US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah Palin lost. To a Democrat. In Alaska.

As conservatives like to say: let that sink in.

The best part was how the Republicans' attempt to use ranked choice voting to their benefit wound up blowing up in their faces.

But seriously, can this PLEASE be the official end of Sarah Palin's fifteen minutes of fame now once and for all? Please?

As for all the Trump news...on the one hand it's insane and terrifying the amount of stuff this investigation is finding and the depths to which he was willing to go with these documents.

But on the other hand, watching Republicans struggle and squirm as they desperately struggle to find some kind of defense of this is hilariously entertaining. And also, as a certain failed reality TV show host would say, "Sad!" This is the guy the GOP and his supporters want to rally around. This guy, having a total meltdown online, is the one they claimed was a "strong leader" and not a "sensitive snowflake".

Never ceases to amaze.

i'm really enjoying the latest public defense.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1565319387451691008

FBI TOTALLY IS MAKING ME OUT TO BE A MESSY SLOB! WHAT A DISGRACE!! FAKE NEWS!! I TOTALLY KEPT THE STOLEN TOP SECRET DOCUMENTS NEATLY IN A BOX!!! SAD!!!!

You also forgot that one of his top shelf lawyers went on Hannity to also defend Trump against the DOJ's messiness hit job! And in the process revealed that "he had visitors in there all the time!" It's truly like a we are watching a real life VEEP episode, only with far more corruption.

And we already know how neat and tidy Donny is.

FbkiGpyX0AEpffG

Everyone who came into my personal office commented on how neatly i was storing the stolen secrets. They couldn't believe how organized i was at stealing. They were so impressed i let them take pictures and share with their families and friends

even putin commented on how proud he was of me

why people so mean!!!

I obviously am not in a job where I have access to state secrets, but I have had to fill out forms for former employees who are seeking basic level security clearances for new jobs and their whole defense of this thing is comically bad. I had to talk to an investigator for half an hour about a former employee who was pursuing a job where he MIGHT come across documents that require low level clearance.

But, yea, sure.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/co...-mortgage-first-time-buyers-details-rcna45662

The idea behind this is good, but didn't we go down this road before with the sub prime mortgage crisis?

Yeah I guess as long as BoA isn't approving people they shouldn't, then I'm ok with it. And of course not covering U2 songs and changing the lyrics.

Having just gone through the mortgage process, my LO told me that approvals are actually tightening up a lot. Banks (and realtors) don't want to waste their time on risky lenders when the supply is so low.

Yeah I guess as long as BoA isn't approving people they shouldn't, then I'm ok with it. And of course not covering U2 songs and changing the lyrics.

Having just gone through the mortgage process, my LO told me that approvals are actually tightening up a lot. Banks (and realtors) don't want to waste their time on risky lenders when the supply is so low.

sure - now... but just like Clinton's idea of home ownership for all was great in concept, capitalism does at time have other plans - and this screams of the need for proper guardrails.

sure - now... but just like Clinton's idea of home ownership for all was great in concept, capitalism does at time have other plans - and this screams of the need for proper guardrails.

Yep agreed. Maybe I'm old school but I think a down payment is important for home ownership. There's nothing more satisfying than putting down a chunk of money that you worked your ass off to save. I'd rather us focus on keeping rent costs reasonable so the people that want a house have the means to put extra money away.

From what I’ve read about the bill, it does some good things but still leaves a few blind spots for bad characters to take advantage.

So pretty much every bill that has ever passed congress, some good, some bad, can improve.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1565357723868438531?s=21&t=tBb7Wdye-arfS5pv6Sj-pg

I do wonder if the politics were flipped, and these were spouses of liberal justices, or it was Obama , Clinton, etc that were openly breaking the law and trying to subvert democracy, would the wheel of Justice still turn this slow ?

From what I’ve read about the bill, it does some good things but still leaves a few blind spots for bad characters to take advantage.

So pretty much every bill that has ever passed congress, some good, some bad, can improve.

If we all understood the last part of what you said here, so much more would get done in this country.

And that includes both sides of the aisle.

Just because you want change... or NEED change... doesn't mean it needs to be done all at once. Sometimes it makes more sense NOT to do it all at once.

I do wonder if the politics were flipped, and these were spouses of liberal justices, or it was Obama , Clinton, etc that were openly breaking the law and trying to subvert democracy, would the wheel of Justice still turn this slow ?

Absolutely it would. What you’re witnessing is the laughable concept of our judiciary that is “the trust system.” It’s founded upon the concept that one can be impartial.

If we all understood the last part of what you said here, so much more would get done in this country.

And that includes both sides of the aisle.

Just because you want change... or NEED change... doesn't mean it needs to be done all at once. Sometimes it makes more sense NOT to do it all at once.

Yep, that and, sometimes bills are awesome at the time they're signed into law, and then things change and they're no longer awesome. But because that happens, it doesn't always mean that it was a bad bill and we shouldn't use that voting record against someone.

Yep, that and, sometimes bills are awesome at the time they're signed into law, and then things change and they're no longer awesome. But because that happens, it doesn't always mean that it was a bad bill and we shouldn't use that voting record against someone.

100%

we have way way way too much of a "got'cha" society - as if you're not allowed to grow as a person and allow your ideas to morph and change.

there's obviously caveats to that - what exactly did you say/do/vote for, how much time has passed, has your behavior/comments/voting record in the interim period reflected your change in mindset or are you just flip flopping in the wind because you think it helps your chances in november.

don't let perfect be the enemy of good. nobody is perfect, no bill is perfect, no thing is perfect.

100%

we have way way way too much of a "got'cha" society - as if you're not allowed to grow as a person and allow your ideas to morph and change.

there's obviously caveats to that - what exactly did you say/do/vote for, how much time has passed, has your behavior/comments/voting record in the interim period reflected your change in mindset or are you just flip flopping in the wind because you think it helps your chances in november.

don't let perfect be the enemy of good. nobody is perfect, no bill is perfect, no thing is perfect.

This point can easily be circled back to cancel culture. We are supposed to de-platform good people who offer both good and bad things to society. I’m thinking folks like JK Rowling. Or of course I’ve gone on many Elon-the-enigma rants, though he sure has made a concerted effort to be unlikable over the last year.

This point can easily be circled back to cancel culture. We are supposed to de-platform good people who offer both good and bad things to society. I’m thinking folks like JK Rowling. Or of course I’ve gone on many Elon-the-enigma rants, though he sure has made a concerted effort to be unlikable over the last year.

yea. just because some right wing douchebags try to blame cancel culture for all of the ramifications for their misdeeds doesn't mean that it isn't actually an issue that we need to confront as a society.

i read Comey's release about Hillary's emails today... BUT HER EMAILS!... i found this part noteworthy

Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case. Prosecutors necessarily weigh a number of factors before bringing charges. There are obvious considerations, like the strength of the evidence, especially regarding intent. Responsible decisions also consider the context of a person’s actions, and how similar situations have been handled in the past.

In looking back at our investigations into mishandling or removal of classified information, we cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges on these facts. All the cases prosecuted involved some combination of: clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information; or vast quantities of materials exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct; or indications of disloyalty to the United States; or efforts to obstruct justice. We do not see those things here.

Clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information? Check.
Vast quantities of materials exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct? Check.
Efforts to obstruct justice? Check.
Indications of disloyalty to the United States? TBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom