you are about to fall asleep, slap yourself in the face, then take a shot.

I respect the hell out of the guy and only wish I could be as knowledgeable as he is about seemingly everything someday, but come on, he's kind of a fop.

I'll give you the Dead Zone, although I liked the show a lot better than the movie. But no to Kubrick, from an adaptation point of view the Shining is terrible, as its own movie its great. I'm not even going to get into a debate on Darabont, you can have your opinions and I can have mine.

Although... 1408 was surprisingly good.

Makes an astounding movie based on a book, and it's a terrible adaption.... because it's not especially faithful? Is that how we judge these things now?

Yes, I'm saying that if you're looking at how it translated the book it did a terrible job. That's not to say I don't appreciate the film on its own terms.

What's up, slippery slope?

I think King would rather the adaptations of his films be straight and fairly terrible than to diverge from the text and be awesome and/or watchable, at the very least. Most of the "better" King films are based off of short stories anyway, though I've yet to see Cronenberg's Dead Zone or Carpenter's Christine. Let's say De Palma's Carrie was a disappointment (cue Laz scoff), though it has its moments.

Largely faithful novel adaptations rarely turn into excellent films.

You're loathsome scum, like, of the lowest order. Like, just dirty, filth-ridden scum.....

But one of the funniest things you ever typed was when I was saying that if you kept mocking how faithful the Potter films were to the source material, the interland Potter fans were gonna kill you.....and your reply was:

"BUT THAT'S NOT IN THE BOOK!!!"

Still makes me laugh.

Also, you're scum.

Haha, personally my favorite Potter films are the ones that have the gall to actually be a film, so Cuaron and Yates' installments, because they focused on the essential elements of the story instead of padding random details that would work in a miniseries but bog down a movie. That said, they do not miss the whole feeling of the source. I have no problem with changes as long as the themes or ideas behind a novel are translated well, otherwise what's the point of licensing something other than gaining notoriety from the built-in audience? Make it your own, but to a point.

Unless you're doing the 1852598345th version of something, or you're turning pulp trash into cinema gold like Jaws or Psycho.

I loved books first, so debate with my all you want, that's how I feel.

Which is why Half-Blood Prince was a massive fail. Instead of being about Harry questioning his legacy and his connection to Voldemort, we got to see teenage romance n' shit. Awesome!

Haha, personally my favorite Potter films are the ones that have the gall to actually be a film, so Cuaron and Yates' installments, because they focused on the essential elements of the story instead of padding random details that would work in a miniseries but bog down a movie. That said, they do not miss the whole feeling of the source. I have no problem with changes as long as the themes or ideas behind a novel are translated well, otherwise what's the point of licensing something other than gaining notoriety from the built-in audience? Make it your own, but to a point.

Unless you're doing the 1852598345th version of something, or you're turning pulp trash into cinema gold like Jaws or Psycho.

I loved books first, so debate with my all you want, that's how I feel.

I like books first, not sure what that has to do with anything, though. :shrug:

But, I'm not looking to debate you, you like what you like, same here.

I respect the hell out of the guy and only wish I could be as knowledgeable as he is about seemingly everything someday, but come on, he's kind of a fop.

Oh yeah, without a doubt. He's a total fop. All I gotta say is, buy a used copy of his book This Is Orson Welles. Will change your life, break your heart, blow your mind. Great shit.

I love her. Did you ever see the Avatar one??

Yeah, that one's hilarious too. I think it was made right when she started dating Lance.

WMost of the "better" King films are based off of short stories anyway, though I've yet to see Cronenberg's Dead Zone or Carpenter's Christine. Let's say De Palma's Carrie was a disappointment (cue Laz scoff), though it has its moments.

De Palma's Carrie is one of his better films. Christine is alright, but not vintage Carpenter.

The Dead Zone is very underrated. Creepy film.

This strikes me as an incredibly fair and reasonable statement, if perhaps a bit vaguely worded, unless I'm misreading it.

The thing is, most people who do adaptations defer to the cultural standing of the source material's writer. In the case of The Shining, Stanley Kubrick is a more important figure in film than King is to literature. So there's really no crime in Kubrick manipulating the source material to suit his own ends. Unless you're a defensive/sensitive King fan (which would be a pretty sad existence), there's nothing to get upset about. A great artist used a mainstream writer's work to make a great film. Who gives a shit how faithful it is? Personally, I think all of the Michael Crichton film adaptations have been pathetic condensations of his interesting ideas and theories (save Robert Wise's Andromeda Strain), but I'm not going to get too riled up about Jurassic Park because it was entertaining as hell, and it's Michael fucking Crichton.

A) The Dead Zone is really solid. Wasn't a fan of the show.

B) Make-up girl and I are no longer seeing each other. It was sad but we left each other on decent terms.

Oh yeah, without a doubt. He's a total fop. All I gotta say is, buy a used copy of his book This Is Orson Welles. Will change your life, break your heart, blow your mind. Great shit.

De Palma's Carrie is one of his better films. Christine is alright, but not vintage Carpenter.

The Dead Zone is very underrated. Creepy film.

I'll add that to the list after I finish Scorsese by Ebert and Dune, thanks.

No, it's not. Hell, I thought the weakest part of the film was the climax in the gym, even if it was some sophisticated camera work and scene construction. I don't know, it's late and I'm having a hard time putting to words why it rubbed me the wrong way; maybe it's because of the amount of characters who were unjustly killed in that scene, followed by John Travolta and Nancy Allen's characters dying in some lame-ass car explosion right after - the pay-off didn't match the expectations laid out earlier in the film, not in a way that subverts what I wanted to see, but one that felt unfulfilling all of the way through. Also, for the record:

1. Blow Out
2. The Fury
3. Carlito's Way
4. Phantom of the Paradise
5. Obsession
6. Sisters
7. Mission: Impossible
8. Body Double (After seeing Dressed to Kill and understanding that this was a self-parody, I grew to like it more.)
9. Scarface
10. Carrie
11. The Untouchables
12. Dressed to Kill

Both Christine and The Dead Zone are on Watch Instantly, so I'll have to give them a shot soon. The former's one of the few Carpenter films that I haven't seen, along with In the Mouth of Madness, Vampires and Dark Star.

The thing is, most people who do adaptations defer to the cultural standing of the source material's writer. In the case of The Shining, Stanley Kubrick is a more important figure in film than King is to literature. So there's really no crime in Kubrick manipulating the source material to suit his own ends. Unless you're a defensive/sensitive King fan (which would be a pretty sad existence), there's nothing to get upset about. A great artist used a mainstream writer's work to make a great film. Who gives a shit how faithful it is? Personally, I think all of the Michael Crichton film adaptations have been pathetic condensations of his interesting ideas and theories (save Robert Wise's Andromeda Strain), but I'm not going to get too riled up about Jurassic Park because it was entertaining as hell, and it's Michael fucking Crichton.

No Man Understands That Point More Than He:

this will be on HBO

I think it is only 45 minutes long

i_knew_it_was_you.jpg

I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale 8:00 PM, HBOE

1603.jpg

Filmmaker Richard Shepard spent three years making this warm tribute to his favorite actor, a performer whose big-screen acting career consisted of just five movies -- but what movies they were. Perhaps best known as Fredo in "The Godfather" and "The Godfather: Part II," Cazale also appeared in "The Conversation," "Dog Day Afternoon" and "The Deer Hunter" before dying of bone cancer at only 42.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom