Wide Awake in Europe Discussion only NO REQUESTS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pop over there now and again. And don't post that much, no matter what our special banned friend kept saying!
He was banned? I mean, I'm not shocked, but, still...:lmao:
Also, welcome to the forums, miami66! We're not all crazy, I promise. :hi5:

Oh well, it was an interesting read. However, you are awesome Cori. :up:

I have always like GG's bluntness. I also like her new sig!:lol:

The issue isn't selling one's own copy on eBay. To address Kevin### from before, selling your own copy of anything is fine any time. Sure, all ten copies of WAIE that his guy got are his "own"---he paid for them with his own money, fine. The issue, to me, is that we're talking about something that is produced in extremely limited supply that honest fans are trying so hard to get through honest channels....and this dude grabbed a huge chunk of a store's entire stock through shady dealings, thus robbing some honest fans of getting their own in an honest way (imagine showing up to that store tomorrow only to find it's been cleared out by friends of the store owner), and then decided to make a profit off of it. The guy's personal qualities aside, I think the action in and of itself is a dick move. I have no beef with people who want to spend as much of their money as they want on it on eBay. And if he obtained his copy through legit means and decided to sell his only copy for a profit, that's fine. But the action that took place, to me, was just plain sketchy and robbed an honest fan out of an honest chance to get an honest copy at face value, as the spirit of the event and friendly fandom imply.

I think it's a fairly legitimate argument. If anyone disagrees, so be it, we're all allowed our opinions. I'll leave it at that; the whole damn thing has been blown up more than it needs to be.

In other news----Yes, Mercy sounds fantastic!! :D

fair enough... I still don't see the problem with him making money, they are his copies and he can do what he pleases with them. The way it looks is he gave 8 fans a copy, kept one for himself, and put another one up for sale at 99 Cents. He can feel like whatever he wants to, don't let it bother you GG. You have yours coming from VVinyl just like me so just Relax (don't do it, when you go to it, Relax) ok?
Technically he didn't "give" them, he sold them for face value. Sure he can do whatever the hell he wants with his copies, and does rightfully so. But I also can disagree with that, because I think it's wrong to sell something so high in demand for a low price WHILE you claim you're being an awesome U2 fan and so incredibly awesome for giving us a chance to buy this thing for x10 the price on ebay. That is where he rubbed me the wrong way, NOT the part where he was selling it.

Actually, I'm quite relaxed. I know he'll be dissapointed to find out that I"m not gonna lose sleep over his cute little rant, nor am I gonna cry. Well I could try reading it again and laugh until I do I guess...

You're a girl? If so I can be your friend, too! :wink:

:)

You really are this forums new manwhore now Carlos has dissapeared! :wink:

My take on it is that of course there are always limited releases that people are going to want, and other people are going to have, and they do show up on eBay. However, those transactions usually happen after said items have gone to market and can no longer be obtained through normal means. Tickets, rare 45s, etc etc.

This move by this guy, however, is ahead of the release and so thus to me stinks of hoarding so that the proper release channels can't take their natural course. I know it's a fine distinction, ie he could have just waited, bought up 10 and then listed them a week from now when they were all sold out, but I think it's still a worthwhile one to make. It's a bit different from selling your rare copy of U2-3 years later, the way I see it.

Just my take.

My only issue about this whole thing really was about his justification. One he felt he had to get across. Seriously though, whatever. Sell what you wish, when you wish. You don't owe anyone anything in terms of justification. Just don't think that because you're so awesome in helping 8 folks out and letting people know it, it gives you a "free pass", in terms of reputation, to sell something prior to street date. Again, he didn't owe anyone any sort of justification here, but he chose to say that he was justified by his charity. Really?

The issue isn't selling one's own copy on eBay. To address Kevin### from before, selling your own copy of anything is fine any time. Sure, all ten copies of WAIE that his guy got are his "own"---he paid for them with his own money, fine. The issue, to me, is that we're talking about something that is produced in extremely limited supply that honest fans are trying so hard to get through honest channels....and this dude grabbed a huge chunk of a store's entire stock through shady dealings, thus robbing some honest fans of getting their own in an honest way (imagine showing up to that store tomorrow only to find it's been cleared out by friends of the store owner), and then decided to make a profit off of it. The guy's personal qualities aside, I think the action in and of itself is a dick move. I have no beef with people who want to spend as much of their money as they want on it on eBay. And if he obtained his copy through legit means and decided to sell his only copy for a profit, that's fine. But the action that took place, to me, was just plain sketchy and robbed an honest fan out of an honest chance to get an honest copy at face value, as the spirit of the event and friendly fandom imply.

I think it's a fairly legitimate argument. If anyone disagrees, so be it, we're all allowed our opinions. I'll leave it at that; the whole damn thing has been blown up more than it needs to be.

My take on it is that of course there are always limited releases that people are going to want, and other people are going to have, and they do show up on eBay. However, those transactions usually happen after said items have gone to market and can no longer be obtained through normal means. Tickets, rare 45s, etc etc.

This move by this guy, however, is ahead of the release and so thus to me stinks of hoarding so that the proper release channels can't take their natural course. I know it's a fine distinction, ie he could have just waited, bought up 10 and then listed them a week from now when they were all sold out, but I think it's still a worthwhile one to make. It's a bit different from selling your rare copy of U2-3 years later, the way I see it.

Just my take.

Very well said, both of you. :up:

Annnnd now I'm dropping this, and going back to freaking out about getting a copy Friday. :panic: :wink:

I'm not saying anything else on this either. Sorry.

To EVERYONE in the States, have a great Thanksgiving. Best of luck for the hunters tomorrow. I wish you well. :hug:

Mercy is beautiful! :heart:

Far be it from me to take the thread on a tangent - but I'm listening to Wide Awake in Europe - It's awesome! :)

I think a lot of casual fans/non-fans would be really surprised if they actually heard this one!

Far be it from me to take the thread on a tangent - but I'm listening to Wide Awake in Europe - It's awesome! :)

I think a lot of casual fans/non-fans would be really surprised if they actually heard this one!
Please, tell us how Mercy sounds! :wave:

Well, I just have the MP3s, but I think it sounds great! Some of the lyrics take some figuring out, but that gives it that impromptu feeling that U2 has always tried to convey.

It's a GREAT EP. I'd say the best since POPHEART.

Just my take.

Good replies people and I totally agree with you both. Sometimes it's too easy when people see ebay mentioned and someone selling for a 'profit' to think they are scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom