When a man is interested in you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

:up:

I guess that's what many people find it hard to do... to just go for it and ask someone out without giving a rat's ass about the outcome!

Yeah, but suppose you get turned down. Then what. You'll feel like a total :reject: loser.

No risk = no reward. If you don't ask, whether you're a guy or a girl, you're missing out on wonderful possibilities by letting the opportunity pass. Don't wait and expect the other person to make the move, what if they're just as hesitant about it as you? Then both of you will be in agony for, potentially, months, pining needlessly about it.

Anyway. My girlfriend and I met at school in first year, we were in the same history class with one another all year, we spent probably november-christmas break, and january-march eyeing each other from across the lecture hall. When we finally got to talking, it turned out that we had absolutely everything in common, so we watched U2 in Boston and The Song Remains the Same the next afternoon. It wasn't until after we had kissed each other for the first time that we asked 'so... I guess we're "going out" now, or whatever'. In fact, due to crazy scheduling, we were together for about 3 weeks before we actually 'went out on a date' or whatever. Been together ever since, anyway, a year and 10 months - which would be something like two and a half years if either of us had actually bothered to come within 5 feet of each other and say 'hi' during that time. I'm very lucky to have not missed the boat, so to speak.

Windmilllane said:

Yeah, but suppose you get turned down. Then what. You'll feel like a total :reject: loser.

see i've never felt that.
yes if you get turned down it hurts, but I've never found it embarrassing or felt like a loser afterwards because I dont think its anything to be embarrassed of.
sure when you're 14 people will laugh at you, but I like to think as adults we're beyond the childish behaviour of thinking it stupid and funny when someone likes someone else.

And besides, is feeling like a loser for a few days really that bad? as bono_man2002 said, you'll get over it.
personlly i think the possibility of someone saying yes and liking you back far outways the awkwardness and pain of being turned down

digsy said:

see i've never felt that.
yes if you get turned down it hurts, but I've never found it embarrassing or felt like a loser afterwards because I dont think its anything to be embarrassed of.
sure when you're 14 people will laugh at you, but I like to think as adults we're beyond the childish behaviour of thinking it stupid and funny when someone likes someone else.

:yes:

when I'm interested in someone it is better (for me) to act slow but safe. I don't build castles in the clouds, I approach to that person, without any rush, and I see what happens, if he doesn't like me, that's ok, it doesn't mean that i'm ugly or stupid. I feel bad for about 2 hours and I move on :shrug:

Last edited:
Muggsy said:

:yes:

when I'm interested in someone it is better (for me) to act slow but safe. I don't build castles in the clouds, I approach to that person, without any rush, and I see what happens, if he doesn't like me, that's ok, it doesn't mean that i'm ugly or stupid. I feel bad for about 2 hours and I move on :shrug:

yep, and thats exactly how it should work, which is fine.
whats happening to me now though is, having made my interest clear enough, i'm not getting a clear response back and instead i'm just getting strung along.
rejection i can handle, its this damned mixed signal stuff taht does my head in!

digsy said:

whats happening to me now though is, having made my interest clear enough, i'm not getting a clear response back and instead i'm just getting strung along.
rejection i can handle, its this damned mixed signal stuff taht does my head in!

Rejection isn't half as bas as mixed signals and not knowing. I totally agree. I mean, who can read minds here? :wink:

Since I was 10 years old, I have had a lot of crushes on girls, and I never had the guts to go up to them to tell them how I feel, only because I have no self-esteem.

:sad:

I have so much regret.

Muggsy said:
don't be regret, just act!!!

Looking back, I was just too scared to approach them. I was a kid. Even this one girl that I like right now, I am scared to approach her.

I really need confidence. But how do I become confident?

VintagePunk said:
It's been my experience that if a man is interested in you, he will go for it and ask you out.
From a majority of guys I know across the dating spectrum (as far as being good with the ladies), the general consensus is we're scared shitless of the female sex. More specifically making the first move.

I asked my girlfriend of a months at the time, if her dad worked at a Juice Factory? She looked at me, and was furious because I should have known her dad was a Pastor. I said, because she looks Very Fine. =) Whew...

Last edited:
digsy said:

Maybe he needs some time? Because he is unsure if he really wants more than a flirt?

Or he´s not only interested in you?

Or he wants only you but he´s playing it cool?

...and, can´t you just say "hey man I have a crush on you" and then see what he replies?

:lol:

yeah i'll give that a try next time!
nah, i'm gonna leave it for now, i got myself a bit too worked up about it a bit too quickly. i'm gonna chill and take a step back - i'm going away this weekend so i'm sure i can find some distractions :wink:

Why is it always up to the guy to say where the relationship is going or if there is even going to be one?? If I ask a guy out, I am desperate. How can guy stell if a woman is desperate or not? What do men see in a woman that turns them on?? Do men like natural women or the Paris Hilton type? I am taking an eating disorder addiction class and we were getting up in class showing pictures of advertisements and just picutres of what women look like today. I got up an dshowed the cover of People magazine with Linsay Lohan on the cover. She is sooooooo skinny and anorexic looking. There is this nice lookin gyoung guy in the class, who is an ass. He said she looked hot!!! That is sick and men love women who are sick like that??? He is twisted and apparently has no respect for women at all!! So men, what do you think of Linsay??

mysticchild said:
Do men like natural women or the Paris Hilton type?

Well I am not attracted by Paris Hilton. She´s just too damn stupid and I don´t like her face. But I can´t speak for other representatives of my species..

Beauty and skinny is nice, but intelligence is a must.

mysticchild said:
Why is it always up to the guy to say where the relationship is going or if there is even going to be one?? If I ask a guy out, I am desperate. How can guy stell if a woman is desperate or not? What do men see in a woman that turns them on?? Do men like natural women or the Paris Hilton type? I am taking an eating disorder addiction class and we were getting up in class showing pictures of advertisements and just picutres of what women look like today. I got up an dshowed the cover of People magazine with Linsay Lohan on the cover. She is sooooooo skinny and anorexic looking. There is this nice lookin gyoung guy in the class, who is an ass. He said she looked hot!!! That is sick and men love women who are sick like that??? He is twisted and apparently has no respect for women at all!! So men, what do you think of Linsay??

I think you should worry about what you want, and not what other people think.

Lindsay? I'm not really into celebrities. She's probably attractive, but.... ..... if you hadn't brought it up here, I'd never even have her cross my mind.

And as for that guy in your class...... are you in HS or college? No difference, really. You should, especially from all your statements so far, expect comments like that from people. As in, it shouldn't be a surprise that a guy would say such a thing...

I love this thread. But i have to say (as a girl) i dont believe that is smart to show too much of interest. I am damn sure about it because it is in the human (and male )nature to go after you. Call me conservative but i just feel thats the way it is. I wish that there is child-like innocence when you can show your love/interest without playing f--- games. i dont know how to play it, i dont wanna i dont think so!(a bit of Sonic Youth here):) I really dont know how to survive as a grown-up and i dont wanna grow up in that sense either.:huh:

In many cases I agree, girlhappy. I haven't seen any guys on here 'fess up to enjoying the thrill of the chase, and I know it's a phenomenon that does exist, despite no one owning up. :wink:

oh please, usually only players love "thrill of the chase," and you don't want a player. for most decent guys it's the "anxiety of the chase."

girlhappy said:
Call me conservative but i just feel thats the way it is. I wish that there is child-like innocence when you can show your love/interest without playing f--- games.]

Sometimes I think guys don't think they're playing games but to a girl it might seem like they are. :shrug: Same goes for girls. Communication skills needed on both sides.

Chizip said:
oh please, usually only players love "thrill of the chase," and you don't want a player. for most decent guys it's the "anxiety of the chase."

That's fair.

So how does a female tell the difference between guys who are keeping someone at arm's length - a decent guy due to anxiety and fear, or a player, who really doesn't want to achieve the catch in the first place?

Well, you can ask the guy.

Everybody is so different...... it's hardly an issue of "the male perspective" and "the female perspective". Each person likes to be approached, or chase, in a different way.

For Honor said:
Well, you can ask the guy.

Everybody is so different...... it's hardly an issue of "the male perspective" and "the female perspective". Each person likes to be approached, or chase, in a different way.

:lol: I hardly think you can expect an honest answer! Or an answer at all for that matter.

I'm still looking for that elusive male that is open about the way he feels. :wink: I'm not holding my breath though.

True.... there is a rampant case of dishonesty in many people, males especially.

Good luck with your search.

||||||

Here's a question for the ladies:

If a guy was up front and open about asking you a question about your relationship status or interest in him, how would you react?

Back
Top Bottom