Willie's Diary - All info and updates HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd rather hear Elevation twice than the bathroom break mood-killer that is Miss Sarajevo

:runs:

Are we basing this interpretation that HMTMKMKM or any other song aren't working simply on bootlegs and youtube videos? How many of us have actually been to these last three shows?

No disrespect to anyone at all, but bootlegs, youtube videos, and even one or two single-person experiences are piss-poor means to judge the reception of a song or a full concert.

I haven't been to any of the last three shows, but I can't imagine that HMTMKMKM is tanking. Anyone who was 10 years old and up remembers that song and the terrible Batman flick that went with it. Half of us had the soundtrack so that we could get that song and Seal's "Kiss From a Rose." :reject: And it's got some bite to it. While I don't expect people to have a communal orgasm like that which occurs during Streets, nor will they pogo like during Elevation or others, I can't really see a cold reception. :shrug:

its willie's tour diary, for goodness sakes. Just because the show designer thinks he would like to add certain songs doesn't mean the band is going to go along with it. The band has said that they would play 3 or 4 new songs, and so far they have delivered on 3 of the 4 in just 3 shows, so i dont think they are intentionally trying to frustrate internet posters with 50k posts. :sexywink:

I suspect if they were all tight lipped about everything some people would be complaining that "they never tell us fans anything, it's so very off-putting"

:hug:

amen!

PS, aside from all of the "aww U2 teases me" bullshit that is going on, anyone stop and think that Willie suggesting they play it means they have been working on it recently?

Could mean that it is another songs they have revived, revamped and rerecorded, and hopefully is indicative of the direction they are going. Mercy and North Star HTDUB in place of AMAAW and ABOY (make them acceptable bsides) would have turned it into a pretty cracking record

that was my initial thought as well. it's cool that U2 still has this song on the brain. Willie obviously wouldn't have mentioned it if U2 hadn't been working on it.

I really like most of the warhorses, except for Bullet. Even Pride, but I really have no desire to ever see it again live. SHF is great, Streets is beautiful, I love One, I love WOWY, I love BD, I enjoy Vertigo and Elevation when I'm at the shows (and even sometimes in the bootlegs!), COBL is God's gift to humanity, Mysterious Ways is a blast, UTEOTW is one of my favorite songs ever, etc. I also like NYD being played occasionally, but I don't have that much interest in it taking a permanent spot. I still think it's a good song, though.

Regarding Mercy... earlier, I thought its chances of being played live were 0.5% or so. Now, I'd put the chances at about 5%. Just because Willie "suggests" it doesn't mean that U2 will ever take the suggestion seriously, or that they've been working on or thinking about the song. Remember, Willie was shooting for October and WAS to be played in Dublin last year ( :drool: ).

I love reading Willie's stuff. I have a book somewhere with huge sections of his tour diaries from Popmart. A great read.

I think I found him on Facebook. I haven't tried to contact him as I am a bit shy. Has anyone here tried to? Did he respond??

Here's how I roll:

I ignore what the band, Willie, Paul, Steve Lillywhite, Gugi, Dik Evans, Gavin, Brian Eno, et al have to say about anything and everything.

I do this because one can get disappointed only so many times before waking up to the reality of the situation. I also do this because, inevitably, one day they'll rehearse or hint at revisiting ASOH and fail to actually play it....and this would crush the fanboy in me.

Mercy is not going to get played Live. But if it does, I'll be very fucking happy to have been wrong.

:up:

ever since i heard Mercy i've been saying it would phenomenal live.

ES didn't work live and it can safely stay on the bench.

Something more energetic over the two Passengers s-l-o-w songs could be done. But then again the forum goes wild when Your blue room and Drowning man got rehearsed, yet at the same time demands more rocking songs. :shrug: I also hope less NLOTH is just a phase, or that at least all the songs on the EP Adam talked about are coming...

I don't think this bit means "zomg they will definitely play Mercy". It just means it's on Willie's mind, and I assume he mentioned it to the band (he talks about Tryin' and that one was rehearsed so ...) - and I'd like to think he wouldn't do this in a funny "hurr hurr Mercy is coming..not!" way.

I haven't been to any of the last three shows, but I can't imagine that HMTMKMKM is tanking. Anyone who was 10 years old and up remembers that song and the terrible Batman flick that went with it. Half of us had the soundtrack so that we could get that song and Seal's "Kiss From a Rose." :reject: And it's got some bite to it. While I don't expect people to have a communal orgasm like that which occurs during Streets, nor will they pogo like during Elevation or others, I can't really see a cold reception. :shrug:
well, at least from where we were the reaction to the song in Hanover was about zero
when comparing it to the reaction UV got in Amsterdam last year it was letdown

Good Lord, Miss Sarajevo went over people's heads? I guess they have their copies of U218 to comfort them in their time of befuddlement.
In a little while, Moment of Surrender, Unforgettable Fire etc also won't make any U2 greatest hits compilation
but people somehow seemed less bored by those
though perhaps it was different elsewhere in the stadium :shrug:

Let's remember people Mercy will be re-recorded like Winter was. So many people became divided...personally i'm expecting a slower version, maybe something just Bono and The Edge can play. I don't want this...but we have to remember who we are talking about. The experimintal days are over in my opinion :sad:

If they ever release Mercy I hope they don't change it too much. They'd probably just make it worse.

I think though, that for the fans of Mercy, it is cool that the song is clearly on the minds of the band/people in bands camp.

If Mercy makes the next album/EP, I'd be a happy camper. Throw the other 3 new songs in there, and it might be a nice start to a pretty good album.

Live-wise, I'm not sure how that'd come across. I'd love seeing TTTYAATW live though.

Are we basing this interpretation that HMTMKMKM or any other song aren't working simply on bootlegs and youtube videos? How many of us have actually been to these last three shows?

No disrespect to anyone at all, but bootlegs, youtube videos, and even one or two single-person experiences are piss-poor means to judge the reception of a song or a full concert.

Agreed. I was there at the front row for the first three shows and I absolutely loved HMTMKMKM. The performances, the showtime intro, the jacket and microphone. It worked really well. People I talked to afterwards all thought it was amazing. I watched the youtube videos when I got back home and you just can't compare it to actually being there. Edge had the biggest smile on his face after they finished the song in Frankfurt when he looked at the crowd. :)

The problem with reliving Mercy is that they're clearly still interested in tinkering with Winter, and the earlier version of Winter is too similar to Mercy for them to coexist on official releases.

Winter and Mercy are similar?

Granted I've only listed to Winter just a few times, but I know Mercy pretty well and don't remember that connection.

I read the blog entry again, and maybe I was smoking crack yesterday or something, because I have no other explanation as to where I got the whole "are you sure he's not just being funny" thing.

It really doesn't read like that. But I don't also know that it lends itself to the "maybe they're working on it" theory, either. More like "how about something unreleased? There's always Mercy."

Whatevs. I smoke crack, apparently.

Granted I've only listed to Winter just a few times, but I know Mercy pretty well and don't remember that connection.

Listen to the guitar on the Linear version of Winter, particularly during the verses, there's a distinct similarity.

What pisses me off is that Willie suggests the band isn't playing certain songs (i.e. TTTYAATW) because they are yet to get the "production elements" right....

Don't get me wrong, I love big-scale productions like ZooTV, 360, etc....but the production should never get in the way of the music to this extent...like someone said earlier in this thread...just play the fucking songs!

Mercy would sound spectacular live though...although we probably aren't going to hear it, this is still encouraging. :shrug:

yeah, i think they tend to obsess too much about things. just play the music. as much as i hate when bono messes up the lyrics or changes them, i'd rather them play the song than not at all.

What pisses me off is that Willie suggests the band isn't playing certain songs (i.e. TTTYAATW) because they are yet to get the "production elements" right....

Don't get me wrong, I love big-scale productions like ZooTV, 360, etc....but the production should never get in the way of the music to this extent...like someone said earlier in this thread...just play the fucking songs!

Mercy would sound spectacular live though...although we probably aren't going to hear it, this is still encouraging. :shrug:

When the 2009 leg of the tour ended, I was so hoping that although, a whole year had to pass by for the boys to play again, it would be a whole year that Willie and the crew could use (day in and day out), to tweak the "production elements" for all possible songs of their catalogue (those songs that may be 360 degrees appropriate, obviously), ...inclusively, they had an extra month to buff things up (i.e. bono's injury), which granted, was not of their choosing, but come on guys, ...so yes, there are changes this time around, plenty of improvement, but the lack of material for "production elements" purposes, should never be a reason not to be playing all sorts of songs! The Fly, Gone, and/or a full version of Discotheque perhaps! ...oh and let me stop there...(I have my own thoughts on the similarities in "production elements" for UV and HMTMKMKM...and I think yall can read into my comment...)

agreed-i think maybe the only similarity is that you could consider them both mid-tempo other than that...totally different.

Though I realize there's about a 0.0000000000000000001% chance of it ever being played, allow me to say that UV and/or HMTM... > Mercy > MOS would be just about the best encore imaginable.

They though about opening with HMTMKMKM, another from willies diary:

Turin. Production rehearsals.

Rabbits. Spent the morning working on sound sequences with Declan, which is my new favourite thing to do. We're still working on opening sequences and in the past have found it's useful to have three options to look at (we love a three-cornered contest). There was a suggestion last night that 'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me' might be a contender for a radical new opening to the show, so Dec had sent for the original multi-track recording of the piece. There are lots of mad violins hidden away in the recording that reminded me of a George Crumb composition called 'Black Angels', written (I think) in response to the Vietnam War. I have a recording of it being performed by the Kronos Quartet, so dug it out and gave it to Dec. The combination of the two crazed string-instrument attacks was absolutely startling, particularly when played over the giant 360 sound system and set up a wonderfully unhinged atmosphere for 'Hold Me, Thrill Me'.

This gave us our third option, the other two being Beautiful Day coming out of Elbow's 'One Day Like This' and the complete wildcard of opening with Moment of Surrender, coming out of 'Soon', the track formerly known as 'Kingdom of Your Love' that preceded Breathe in last year's show.

The band rolled in during the late afternoon and we tried each of these several times over. All three approaches worked, though in very different ways so, depending on what happens with the rest of the set list, we can keep them all in the can for the time being.

Given that we're in Italy it also seemed like a no-brainer to put Miss Sarajevo in the show, at least for opening night. The biggest challenge we have now is that the show is as long as it can comfortably be - beyond 2hrs 15mins it starts to become a bit of a marathon for both band and audience, plus the reality of noise curfews means that a longer show has to start earlier rather than end later. Consequently, for every new song that goes in, something has to come out and this has proved to be exceptionally difficult. There are other factors too, like the production elements and how they hang together. The opening of the screen is obviously the biggest production moment and it was strangely tough to find a song that could hold its own in the presence of such a jaw-dropping physical event. Unforgettable Fire has proven to be perfect for this moment, though we have tried it with other songs. I'd thought that the end of Until the End of the World would be a suitably cataclysmic moment to open the screen but in reality it just didn't feel right. Tonight we tried playing Miss Sarajevo with screen opening but again (to my mind) it felt wrong as the 'gag' for this song is Bono's extraordinary operatic moment. To do it whilst a great big machine is opening overhead just looked a bit silly. Tonight ended up being a little inconclusive, but we'll keep experimenting.

The fun event of the evening was the band playing Glastonbury on stage for the first time and it sounded humungous over the 360 sound system. I hadn't been 100per cent on board with this song before now, but tonight kicked it to touch quite convincingly.

Once everyone had gone home, Team Front-of-House stayed behind after school to do some more programming. Tonight we took on Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, which turned out to be a lot of fun. Being the trashy glam thing that it is, we were able to pull out the stops a little with mirrorballs, yellow searchlight 'ballyhoo' and other suitably non-subtle effects.

Around midnight I checked YouTube, just out of interest, and there it was - already there was a recording of Glastonbury on line. The music was pretty muddy but the vocal, melody and lyric were absolutely crystal clear. What an awesomely insane world we live in. Big Brother could only dream of this level of surveillance

I thought they were going to open with it. If not that, maybe even something like 'Even Better than the Real Thing'. I still can't get my head around Beautiful Day opening the set...it's 2010!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom