U2- a soundtrack to one's life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SYCMIOYO I can't believe he had a dysfunctional relationship w/his dad, and I with my mom, he says exactly what I feel. I would love to speak to him about it.

Kite - strange as it sounds, I want this played at my funeral!!!!

All That You Can't Leave Behind - Just hits a chord w/me.

Stuck in a Moment - This song actually helped me through depression, and when I get gloomy. I also tell my kids when they get sad. this time shall pass....

All I Want Is You - My relationship w/my husband...high school sweethearts like Bono & Ali.

Acrobat - I listen to it when I feel down, just for the lyrics: You know thatt your time is coming round so don't let the bastards grind you down

The First Time - I dunno there's something optimistic about this record

I connect with a lot of U2's songs, like all of us. No matter what the subject material is within the song, usually, what I take away from that listening experience is a sense of peace, that anything is possible, and nothing is a lost cause. Good topic - Babyface_20!

JCOSTER said:

Thats not strange! That Rocks!

about the songs I picked:

I Still Haven't Found What I am looking for- This hit home as I am always searching for meaning; Trying to figure out what I want for myself.

Kite- I was going through some bad times; This song helped me through

I think thats why I like U2 so much, is that their music is so moving because just about anyone can relate to it. Each song can mean something different depending on who is listening to it.

Kite, SYCMIOYO, ISHFWILF, WOWY, etc. All very moving and I connect with. And Streets just fills my heart up with love everytime I hear it :)

Out Of Control: Sends a chill down my spine when the line "someday I'll die, the choice will not be mine, but is it too late, you can't fight fate" comes up. Plus I played it on the mornings of my eighteenth and nineteenth birthdays, just cause I heard this is when Bono wrote the song, and I can sort of see where he's coming from.

October (the song): Has a somber tone that I always seem to relate to tough times, and things changing in my life.

WTSHNN: I know this sounds wierd, but I hear Streets when it comes on the radio, and when it happens to play at key moments (I won a bronze medal at this huge hockey tournament after going through a hard time for a few months, and it came on as the celebration song in the arena), and it just makes me reflect on how my life is going. It always seems to be there for me at the right times.

JCOSTER said:

NO WAY!! The first time I listened to it, that is EXACTLY what I thought! What a funny coincidence (or maybe not such a coincidence?)

Stuck & Walk On- I turn them on anytime I'm having a bad day

Kite- Simply brilliant...

Beautiful Day- Turns my mood completely around

With or Without You- Beautiful

When I Look At The World- I've become oddly obsessed with this song, recently. I don't know why.

The First Time- Just so true...

City of Blinding Lights- :dance:

Stay- my theme song :heart:

and on and on and on....

I've suffered from depression on and off for quite a few years now and U2 has been like a beacon of light for me. Not only the music but the band themselves and everthing they stand for.

Stuck In A Moment, Acrobat, Gone, Kite, One Tree Hill, 40, Streets, One, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Beautiful Day and The First Time are all songs that have helped me personally.

dang guys...i know that when i'm like 50, and U2 is gone, im going to truly miss them...im glad ive got all this music (and hopefully multitudes of songs in the future) to keep me going

nightninja56 said:
dang guys...i know that when i'm like 50, and U2 is gone, im going to truly miss them...im glad ive got all this music (and hopefully multitudes of songs in the future) to keep me going

Amen to that :)

I have an old volkswagon beatle back home, and I taped 'The Best of the rock stars/ When hip hop drove the big cars' across the back. It seemed very comforting and fitting when I pushed it when it broke down and all the kids listening to Hip hop went zooming by (Really old Beatle). Yeo, I am one of those who would play Kite at my funeral (or have it played), followed or preceded by Fields of Rose by Sting.

Also, I love almos everyone of their lyrics.

A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle.

Oh, and so cruel is pure poetry.

JCOSTER said:

All That You Can't Leave Behind - Just hits a chord w/me.

Stuck in a Moment - This song actually helped me through depression, and when I get gloomy. I also tell my kids when they get sad. this time shall pass....

talk about two hearts beat as one :lol:

No seriously, those three have had the same three affects on me. Kite has helped me through three deaths in 18 months.

ATYCLB is amazing to me. I would be a lost soul without it.

Stuck in a Moment has helped me through about three or four serious ruts lately. 'this time will pass' and 'you are such a fool to worry like you do' are great lines.

When I look at the world I have become obsessed with as well. Beautiful guitar, vocals...

WOWY helped me today.

:sigh:

U2 are so great. For all tha haters, I hope your music can bring you happiness and joy and comfort that this music does.

:)

Last edited:
Right now I'm thinking of Acrobat... Whenever I feel sad I listen to that song and the last part of it usually makes me feel better. If someone made a movie about my life Acrobat had to be included in the soundtrack...

I've suffered from depression on and off for quite a few years now and U2 has been like a beacon of light for me. Not only the music but the band themselves and everthing they stand for.

Stuck In A Moment, Acrobat, Gone, Kite, One Tree Hill, 40, Streets, One, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Beautiful Day and The First Time are all songs that have helped me personall

i too suffer from depression, namely bi-polar or manic depression. It has hit me bad three times in my life. I really agree with your choice of songs. Streets and beautifu day so move me when ia mfighting my way back uphill. Kite is such, such a brilliant and emotive song to me -i can really relate to the idea of Bonos/anybodys/mine children growing up and feeling thrilled and privileged to see them grow but knowing you can't protect them from everything if they are to grow strong and beautiful espeially that line "There's a kite blowing out of control on a breeze, iwonder what's going to happen to you" GREAT SITE GREAT POSTINGS -thanks folks

COBL_04 said:
I love that ATYCLB has been talked so positively about here. Most bash it,

Actually, most *don't* bash it, but a small and apparently "dedicated" (as they seem to have nothing better to do) minority bash it over (and over, and over) so it just seems that way...:wink:

Believe me, Achtung Baby was bashed early and often by a similar group of fans for a few years...and look at it now! :lol:

1. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - "and when I touch you, you don't feel anything"
2. Walk To The Water - " Let me love you..."

These two songs really were the soundtrack to a "relationship" I had with a girl...

kimby said:

Actually, most *don't* bash it, but a small and apparently "dedicated" (as they seem to have nothing better to do) minority bash it over (and over, and over) so it just seems that way...:wink:

*cough* it's the same way with HTDAAB *cough*

:shifty: Did somebody say something?

I always been able to apply one U2 song or another to my life. It's hard to pick only a few.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - A really motivating song, when I'm lost.
Lemon - Beautiful song, great after a bad relationship
When I Look At The World - One of the gems off ATYLCB, it's also one of those songs I listen to when I'm lost.
Walk On - When I'm down or depressed, I remember this was my favorite song. However it's kind of worn out over the months.
I Fall Down - I find this song to be just beautiful, with lyrics anyone can relate to.
If God Will Send His Angels - Another song I listen to when I'm down.
Beautiful Day - As inspirational as it gets.

I agree about ATYCLB being a great album. It really connects with me and what others consider boring I find peaceful. An album doesn't have to be all experimental and "out there" for it to be great. It's my personal favorite and always has been, unlike the other albums where my opinion isn't always consistent. Truly U2's 3rd masterpiece.

all of u2's songs touch some part of me and my life. two songs though stand out, "stay", "drowning man". these songs constantly remind me that the one i love will always be so far away from me that she might as well not exist. that the distance and circumstances that has kept me seperated from my soulmate for almost 18 yrs will always be there.
silly? maybe. foolish? maybe.

pop marter said:

i'm with you on this, they have been there for me through up down and inside out . somedays u2 is all that gets me through the day . (thank god for mp3)

One - i cant listen to anymore as it rips me up inside carrying so much angst from when i was a teen . ( sad eh lol )

i want Streets played at my funeral,

Bad is just the best

Ultraviolet is like THE song for me at the moment, i dont know why , acrobat also .

all i want is you- deep n meaningful love song,

electric co, a day without me, shadows and tall trees anything
from Boy really gets me thinking . very profound lyrics on that album for such a young guy.

dirty day and utill the end of the world. DIVORCE.... say no more... just turn it up !!!!!!!!!!!

in a little while - because my partner and i spend so much time apart..

Last edited:
SunBloc said:
I connect with a lot of U2's songs, like all of us. No matter what the subject material is within the song, usually, what I take away from that listening experience is a sense of peace, that anything is possible, and nothing is a lost cause. Good topic - Babyface_20!

I agree with all of this, there are so many that I can relate to: Kite, Walk On, All I Want Is You, SYCMIOYO, Streets, WOWY, the list goes on, but the one song that sticks with me through thick and thin and never fails to lose its resonance with me is Bad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom