Working with an autistic kid - advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varitek

Blue Crack Addict
I was a little unsure of where to put this, as it isn't a confession or political issue but it's a little serious for LS. Mods, move if you think there's a better place for it. Maybe we need a how-to section of the forum. :hmm:

Next year I'll be working with a 10 year old with autism. Most of the time he'll be with his parents or his therapist, but I'll be watching him sometimes. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences, tips, or resources I should look at.

Thanks!

Hi there
found this site - don't know if it will be of any assistance but there are a couple of links to behavioural management techniques which might be useful :)

I'm not a teacher but my sons have a school friend who has autism - he is a beautiful kid and (I hope this doesn't come off sounding patronising - words are not my strength) its been a great experience for my kids to meet their friend - to learn about the way the world looks through someone elses eyes - kids are amazingly emphatic and really just take their mates 'quirks' in their stride. It's sure to be a hugely rewarding experience for you - I'd be interested to hear how you get on. Good luck :up:

www.autismhelp.info/main.htm

You can PM Phil (my husband, Got Philk?). He works in special ed and has worked with autistic kids. You could also PM verte, she has been quite open about having Aspergers and given us info before. I do know that there is quite a huge spectrum of autism, so it might be helpful to know how severe he is.

Varitek said:
I was a little unsure of where to put this, as it isn't a confession or political issue but it's a little serious for LS. Mods, move if you think there's a better place for it.

I moved it to Zoo Confessionals because even though it isn't a confession, this forum tends to deal with more serious issues, so this is a good spot for topics like this.

Unfortunately, I don't have much advice. I volunteered at a day camp for special needs kids one summer, but that's the only experience I have had. There was a girl with autism there, she liked me a lot. She got so excited to see me one day that she crashed into me and knocked me backwards. I hit my head on a cement wall and was out cold. Nothing like getting taken down by an 8 year old! :lol: Sounds like you will be able to get some advice from other folks here though. :up:

You can pm me...my son Sebastian is 21, and a high functioning autistic Savant, but with several other disabilties including being legally blind.
If you need any help ever, let me know.

:)

Varitek said:
I was a little unsure of where to put this, as it isn't a confession or political issue but it's a little serious for LS. Mods, move if you think there's a better place for it. Maybe we need a how-to section of the forum. :hmm:

Next year I'll be working with a 10 year old with autism. Most of the time he'll be with his parents or his therapist, but I'll be watching him sometimes. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences, tips, or resources I should look at.

Thanks!

Hi,
If you want to ask me some questions, e-mail me

phil.kelder at g mail . com

uh, you gots to put it all together. ;)

Purplereign said:
I'm not a teacher but my sons have a school friend who has autism - he is a beautiful kid and (I hope this doesn't come off sounding patronising - words are not my strength) its been a great experience for my kids to meet their friend - to learn about the way the world looks through someone elses eyes - kids are amazingly emphatic and really just take their mates 'quirks' in their stride. It's sure to be a hugely rewarding experience for you - I'd be interested to hear how you get on. Good luck :up:

I agree completely...it's good for kids to be exposed to different types of people so they know that the world isn't black and white and that everyone is different and unique.

I work with a young brother-sister pair with special needs - the little boy is 6 and has Aspergers and ADHD (quite a combination, let me tell you lol) and the little girl was born extremely premature and has a whole plethora of mental and physical delays. My nephew is 5 and has been surrounded by people who are 'different' his whole life. His dad (my brother) is deaf, his mother's parents are both deaf, and all of their friends are deaf and have varying degrees of special needs. He knows, even at 5, that everyone is different but that everyone deserves the same amount of respect.

I'll also agree 100% with Carek1230's comment about patience. I've worked with kids for most of my life and I help to raise my nephew, but the kids I'm working with now are probably the hardest I've ever had to deal with. It can be frustrating and difficult and sometimes you want to just sit down and cry (either because of their behavior or because of their limitations and your heart just breaks for them), but it's also the most rewarding job I've ever had. :)

Back
Top Bottom