What will the 4th single be ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crazy Tonight. Perfect Pop. It appeals to the rock and pop fans. It'll get the job done.

It won’t win back fans who were lost with the Bomb or people who don't like lightweight pop-rock. In fact, in tandem with Boots it will probably push both groups further away. Bring on Breathe. It’s certainly no great re-invention or anything, but U2 fans of all stripes will like it to some degree and it's catchy/very radio friendly, but has a more interesting edge to it.

It won’t win back fans who were lost with the Bomb or people who don't like lightweight pop-rock. In fact, in tandem with Boots it will probably push both groups further away. Bring on Breathe. It’s certainly no great re-invention or anything, but U2 fans of all stripes will like it to some degree and it's catchy/very radio friendly, but has a more interesting edge to it.

That's probably all true..........

I think releasing only the 'fez' part of fez-BB would be quite interesting:love:

it would just sound like some fuzz on the radio, then every time the radio went fuzzy for real people would think it was u2-then u2 could sue every time the radio plays fuzz saying it was illegal sampling or something-and then Paul M could get his money-then u2 could take a real risk and release MoS because they wouldn't have to worry about a flop 'cause they're wallets would be stuffed

MOS! MOS!

That's a sort of crossroad. I don't think Breathe can make the album breathe for too long, thinking of charts obviously. And I think Crazy Tonight is not that lightweight to be ashamed of the song.

To be honest, none of these potential singles are going to be that big. As much as I hate Vertigo, it was built for it and had the iPod commercial behind it. And Beautiful Day was about as perfect a pop-rock single as has ever been made. NLOTH has neither one of those, or a single song that is a mix of being universaly regarded as that good as well as easily digestible enough that it will make a mark. I just don't think there's one song on here that on it's own is going to totally turn someone over. It's just not that kind of album.

Stand Up Comedy will be too much like Boots with the huge riff imo.

I don't know who makes the decisions regarding singles, but that person needs to be shot.

The first single should have been NLOTH. It is FAR better than boots, and what more, they even say the name of the fucking album in the song in a rather catchy way.

Then, go with the best song that they have done in years. MoS. Yes, in it's full 7:24 glory. Make sure you get an equally beautiful video shot for it. It's the kind of song that would linger in the charts forever, selling Albums by the bucket load.

Songs that sell the most, and spend the longest time in the charts are usually slow burners.

Downbeat quality >>>>>>>> Upbeat crap.

If GOYB was not U2, it would not even have charted. i mean new entry at 12 as the first single from 'the biggest band in the world'??? Puh-lease. It's not a song that would gain new admirers, but conversely it is likely to alienate some loyal fans.

My choice:

1: NLOTH
2: MoS
3: Magnificient
4: Breathe

This is U2. Don't release what fits in with what you think people want to hear. Release what is good, and people will want to hear it. Should be trend setters, not followers.

My missus does not like U2. In fact, she HATES me playing their records all the time. But BECAUSE of MoS, she has been playing the Album in her car for the last few days. She even sang along to the "..that yea---ea---ea--rns to be free, from control" part which SHOCKED me. Oh, btw, her reaction to GOYB when she heard it... "Typical U2 shit." Speaks volumes if you ask me.

I don't know who makes the decisions regarding singles, but that person needs to be shot.

The first single should have been NLOTH. It is FAR better than boots, and what more, they even say the name of the fucking album in the song in a rather catchy way.

Then, go with the best song that they have done in years. MoS. Yes, in it's full 7:24 glory. Make sure you get an equally beautiful video shot for it. It's the kind of song that would linger in the charts forever, selling Albums by the bucket load.

Songs that sell the most, and spend the longest time in the charts are usually slow burners.

Downbeat quality >>>>>>>> Upbeat crap.

If GOYB was not U2, it would not even have charted. i mean new entry at 12 as the first single from 'the biggest band in the world'??? Puh-lease. It's not a song that would gain new admirers, but conversely it is likely to alienate some loyal fans.

My choice:

1: NLOTH
2: MoS
3: Magnificient
4: Breathe

This is U2. Don't release what fits in with what you think people want to hear. Release what is good, and people will want to hear it. Should be trend setters, not followers.

Quoted for being 10000000% right! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Well to be honest, I think it's just as overrated as One.

But that probably means it'll be good single material then. :rolleyes: So yea, why not.

MOS would make a terrible single imo. A decent radio song needs to be catchy and straight to the point with a awesome hook and melody.

MOS would make a terrible single imo. A decent radio song needs to be catchy and straight to the point with a awesome hook and melody.

Yeah, like the very well aired and high charting GOYB you mean?

Or like the extremely straight to the point with awesome hook "Apologize" by One Republic which was downloaded in america 4.3 million times? Or the 22 weeks on the Uk charts, Number 1 Billboard "What Goes Around Comes Around" by JT you mean? Or maybe the sonic overload monster beat that "My Heart Will Go On" is that made sure that it stayed at number one forever?

I totally see where you're coming from with this. You're right. GOYB and IGCIIDGCT will definitely sell this album. Definitely.

Having heard the album for the first time in full only yesterday, it's maybe a little early for me to say. But at the moment I do think Moment of Surrender should be a single. It's a great song, and great songs should be released for the masses. Only occasionally do U2 produce songs which devoted U2-haters might actually appreciate, and I think MoS is the one song on the album that fits into this category. I like ...Crazy Tonight and Magnificent is great, but they are songs which fall into familiar U2 territory. MoS has its own heart beat, and is as close to a One-like song that U2 may ever come up with now. I'm sure with some very careful editing they could cut it down by a couple of minutes, without losing too much of its natural flow, but if not - especially if it's the fourth single - I think U2 should be brave and release the full album version. With an awesome video.

I hope that Crazy tonight is not a single. Get on your boots is bad enough.
My initial reaction to Crazy tonight was, "what the fuck is this? Why on earth put this poppy piece of shit on there - have you no standards?!".

In my head I began to envision bashing Lillywhite about the studio...I was so disappointed.:angry:

After several listens - now don't kill me here - I've become a secret fan of this song. I even admit that I sometimes start the album from that song when I'm in a different mood and want to avoid the beginning.

I can't explain it, I suppose there is a cheesy element to it but I find myself feeling really uplifted by this song and I sing out loud to it, it lacks cynicism I suppose, and in this day and age I don't see this as a problem. And I hate people defining the band, saying what the should do and sound like etc. They can do what they want.

And just for background, this is coming from a fan who found the band when Achtung Baby was released. I love Zooropa, I love The Unforgettable Fire - these are my 3 favourites up until now. I will be slotting NLOTH into the top 4 already - no 1,2 3 or 4 here - just top 4 to suit my different moods at different times. I've been a fan of this band for so long now that I've stopped comparing albums and view each piece of work as a separate entity.

I've already had that weird connection feeling with this album that I haven't felt since Zooropa and have only had it after first listening to UF and AB, that's why I can say firmly, for me, this is top 4 (with War at no. 5:wink:).

I, unlike many others never got into The Joshua Tree 100%. I suppose I missed it when it came out, but with one or two exceptions I think The Joshua tree fades after the fifth song. I could say the same about UF (I wasn't there) but that album just does something for me, I can't explain it.

But I digress, this is not a "what is your favourite album and why" post so, back to the original point.

I think people just think they are too "cool" to like Crazy tonight, fair enough. It might not go down in the legends of lore as their best ever song (subjective argument of course, but that's a debate for another day:wink:) but I just love it and I can see it being a good single choice.

Second single though - Magnificent I suppose - I'm not sure if the previous news is official. But I think it would do well - it would make the "undecided after hearing Boots brigade" take interest, "mmm, interesting - it's not all like Boots after all on that album".

Then Crazy at 3 then number 4? I don't know. I'm not a complete fan of SUC, it's my least favourite on the album (I go in and out of love of this tune) but I could see why it would be a good single.

I'd love it to be Unknown Caller though - my favourite song on the album.

Thanks for listening (reading)! - That post was pure self-indulgence:

To be honest, none of these potential singles are going to be that big. As much as I hate Vertigo, it was built for it and had the iPod commercial behind it. And Beautiful Day was about as perfect a pop-rock single as has ever been made. NLOTH has neither one of those, or a single song that is a mix of being universaly regarded as that good as well as easily digestible enough that it will make a mark. I just don't think there's one song on here that on it's own is going to totally turn someone over. It's just not that kind of album.
Good point - U2 back to being an album band again. Good news, I forgot about that.

First day's sale's went well too - not sure which market this is - UK?? The album outsells all the other top 10 albums put together on the first day of release Music Week - Music Week - Music business magazine - Number one on horizon for U2

Does this need the start of a new thread? Perhaps not, who cares about sales figures?

Yeah, like the very well aired and high charting GOYB you mean?

Or like the extremely straight to the point with awesome hook "Apologize" by One Republic which was downloaded in america 4.3 million times? Or the 22 weeks on the Uk charts, Number 1 Billboard "What Goes Around Comes Around" by JT you mean? Or maybe the sonic overload monster beat that "My Heart Will Go On" is that made sure that it stayed at number one forever?

I totally see where you're coming from with this. You're right. GOYB and IGCIIDGCT will definitely sell this album. Definitely.

I didnt mention GOYB or Crazy Tonight

Apologize 3.28 mins
What Goes Around Comes Around 5.13 mins
My Heart WIll Go On 4.40 mins

If you chop MOS you kill the song, it will no longer be the diamond it is on the album.

I didnt mention GOYB or Crazy Tonight

Apologize 3.28 mins
What Goes Around Comes Around 5.13 mins
My Heart WIll Go On 4.40 mins

If you chop MOS you kill the song, it will no longer be the diamond it is on the album.

You do have a good point there.

I know you didn't mention GOYB or CT, but one was released, and the other probably will be.

However, the Album version of What Goes Around... is much longer. And the video they played VERY regularly was also a lot longer.

The intro for MoS is really quite long, as is the outro. It could easily be played 'in the background' while DJ's talk over the top. The radio edits should be samplers for the singles, and the singles the samplers for the albums. You don't need to hear the whole 7 (or however many) minutes of Hotel California to say "Wow".

Back
Top Bottom