"Another circlejerk Random I f*cked Lance's Mom in the brownie Movie discussion"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught up on Weeds. S5 finale was one hell of a cliffhanger.

I've gotta catch up, too. New season's when? July?

So The Wolfman was good. The transformation and subsequent werewolf scenes were fantastic in all of their gory mayhem. However, it's pretty obvious where the cuts were made to keep it a B-movie (mainly in the first act), crippling the Del Toro/Blunt relationship and with it, most of the dramatic tension. It could have been as good as Coppola's Dracula, instead in its current form, it's in this nebulous realm between that and the first Mummy remake, although it's more thrilling than that soulless piece of garbage. Apparently the "Director's Cut" will have 20 minutes put back in, so we'll see how that goes.

On another note, I've got pre-screening tix for Hot Tub Time Machine on Wednesday and MOTHERFUCKIN' Shutter Island hits next week. Huzzah!

I like how you post the Wolfman review in here, and then ask the question about year-end lists in the Review The Movie You've Just Seen thread.

FYI, Glenn Kenny RAVED Shutter Island, comparing it to fucking Vertigo:

Some Came Running: "Shutter Island"

Very exciting, to say the least.

And yes, I'm pretty much ready to finalize my list. I don't think the few I haven't seen, like Crazy Heart or Tuccirape, would be making it anyway.

I'm like a Little League coach, I don't want to leave any kid out, no matter how handicapped he is.

Cannot fucking wait.

I've got Bronson and The Cove on my dresser, and would like to at least see Ponyo, Bright Star, Broken Embraces, and The White Ribbon before I feel totally accomplished.

I had fun this afternoon at The Wolfman, so sue me. Could it have been a lot better with Andrew Kevin Walker's screenplay left intact, and helmed by any of the other directors they considered? You bet. Would it have made a lot more money in October? Certainly. Did we need some sort of character development for Emily Blunt? Duh. But I still had fun with the atmosphere and the scenery (and artery) chewing.

Ah, just read your thoughts LMP, glad to see you still found some entertainment in it as well.

I've gotta catch up, too. New season's when? July?

May/June is what keeps coming with the Google. I moved midway through last season, meaning my free Showtime was lost in the process. Fortunately all of the episodes I needed were on the second disc of THE BLU! anyway. Knocked them all out in one sitting, as is the custom with Weeds.

Has anyone heard of this DVD-BR exchange program that Warners is offering? You mail them your old DVDs and for like $8-$10 a pop they'll send you back the Blu of the same film. If you get more than 3 at a time it's free shipping.

Not a whole lot of titles but they have a handful of Kubrick films, The Searchers, The Aviator, Pan's Labyrinth, some other good ones.

Anyway, here's the link:

DVD2Blu - Blu-ray Offer - Upgrade Your Warner Bros. DVDs for New Blu-ray Discs

Indeed, but it was still a wasted opportunity. First time Danny Elfman's shown a musical pulse in ages though.

Agreed, although the film leans heavily on Sleepy Hollow's style (and personnel what with Andrew Kevin Walker and Elfman), weirdly enough they originally threw out Elfman's score and wanted him to do another which he couldn't because of work on Alice in Wonderland, so they hired some other composer who I heard made some electronic score :)coocoo:) which was obviously deemed inappropriate, and so viola, Elfman's score was restored for the final cut.

I was just going to wonder aloud what happened to Lance, as I feel like it's been a while since his last post, and then he pops up in Jeff Wells' blog comments.

Agreed, although the film leans heavily on Sleepy Hollow's style (and personnel what with Andrew Kevin Walker and Elfman), weirdly enough they originally threw out Elfman's score and wanted him to do another which he couldn't because of work on Alice in Wonderland, so they hired some other composer who I heard made some electronic score :)coocoo:) which was obviously deemed inappropriate, and so viola, Elfman's score was restored for the final cut.

Yeah, I know the story. It had to do with the film being recut so many times.

I was just going to wonder aloud what happened to Lance, as I feel like it's been a while since his last post, and then he pops up in Jeff Wells' blog comments.

He told me on FB that he's been taking a break from this place.

That was hilarious.

I called bullshit on Wells saying Precinct 13 was Carpenter's peak. He's a loony.

Odd call by Wells, especially as he was denigrating Rio Bravo (which it's loosely based on) not too long ago.

There are at least seven Carpy films I prefer.

Big Trouble
Prince of Darkness
The Thing
They Live
In the Mouth of Madness
Halloween
The Fog
Escape From New York

Well, make that eight films.

It's the only one of his films I've yet to see, along with In the Mouth of Madness. Should be getting to that sooner rather than later, at least before The Ward comes out.

That's part of the reason why I dislike Wells most of the time. He's touchy and standoffish in almost any of his posts, and when people call him out on it, even respectfully, most of the time he doesn't even respond. Like you said though, damn entertaining.

Thirst is available on Lovefilm for streaming, so that's a Monday bonus. Still got a few 2009 titles I need to see though:

Public Enemies
Fish Tank
Sin Nombre
Antichrist
Broken Embraces

And maybe some more that I'm forgetting right now. I did see PONYO! at the cinema this weekend, so that's 2010 off to a flying start. Haven't got round to seeing Up in the Air yet, but funnily enough it looks to be on the showing on the plane when I emigrate to Australia in 4 weeks. Whoopee.

Sin Nombre is one of the better films of 2009

disappointing that it is not on many lists in lieu of some of the crap that made it.

It's been a Netflix Instant kind of afternoon. Watched Big Fan and really enjoyed it. Then I skimmed Havoc for the Hath nude scenes, which was absolutely worth the trouble.

Someone create a new Review the Last Movie thread with a witty title so I can talk about the movie I just watched.

So I went to that screenwriters panel tonight. Sadly, not only were the Coen Bros not there (which I already knew), Mark Boal couldn't make it and the just-added Tarantino also cancelled at the last minute.

The good news: with the absence of Quentin I actually got to hear the other people talk. The guys from In The Loop were hilarious, as was Nick Hornby (dryly), and Jason Reitman was kind of the superstar there, but very insightful at times, and was lavishing heavy praise on District 9 (Blomkamp wasn't there but his co-writer was).

The two writers from Up were charming, but kind of didn't belong (and I mean that about the actual nominations as well). One of the guys who wrote The Messenger shared some pretty interesting stuff about the genesis and development of their script. I need to see that one.

Anyway, it was presented by the Creative Screenwriting magazine, and the whole thing will be on iTunes as of Friday, if I'm not mistaken. Worth a listen.

That's cool that you were able to at least go to that though, even if most of the heavy-hitters had to back out. Creative Screenwriting's one of my favorite podcasts, too.

So I'd kind of been avoiding Moon for the past year because of how derivative of other movies it looked, and while I respect Sam Rockwell as an actor there's something about him that just gets under my skin so and entire movie of just him talking to himself wasn't attracting me... but I've been under a rock and didn't know Clint Mansell scored it, now I'll have to watch it (especially as I'm listening to the music right now).

There is an amazing article on Roger Ebert and the challenges hes living with now in Esquire. Though its not very original of me to say so, he's always been one of my favourite movie critics. Hes never afraid to recommend a movie that would otherwise be looked down upon by other 'high brow' reviewers. He seems to be one of the few who take into account what a movie is trying to achieve, then judges it on those merits. He always seems so genuine and unpretentious (His review of Wolfman alone convinced me to spend money to see it in the theatre dispite the other less than favourable reviews). Anyway, its an interesting article. You should check it out

Roger Ebert Cancer Battle - Roger Ebert Interview - Esquire

I'll also add that the portrait of him on the first page is a little shocking at first, but I give the man all the credit in the world for having the confidence to sit for it. Its a very brave statement about where he is in his life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom