U2.com Subscription Renewal Gift?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny Boy

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-U
I logged into U2.com this morning and got a page prompting me to renew my subscription, which expires this month. The "special gift" they are offering is the same Zoo TV CDs from last year.

Seems like the same thing happened last year when they were offering U2.Communication to resubscribers.

So, has anyone heard any buzz about a new mailout for this year? With no tour likely in the next 12 months, they aren't going to get a lot of takers unless they come up with a decent gift.

Let's face it, the site's exclusive content is not worth a dime, much less the 32 bucks they're asking for renewal.

There hasn't been any official mention of it, but I bet it'll be the audio of the Paris JT gig released on dvd with the deluxe JT re-release.

I still have a few weeks left on mine, so I'm waiting.... Still, last time around they gave you both the old and the new if you resubscribed before the new gift was announced, so maybe they'll do that again.

Ah, you think it'll be the Paris show?

I was leaning towards the complete Popmart concert from Mexico that was released earlier on DVD. But I still have a couple of months left on mine so I'll see if anything changes.

Joey788 said:
Ah, you think it'll be the Paris show?

I was leaning towards the complete Popmart concert from Mexico that was released earlier on DVD. But I still have a couple of months left on mine so I'll see if anything changes.

Nah, I think they'll skip over PopMart Mexico, as 2/3 of the show was already released as the 2000 fan club gift (Hasta La Vista, Baby). My money's on JT Paris. :yes:

Slapnutz said:
Aside from these 'freebies', is U2.com worth subscribing to?

yeah, if you want an awesome @U2.com email address that you can't use because it gets more SPAM than a hotmail account!

(and they won't let you forward it which would solve the problem!)

Slapnutz said:
Aside from these 'freebies', is U2.com worth subscribing to?

Besides the aforementioned perks, it's totally worth subscribing to if you want:

- Access to exclusive news that will be reposted on Interference and elsewhere within seconds of going on U2.com
- Access to videos and other content that you can already find on the Internet
- Access to an ugly messageboard that's not very userfriendly
- To waste your money because you really have nothing better to do with it, like give it to charity or buy a couple of good books or see a few movies or something.

Honestly, you'd probably get more satisfaction if you simply took a couple of $20 notes from your wallet and set fire to them.

According to atu2.com this is the email circling:

Your U2.com subscription account is set to expire in 30 days. If you resubscribe within this period, you qualify for a 20% discount on your annual subscription (you pay $32 instead of $40) and we automatically send you a copy of the double-disc set, a copy of ZOO2LIVE - U2 LIVE IN SYDNEY, a double CD concert special featuring 24 tracks and two hours of music recorded in Sydney on the ZOO TV Tour. Plus: you continue to get members-only access to all the great content on the site including exclusive video, concert reviews, your personalized e-mail account and Zootopia.

:huh:

U2girl said:
According to atu2.com this is the email circling:

Your U2.com subscription account is set to expire in 30 days. If you resubscribe within this period, you qualify for a 20% discount on your annual subscription (you pay $32 instead of $40) and we automatically send you a copy of the double-disc set, a copy of ZOO2LIVE - U2 LIVE IN SYDNEY, a double CD concert special featuring 24 tracks and two hours of music recorded in Sydney on the ZOO TV Tour. Plus: you continue to get members-only access to all the great content on the site including exclusive video, concert reviews, your personalized e-mail account and Zootopia.

:huh:

This is exactly what happened last year. For whatever reason they just can't get their act together and get the subscription gift ready in time for early renewal people. Whoever is responsible for this type of thing at that site is a total incompetant.

Also, isn't what you quote from Atu2 what the original poster here said in the first place. I don't think Atu2 brought anything new to the table. :huh:

Last edited:
That's the same as happened last time with the U2.Communication cd. However....about two weeks later once the next gift was decided, we got an email saying that you'd get a second copy of U2.Communication AND the ZooSydney disc. Not too bad.

Yeah, u2.com sucks in a lot of ways. But you can't really blame them for saying you'd get the old gift. People sign up all throughout the year, not just when a new gift is announced. So, since my subscription tends to expire about 3-4 weeks before the next gift is usually announced, I can't expect them to tell me I'll get a gift they haven't announced--just the same as if my subscription expired 8 or 12 or 30 weeks before the gift is announced. :shrug:

That said, they will always suck to me until they realize that Running To Stand Still is NOT Running To Standstill. :wink:

Last year I used my U2.com store coupon to get a discount off quite a few things, so between that and the CDs I feel like I got my money's worth. Zootopia is an embarrassment, though, in comparison to this board. If they offer CDs I wouldn't mind having, I'll probably resubscribe. I'm thinking about using this year's coupon toward a lithograph.

there's a thread on u2.com about this year's gift. Can anyone figure this out.

_ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _
/ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _

Words that fit are Elevation, Tour, U2, CD, Slane, Castle, Live, 2001.

The only other hint is that one of the mods has put various youtube clips from slane castle on his profile and a banner saying Time to Renew.

For sure it's not Popmart, he's pretty much said that, so I'm assuming now its probably the Slane Castle audio CD.

Wow, audio from a gig we already own. Value for money, eh. :|

If these dimwits had a clue, they'd release stuff we don't already have. As much as I hated U2 Communication, it at least had a minority of songs that weren't released in another form. Would it kill them to give fans something they'd really appreciate like audio of 18 November 1989 or 11 June 1992 or one of the other many shows we know U2 has in great audio quality?

Hey if you renew now and they send you another copy of ZooTV there's an even better chance of you actually receiving it. If you got it the first time, it's probably not worth it though...

~A.j.~

Just throwing this out there: I've been a subscriber since the beginning of U2.com and a Prop subscriber before that. What are the chances of them saying something like "dedicated" fans who have always been a subscriber without any lapses will get a presale code for tickets to the next tour (whenever that is)?. They gave Prop subscribers a special pre-sale back when the whole fiasco happened in 2004, maybe they will give the continued subscribers a chance at a pre-sale. I've always thought staying in the cue with the subscription seemed like a good idea in regards to any sort of pre-sale opportunities based on the Prop situation. Here are the words from the U2.com FAQ:

At present, new subscribers do not receive pre-sale ticket codes

This to me leaves them open to offer the pre-sale codes in the future to subscribers. What gets my attention on this are two things; the words "at present" and "new subscribers".
"At present" leaves it open to having them change their minds when a tour happens.
'"New subscribers" to me could read folks who have just signed up and not have been a continuous paid subscriber from the beginning.

I do trust that U2 takes care of their fans. You can't please everyone but that would be very difficult considering how many millions of fans they have.

bearded morrison said:
Just throwing this out there: I've been a subscriber since the beginning of U2.com and a Prop subscriber before that. What are the chances of them saying something like "dedicated" fans who have always been a subscriber without any lapses will get a presale code for tickets to the next tour (whenever that is)?. They gave Prop subscribers a special pre-sale back when the whole fiasco happened in 2004, maybe they will give the continued subscribers a chance at a pre-sale. I've always thought staying in the cue with the subscription seemed like a good idea in regards to any sort of pre-sale opportunities based on the Prop situation. Here are the words from the U2.com FAQ:

This to me leaves them open to offer the pre-sale codes in the future to subscribers. What gets my attention on this are two things; the words "at present" and "new subscribers".
"At present" leaves it open to having them change their minds when a tour happens.
'"New subscribers" to me could read folks who have just signed up and not have been a continuous paid subscriber from the beginning.

I do trust that U2 takes care of their fans. You can't please everyone but that would be very difficult considering how many millions of fans they have.

I have the same impression.

As pitiful as I think U2.com is and as much as I feel the band should be ashamed for having such a lackluster site/fan club, I probably will end up renewing regardless of what the gift is just because I want to remain in the queue for presales whenever they will happen again. I was lucky enough to get to do two presales last time because I was a Propaganda member prior to signing up with U2.com.

dsmith2904 said:
As pitiful as I think U2.com is and as much as I feel the band should be ashamed for having such a lackluster site/fan club, I probably will end up renewing regardless of what the gift is just because I want to remain in the queue for presales whenever they will happen again. I was lucky enough to get to do two presales last time because I was a Propaganda member prior to signing up with U2.com.

I'm hoping that the ticket brokers will give up all those memberships inbetween these tours. My membership number and continued renewal is the only thing U2 have to determine that I'm a fan. Hopefully, this is what is going to count on the next tour with presales.

People still subscribe to u2.com? :scratch:

Axver said:
Besides the aforementioned perks, it's totally worth subscribing to if you want:

- Access to exclusive news that will be reposted on Interference and elsewhere within seconds of going on U2.com
- Access to videos and other content that you can already find on the Internet
- Access to an ugly messageboard that's not very userfriendly
- To waste your money because you really have nothing better to do with it, like give it to charity or buy a couple of good books or see a few movies or something.

Honestly, you'd probably get more satisfaction if you simply took a couple of $20 notes from your wallet and set fire to them.

:lmao:!!!

I renewed. It isn't that bad. I would like to see more merchandise in the U2 shop.

That's exactly why I renewed. Given the recent fiasco Bruce Springsteen fans went through trying to get presale tix I would suspect that our loyal $$$ through U2.com may serve us well. Maybe they'll go back to the old mail method. I know that the next tour go-round my kids may be old enough to join me.

My 8 year old keeps asking me when the U2 3D is coming out, and my 9 year old just requested to put more U2 on her iPod shuffle.

drumkeeran said:
Given the recent fiasco Bruce Springsteen fans went through trying to get presale tix

Mmm. Overpaid rock stars messing with their fanbase.

bearded morrison said:

I do believe that U2 care about their fans, but they (ie the band members) have so many layers of management and staff between them and us that I suspect there's very little direct involvement in business decisions. I'm sure that Principle explain what's going to happen, but possibly couched in language that makes things sound more utopian than they actually are. For example, Larry's direct action last time only seemed to come about because of all the negative publicity U2 received in the mass media, rather than him being directly informed of events from within the organisation. Under normal circumstances, unless they take a direct interest, I expect that the band members are carefully insulated from the business side of things.

I have a different interpretation of this sentence from the U2.com FAQ:

"At present, new subscribers do not receive pre-sale ticket codes"

I think the key words here are the first two. It doesn't happen "at present" simply because there's no touring on the horizon. Remember, at present, existing subscribers don't receive presale ticket codes either, do they? Bearing in mind the fiasco last time, U2.com have to be very careful what they say about presales, and all they're doing with this FAQ is stating explicitly that there's no point in signing up if your only intention is to participate in a presale. If a new album appears this time next year, and if there's a likelihood of touring in 2009, then I expect that new and existing subscribers will all be given the opportunity to take part in presales, and chaos will predictably follow shortly afterwards. After all, U2 care so much about their fans that they level the playing field, giving the guy (or scalper) who signs up in August 2008 pretty much the same opportunity as the person who joined Propaganda 20+ years ago.

As for the gift, it definitely needs to be something better than the audio from a commercially available DVD. I mean, it's not exactly difficult to rip the audio from a DVD, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who's done this already! Why not forget about audio-visual laziness entirely and offer something that can't be done already, such as an exclusive t-shirt? (Since I have no imagination, I can't think of anything more original than this right now.)

I see your point Morgoth and it's a good one. It certainly is a question of semantics when it comes to wording the statement of pre-sale tickets. But that's actually a good thing. It gives them room to adapt to the situation. At least it doesn't say "pre-sale codes will not be given" or something like that. U2 is actually fairly involved in their business affairs. The four plus Paul pretty much are Principle Managment. They have a staff around them, (which includes Steve Matthews, I'll address him in a minute) but the fab five make the final decisions on everything. That's why it takes them forever to do or release anything. They are perfectionists to a fault. And that's why they have achieved the unprecidented status they have as successful rock stars.
Now as far as Steve Matthews is concerned, he took over Sheila Roche's position of managing day to day activities. He started just before HTDAAB was released. I don't pretend to know how he runs things but things ran pretty well under Sheila and then he takes over and we get the problems with the ticket sales, we lose Prop and get an official website appears to run as a highly polished fan site (no offence to Interference, which has more info faster then U2.com could ever have). I don't know if he is still involved with the organization but it does seem U2 has made a slight turn towards a more commercial path. Not a bad thing necessarily, just a little more "businsess" then in the past. But I digress.

Back
Top Bottom