What will the 4th single be ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MoS, even if edited right down, will not get played on any radio station in any corner of the western world ever. It’s 2009. Sorry, everything needs to be catchy and shiny and pretty and bouncy and loud and immediate. MoS won’t be a single. They would have a tough time floating a One or Stay in 2009. Sometimes never got played. Stuck didn’t either. I think they’ll stick to the lively ones.

That's one argument. But sometimes what shocks is a whisper....

Yeah, satellite radio for sure. I’m talking about major commercial FM stations though. No way any commercial FM music programmers in the western world in 2009 are going to be slotting something like Moment of Surrender in there between Kelly Clarkson and Kid Rock. The line about the whisper is nice and all, but quality has nothing to do with it.

Probably not. Not when we live in an age where everyone assumes everyone else is a fucking idiot that can't grasp a song with the slightest bit of creativity and dissonance.

Yep. Imagine if "I Still Haven't Found" or "With or Without You" had been written today. Everyone would be saying, "nah, they don't fit the commercial radio structure, would be bad singles," etc. :wink:

U2 needs to remix one of their songs with a verse by Kanye West, and quick!!!

(I'd actually probably enjoy that :reject:)

I blame Reality TV for everything.

I pity you...reality television helped kill off boring sitcoms and cheesy network dramas...they forced everybody else to raise their game. We may now have a ton of shitty cable shows falling around _____ D-lister, but the quality of the dramas/comedies has certainly risen. Would you rather have people voting each other off an island with great production values or some cookie cutter laugh track sitcom?

And as for your post being a snarky joke about the dumbing down of society, the average IQ continues to rise. It's not that people can't handle intellectual content, it's that their attention spans are zilch. Blame cellphones and video games before you start knocking television...

And in U2's case, they're fucked because American radio has become more and more singular and samey sounding. Blame the corporate hacks at the top.

Because they are going to be released on 7'' singles for the collector box. I would lean towards songs with shorter lengths around (4:00) , probably Stand Up Comedy, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight and possibly an edited version of Magnificent.

B-sides probably being alternate studio takes like NLOTH 2

yes but there's no confirmation about which single is next and in what order.

i would say the fact that they're playing breathe at every thing they go to lately is a sign that breathe will be the next single

In the case of MoS, I think it’s more to do with commercial FM stations seemingly being afraid of playing anything at all remotely somber or whatever. Afraid that if it’s not shiny happy poppy catchy fun people will flick the dial to something else. Think about a lot of what passes for ballads on those stations these days. Even those are quite upbeat.

Releasing MoS as a single would fly in the face of every rule about what they should do next, no argument! But releasing GOYB was following every rule and look what happened? I say they take a risk!

I pity you...reality television helped kill off boring sitcoms and cheesy network dramas...they forced everybody else to raise their game. We may now have a ton of shitty cable shows falling around _____ D-lister, but the quality of the dramas/comedies has certainly risen. Would you rather have people voting each other off an island with great production values or some cookie cutter laugh track sitcom?

And as for your post being a snarky joke about the dumbing down of society, the average IQ continues to rise. It's not that people can't handle intellectual content, it's that their attention spans are zilch. Blame cellphones and video games before you start knocking television...

And in U2's case, they're fucked because American radio has become more and more singular and samey sounding. Blame the corporate hacks at the top.

I've touched upon a nerve, I take it...

Reality TV IMO started a grotesque movement called "rise of the amateur" or "rise of mediocrity" where people become famous for being famous, instead of famous for actually doing something.

Reality TV is the WORSE thing to happen to television IMHO.

I'm frankly shocked we found the one person on earth who thinks otherwise!!! :ohmy:

Haha, and also the fact that they were so passionate on the subject. Like, I could understand someone like "yea, i like some reality tv"- but this person went on a flippin' rant, so provoked by my one semi-joking comment: "i blame reality TV"

Haha, hilarious

Haha, and also the fact that they were so passionate on the subject. Like, I could understand someone like "yea, i like some reality tv"- but this person went on a flippin' rant, so provoked by my one semi-joking comment: "i blame reality TV"

Haha, hilarious

I'm betting an actual employee of a reality TV show? It was such a personal reaction!! :ohmy:

breathe and nloth should be no brainers. if the tour is all that it is cracked up to be then it should give them the leverage to play around with the radio a little bit. i like mag and mos but not sure how well they will chart....

Back
Top Bottom