What will the 4th single be ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NONE of the songs on the album are good enough to be singles.

Wow aren't you mr happyface. Care to elaborate that one?

I actually don't think Boots was catchy, not as much as Vertigo or WITS(Yes, that was CATCHY! I heard people sing "oh can't you see what love has done" on the streets sometimes). I think Magnificent is gonna be pretty catchy, and Crazy Tonight has the same potential. It's a very uplifting song, people love that.

Breathe could have been a good first single... it's so close to being brilliant... but there's something just off about the studio version. Then they could have released Magnificent (which they will soon hopefully), followed by Moment of Surrender, and Crazy Tonight.

be BRAVE U2.... BE BRAVE.... dont care about the average listener, radio station, etc... release the great songs, and people with good taste will listen. Look at what radiohead did, they didnt care about who liked their singles or whether the average person with no taste in music cared about it, they just wanted to release some great songs hoping that a few people would like it enough to buy the record.

I would want to shock the public if i was U2 and I would release Fez-BB, but other than that, I would release:

magnificent, and moment of surrender.

1. GOYB
2. Magnificent
3. Fez-BB
4. Moment of surrender

:drool:

Wow aren't you mr happyface. Care to elaborate that one?

I actually don't think Boots was catchy, not as much as Vertigo or WITS(Yes, that was CATCHY! I heard people sing "oh can't you see what love has done" on the streets sometimes). I think Magnificent is gonna be pretty catchy, and Crazy Tonight has the same potential. It's a very uplifting song, people love that.

Come on, none of these songs stand up to the really classic U2 singles, and you know it. If those two songs get airplay, they will be quickly forgotten. Meanwhile, radio stations will continue play NYD, Pride, WOWY, ISHFWILF, WTSHNN, Mysterious Ways, One, Beautiful Day, and possibly Vertigo (though I doubt it will live as long as the others I mentioned).

Musically, apart from GOYB, Magnificent stood the best chance of being a U2 single, but Bono's lyrics are empty, self-referential pap that regular people can't relate to (unlike WOWY and One), and the song never reaches the stratosphere. And it's repetitive, and over 5 minutes long, so it will be have to be edited down for a single. If you have to overcome all of that to release a successful single, on your seemingly most single-worthy tune, you are in big trouble.

And as far as Crazy Tonight goes, it's so lightweight that you have to count on its inoffensive, generic blandness appealing to people who don't really 'listen' to music. I'm sure it will fit in well sandwiched in-between Duncan Sheik and Natalie Imbruglia tunes in the background noise at T.G.I. Friday's, or at the hair salon when soccer moms are getting their highlights done and talking about the cute things their kids say. It's just weak material, and it won't hold up.

Come on, none of these songs stand up to the really classic U2 singles, and you know it. If those two songs get airplay, they will be quickly forgotten. Meanwhile, radio stations will continue play NYD, Pride, WOWY, ISHFWILF, WTSHNN, Mysterious Ways, One, Beautiful Day, and possibly Vertigo (though I doubt it will live as long as the others I mentioned).

Musically, apart from GOYB, Magnificent stood the best chance of being a U2 single, but Bono's lyrics are empty, self-referential pap that regular people can't relate to (unlike WOWY and One), and the song never reaches the stratosphere. And it's repetitive, and over 5 minutes long, so it will be have to be edited down for a single. If you have to overcome all of that to release a successful single, on your seemingly most single-worthy tune, you are in big trouble.

And as far as Crazy Tonight goes, it's so lightweight that you have to count on its inoffensive, generic blandness appealing to people who don't really 'listen' to music. I'm sure it will fit in well sandwiched in-between Duncan Sheik and Natalie Imbruglia tunes in the background noise at T.G.I. Friday's, or at the hair salon when soccer moms are getting their highlights done and talking about the cute things their kids say. It's just weak material, and it won't hold up.

To me they do stand out. Musically they are SO MUCH better than the past two albums. The rhythm section plays like they only just learned how to properly play.
Why the hell should they have to cut Magnificent? Ever heard of Paradise by the Dashboard light? All I want is You? The fact that most poppy radio tunes are way under 4 minutes these days doesn't mean it's a requirement for airplay.
And Lightweight tracks actually become hits these days. How else would you explain that Katy Perry gets no. 1 hits and other types like that?

Shame.... I think Magnificent is the weakest song on the album.... Fez-Being Born would be great but wouldnt get much airplay

Back
Top Bottom