Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Master List and Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A million times easier, hey.

Yeah. I think I spent more time downloading, importing, and tagging things back in the day than I did listening. Because I was a perfectionist about my iTunes. Makes me feel silly about my previous comments on streaming lists. Six years makes a hell of a difference.

In general, I think that the streaming option makes everything feel more open and accessible. We don't have any non-participants listening, but if they wanted to, they very easily could. The process was much more challenging in past DIs.

Btw, did Laz find a solution? I really don't want to lose him as a participant and listener.

I refrained from being all “Axver the data nightmare” but when I said 80-20 I definitely meant everyone-axver regarding whose artists returned values from Wikipedia correctly [emoji23][emoji23]

I knew I’d hear from you though!

I figured as much. :lol:

true, but 13 of 36 are, making the US the country containing the most artists on your list. unlike mine ;)

That's a plurality but not a majority, nyah nyah.

I am actually surprised that much of my list turned out to be American, though. 15 from Australia and NZ is no surprise, but I didn't realise I had just three from the UK until I did that breakdown.

In general, I think that the streaming option makes everything feel more open and accessible. We don't have any non-participants listening, but if they wanted to, they very easily could. The process was much more challenging in past DIs.

Absolutely. It's so much easier. I'm finally getting around to listening to laz (not because of the non-Spotify aspect) and it was quick to put his stuff in order but having to do that for all lists would be discouraging.

Pity we couldn't do this back in the day when we really could've picked up a few additional listeners.

i'm going to withdraw my playlist from consideration. long story short, i way underestimated the time required to do this properly and i have too much going on right now to listen to these with any kind of thoughtfulness which means i'm falling further behind, which is only adding to my stress and anxiety. i really wish my playlist hadn't been first on the list because that only made it worse, feeling like if i drop out i'll have wasted everyone's time and people would be pissed at me. so i'm sorry for that, but there's just no way i can do this properly, and it wouldn't be fair if i half-assed some people's lists or skipped parts just to get through them. i still want to check out as much of your lists as i can when i have time, but right now trying to keep up with the competition and listen mindfully/take notes/write commentary/etc feels like an obligation that i just don't have the time or energy right now to keep up with.

thanks for listening to my playlist everyone, and i hope you don't feel too much like i wasted your time or took advantage, but if you do feel that way, i understand and i'm sorry for that.

best of luck to all of you :up:

Don't worry about it, Dave. It's just a fun little music sharing thing on the internet, and you got to share some music! So you're all good. No reason to feel bad.

Also, it's a global pandemic. We need a vaccine, or at least some kind of decently effective treatment.

i'm going to withdraw my playlist from consideration. long story short, i way underestimated the time required to do this properly and i have too much going on right now to listen to these with any kind of thoughtfulness which means i'm falling further behind, which is only adding to my stress and anxiety. i really wish my playlist hadn't been first on the list because that only made it worse, feeling like if i drop out i'll have wasted everyone's time and people would be pissed at me. so i'm sorry for that, but there's just no way i can do this properly, and it wouldn't be fair if i half-assed some people's lists or skipped parts just to get through them. i still want to check out as much of your lists as i can when i have time, but right now trying to keep up with the competition and listen mindfully/take notes/write commentary/etc feels like an obligation that i just don't have the time or energy right now to keep up with.

thanks for listening to my playlist everyone, and i hope you don't feel too much like i wasted your time or took advantage, but if you do feel that way, i understand and i'm sorry for that.

best of luck to all of you :up:

Ah man! That’s disappointing.

Totally understandable though. Although I’m fairly caught up (only two lists in group 2 left to listen to), I’ve had similar situations to what you describe in the past which have stressed me out.

I’m probably in the minority, but I wish we had more time with the lists. If I were in charge, I’d put out one every five days or so for the listening thread, maybe two at a time. For myself, it feels like DI is almost all I have time to listen to right now and while I really enjoy it, I also would like to listen to other stuff in between DI lists.

Obviously it’s way too late to change it for this iteration, but maybe next time we can consider slowing down just a little.

Sorry to hear that, Dave.

I'm trying to do my best with the timing of the lists and it's a difficult balance to strike because there's such a wide range of opinions on the matter. The path we're on right now is pretty traditional for DI, I'd say, and I would like to remind everyone that there is an extra catchup week built in after group 3 concludes. But if it's going too quickly, we can talk about slowing down.

I don’t mean to be a squeaky wheel or anything. And I’m fine if we keep it the way it is, but I would personally prefer a slowdown, even if only slightly. I wouldn’t have said anything if Dave didn’t drop out. But maybe we can discuss it in five years before DIXII. Haha!

haha jks. I haven't even seen that movie. Only the Simpsons TOH episode.

Take it easy man, sounds like you made the right decision so bloody good on you for doing that. No one should give a fuck, as GAF says, it's a fun little thing. You can always listen to the lists in future when you have the time.

i had my most productive work day in at least a week today because i didn't have "you should be listening to a playlist instead" in the back of my mind all day.

i still plan to listen to all the playlists eventually, but i'll do it at my own pace. thanks for understanding, folks.

If you reach June and you're close to hearing them all, feel free to turn in a ballot.

Ashley, Laz, how are you two doing? How is everyone else doing? Are people feeling good about what they've listened to, or do we need to factor in some more time?

Yeah, I was going to reach out and ask if we needed any extra time. If not, I intend to post group 3 tomorrow.

At that point, we can just take as much time as we need before ballots are turned in, since all the playlists will be available.

I’m all caught up. It’s been nice listening to some other music the last few days. Kinda glad group 3 hasn’t been posted yet, though, because I’ve had a headache all day but probably would have powered through it to listen to a playlist.

I have two more group two listens. Comments are lagged but honestly is that a bad thing? I kinda think it’s nice to keep group 1 lightly talked about whilst group 3 is underway so they not forgotten.

That’s how I justify myself.

Oh not at all. The fluidity is fine, I'm enjoying it. I'll listen to Gump's today. And excited to listen to my own again now that I've had a break from it :lol:

I’m done with group 2, just need to post my comments on namkcuR’s list.

I can't believe how much easier it is to do DI with Spotify. Tracks in order. Synced across all my devices. I can listen anywhere without having to plug in my iPod and make a specific playlist or something to ensure it's all in order.

Oh shit, are we almost up to group 3 already? I had thought I was making good pace but I still have three to go in group 2 and the last two days just... vanished.

But I'll easily get through all of them in time for a ballot. Don't let me stop you from posting group 3, LM.

Ashley, Laz, how are you two doing?

I had said something last week but I guess I didn't make it official. I'm DQing myself from the competition. Sorry to everyone for having to listen to my playlist already as it was in the first group, before it was clear that this streaming-only arrangement wasn't going to be viable for me.

In the words of Brian Wilson, I just wasn't made for these times.

I had said something last week but I guess I didn't make it official. I'm DQing myself from the competition. Sorry to everyone for having to listen to my playlist already as it was in the first group, before it was clear that this streaming-only arrangement wasn't going to be viable for me.

In the words of Brian Wilson, I just wasn't made for these times.

No need to apologize man. Your list was cool and we all got to hear it, so that's a positive.

I mean, as a result of bowing out, you now have the death sentence on 12 systems. But other than that, don't worry about it.

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom