What's your pet peeve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1) Definitely the whole grammar apostrophe thing drives me crazy, and what also drives me NUTS is people who say "I could care less" when it's "I couldn't care less!"

2) People who mosy slowly down the sidewalk and leave you no room to pass them. When I am walking somewhere, I want to GET THERE!!!

3) People who do not clean up after their dogs and feel they are entitled not to.

4) People who open cellophane wrappers at the ballet (or any theatre) and do it as slowly as possible. Along the same vein, people who talk during the movies/theatrical performance, or who kick the back of your seat.

5) People who eat/swallow loudly. I know I am probably guilty of this but I can't hear myself! lol! My husband swallows extremely loudly (imo) and I have to listen to him swallowing his juice every morning as we sit reading the paper and it drives me completely crazy. :banghead:

There! Now I feel better. :)

Last edited:
2) People who mosy slowly down the sidewalk and leave you no room to pass them. When I am walking somewhere, I want to GET THERE!!!
:mad:
That one really gets me.
Freaking packs of tourists walking like snails down the streets when I'm trying to get to the bus stop on time

:censored: :scream:

Mrs. Edge said:
My husband swallows extremely loudly (imo) and I have to listen to him swallowing his juice every morning as we sit reading the paper and it drives me completely crazy. :banghead:

Wow Mrs. Edge, I'm surprised! Mr. The Edge always seems so quiet and polite, I can't believe he is a loud juice swallower *lol*

Mrs. Edge said:

4) People who open cellophane wrappers at the ballet (or any theatre) and do it as slowly as possible. Along the same vein, people who talk during the movies/theatrical performance, or who kick the back of your seat.

GAH! I freaking HATE THAT!!! It's like, I'm going to the movie to WATCH THE MOVIE, not listen to whatever random noise someone decides to make. Unfortunately, I have a few friends that seem to think the lights going down means conversation time is about to begin. :mad:

I also have issues with cashiers who have an attitude. I mean, I worked as a cashier, so I can understand how someone can be stressed or on edge (heh). But some people seem to think because they're putting my batteries in a bag for me they're entitled to be rude and snippy. I always want to say something like: Let me explain the difference between you and me. YOU are being paid to be here. I am PAYING to be here. In light of this, could you maybe NOT be a bitch?? :yell:

This thread is very cathartic. :yes:

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

I also have issues with cashiers who have an attitude. I mean, I worked as a cashier, so I can understand how someone can be stressed or on edge (heh). But some people seem to think because they're putting my batteries in a bag for me they're entitled to be rude and snippy. I always want to say something like: Let me explain the difference between you and me. YOU are being paid to be here. I am PAYING to be here. In light of this, could you maybe NOT be a bitch?? :yell:

It's funny how people don't realize that you are paying their salary. Without you buying batteries, that cranky cashier would not have that job, probably shouldn't have it in the first place.

I am one of those horrible people that complain to management all the time. Well not really complain, but make them aware of something that needs to be changed. Case in point, I think I had Gina's cranky cashier a few months ago...so I complained to the manager....While I was talking to him, she kept looking at me and rolling her eyes...I had to laugh...well maybe if she wasn't so miserable, I would have told her boss something completely different.

One of my peeves is when people attempt to take a stand on an issue in which they know nothing about. :(

A little research goes a long way, man!

bonosloveslave said:

Wow Mrs. Edge, I'm surprised! Mr. The Edge always seems so quiet and polite, I can't believe he is a loud juice swallower *lol*

Believe me, no one was more surprised (and horrified) than I! ;) :laugh:

Mrs. Edge said:
1) Definitely the whole grammar apostrophe thing drives me crazy, and what also drives me NUTS is people who say "I could care less" when it's "I couldn't care less!"

3) People who do not clean up after their dogs and feel they are entitled not to.

5) People who eat/swallow loudly. I know I am probably guilty of this but I can't hear myself! lol! My husband swallows extremely loudly (imo) and I have to listen to him swallowing his juice every morning as we sit reading the paper and it drives me completely crazy. :banghead:

:lol: I literally laughed out loud at ALL of these because I totally agree! Yes, yes, yes, it's "I couldn't care less"!!! I also can't stand when people chew with their mouths open and you can hear that irritating smacking sound...Oh, and the wrappers! I always seem to get stuck in front of people in the theatre who do that! Arg!

OMG, i have TONS:

- wet paper, ew!
- baby wipes used to things other than wiping babies
- purell
- cell phones, in general
- "glass half empty" people
- when people ask me if my name is my real name, DUH! From now on, I'm saying my name is john if they ask me twice
- people not using turn signals, how rude!
- Creed
- sharing a bed with my sister
- sharing a room with my sister
- smoking
- country music
- people that shout at me while I'm riding my bike and don't realize that I CAN'T HEAR THEM (too much wind in the ears)
- when people eat with their mouth open

At my college, every single person has a cellphone, and the extra cool ones have two. In order to be extra cool, you've got to have a really annoying ring and you have to talk on it all the time, no matter if you're driving, talking to a professor, walking around or getting food. My cell is always OFF unless I need it. Gah, that's annoying!

Bad grammar doesn't bother me as much as when people USE CAPS EITHER RANDOMLY OR EXCLUSIVELY. IT GETS A LITTLE ANNOYING DON'T YOU AGREE? Whenever I see a bunch of caps, I think I'm being yelled at.

See?

Bad drivers piss me off, too. I have a special place set aside in my spectrum of frustrated annoyance for those who stop at right turns when the lights red and then they STAY there for like 30 minutes no matter what. Also, people who park bad and people who won't let you get out of parking spots piss me off. It's like "Can't you wait for ten seconds so I can pull out and leave?"

this about sums up my pet peeves:

[describing larry]"slaps on a scowl and shuts his mouth at the first inkling of glad-handing, backslapping, false sincerity, sucking up, ass-kissing, air-kissing, overpraise, fair-weather friendship, freeloading, hyperbole, ligging, flattery, posturing, complement chewing, ego-stroking, bootlicking, cheek-smooching, groveling, pratspeak, toadying, leg-lifting, fame-grubbing, schnoring, idol worship, starfucking, or brown-nosing."

Now that I got that out of the way.... here are a few more of my pet peeves:

• When I find more than one typo in a book. I've found more than five in a book before, and one was a really GLARING error. Give me the freakin' book and pay me to be the editor. Sometimes I wonder if the editor even bothered to read the manuscript.
  • Rude people.
  • Inconsiderate people.
  • People who only care about themselves.
  • People who pick fights/arguments for the sake of pissing me off.
  • People who treat you like you're beneath them. Example: I work at Disneyland - people who come through the front gate where I work think that the lot of us are stupid. What they don't realize is that our department is one of the 'smartest' in Disneyland. Many of the us who work the front gate are degreed. Some of us own restaurants and have a yearly gross income of $2 million dollars. And people think we're dumber than rocks? Oh yeah... try and pull a fast one on me. I dare you.
  • Cigarette smoke. Makes me gag.
  • People who act like they own the freakin' road. There's always someone who is going too slow in front of me and someone who is going too fast behind me. It never ceases to end.
  • People who don't read directions/signs/information before asking their questions. Nothing irritated me more when I worked at a bookstore (a bookstore! where you're coming in to buy READING material!) and our carpet was ripping up because of the door. I made a sign that said "PULL". It didn't work. People pushed the door open. I made another sign, bigger and with color that said "PULL". It still didn't work. I put BOTH signs up. It still didn't work. It amazed me just how many people didn't read the sign on the door and yet they were coming into a bookstore. :rolleyes:
  • I hate people who give me dirty looks because they're trying to scam me and I'm just doing my job. Get a f:censored:ing life.

That pretty much sums it up. I have more, but I'll have to stop here for now. I think the quote describing Larry also describes how I feel about people, too.

Moonie :D

I love this thread, and I'm a little pissed at someone right now

Okay...I'm adding to my list again

*I hate it when people say one thing and do another...
*People that have no empathy
*People that think they are always right, that the world is in black and white, and there are no shades of gray.
*People that think that you are somehow beneath them, because they are "smarter"...they may have brains but they have no streeet sense....
*Elitists (see above)
*People that judge others based on thier own misguided notions.

:yes: Cell phones are so frickin' annoying! I don't think I'd mind them so much if people just used them for emergencies, but NO! They have to walk around campus yelling private conversations into their cell phone!

A couple years ago when I worked at an ice cream parlor this woman came in and ordered an ice cream cone while talking on her cell phone. How rude!

Okay, there's nobody that I need to talk to so desperately that I can't wait until I get back to the privacy of my own home to do it!!! Unless Bono, Larry, Edge, or Adam suddenly had the urge to call me...:lmao:

:yes: Creed....Ugh...I literally shout at the TV and change the channel whenever their new video comes on.

There's something I don't understand...Scott Stapp sings, "Hold me now...I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinkin'...Maybe six feet ain't so far down..." So he's six feet from the edge and ALSO it's a six-foot drop? No, Scott, six feet down really ISN'T that far!!! :lol:

Oh yeah, cell phones in the college are so annoying...people are so friggin' loud...and the damn phones ring in class! :crack: I had this girl sit next to me once who had a phone on "vibrate"...she'd let it sit on the table, and it would make loud, annoying sounds as it vibrated across the table. :crack: :crack:

I've always got my cell in my backpack, but if I ever need to make a call, I go off to a corner somewhere and talk quietly.

Ellen's Prof Peeves:
?When my Visual Culture prof tells me that I don't care if "people get along in the middle east" or if "people die of disease in Africa."
EXCUSE YOU? You don't even know my NAME, don't go making the assumption that just because I'm caucasian and blonde I don't give a shit about anybody but myself.

?When I have to hand in my notes for History because I can VOTE, but I'm not responsible enough to take my own notes.

?When I get those notes back and there is a word underlined with "do you actually use this term?" written next to it. AS A MATTER OF FACT I DO, THANK YOU. :mad:

?When people don't believe me that I am actually "still" undecided. It's halfway through my first semester, geez. No, I was kidding when I said I was undecided, I just really wanted to get crap from you. :rolleyes:

*edited cause eye tyep guuud :D

wertsie said:
Thought of another one...

People who clap when watching TV...It's pointless, loud, and frickin' annoying!!!

How about clapping when reading threads? :D

I have so many! Just a few:

cruelty to animals
people who think being mean is funny
'that's just our policy ma'am'
Overuse of 'ma'am'
Being called 'ma'am'
Overuse and insincerity of 'have a nice day'
overuse of 'excuse me' from people who only pass within 10 feet of you
when functional illiteracy makes it into print, such as newspapers and store sale papers with things like "cake mix's" instead of cake mixes or "can's of soup" instead of cans of soup. Dammit if it's plural and not possessive or a contraction don't use the apostrophe!! So many people make this mistake every day and it's not a big deal but I find it extremely lame when such things make it onto printed things thousands will see. Didn't someone notice it before it went that far? :huh:

Grrrrrrrr! :rant: No sooner did I write it than it happened! The cable company called to say they can't accept my check because it's a temporary because after 3 weeks my bank has still not printed and sent out my new box of checks! I've had the account 9 years and I'm up to #2811 but they treat my counter checks like a fly by night crooked account! I told her I didn't have any real ones, and she said she'd cut me off if I didn't pay in cash today- I told her to call the bank but she goes

"THAT'S JUST OUR POLICY MA'AM!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH:banghead: :scream: :madspit:

I think some businesses might as well get rid of all their customer service people and replace them with a recording that says "I'm sorry that's just our policy" because that's how they get out of helping you or explaining everything anyway :yell:

Everyday when I go to school, there's always a huge-assed line to actually get in to scan. (Yes, that is actually a policy of the 5th most violent school in NYC) So anyway, it's horribly long and you're waiting there like a good girl when 500 latecomers leaving off the bus cuts in front of you. It's aggravating b/c the stupid rent-a-cops just stand there not saying anything and you end up being late. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
((Wishes to impale somebody))

Sevikins said:
Everyday when I go to school, there's always a huge-assed line to actually get in to scan. (Yes, that is actually a policy of the 5th most violent school in NYC)

:huh:
OMG! that is just sad that you all have to deal with scanners just to go to school. sorry that just shocked me and made me very sad to see that people actually have to deal with this. :(

I hate it when I'm doing laundry and someone else in my apartment building takes my clothes out of the dryer after the cycle is done so they can put their clothes in, even though my clothes are still damp and need to be dried for another cycle. I know the dryer cycle takes 45 minutes and I try hard to keep an eye on the clock back in my apartment so I can get back down to the laundry room within a decent interval, but today I must have been 5 minutes late and someone just couldn't wait their turn.

Bono's shades said:
I hate it when I'm doing laundry and someone else in my apartment building takes my clothes out of the dryer after the cycle is done so they can put their clothes in, even though my clothes are still damp and need to be dried for another cycle. I know the dryer cycle takes 45 minutes and I try hard to keep an eye on the clock back in my apartment so I can get back down to the laundry room within a decent interval, but today I must have been 5 minutes late and someone just couldn't wait their turn.

We do that all the time here at school, but a few weeks ago, I went down to gather my dry loads and someone had not only removed them, but FOLDED and SORTED them!!!! MY towels and sheets and underwear....... I don't care if people take out my finished loads, but knowing someone else folded and sorted them really weirded me out!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

We do that all the time here at school, but a few weeks ago, I went down to gather my dry loads and someone had not only removed them, but FOLDED and SORTED them!!!! MY towels and sheets and underwear....... I don't care if people take out my finished loads, but knowing someone else folded and sorted them really weirded me out!

:ohmy: That's slightly creepy...

Back
Top Bottom