U2 360 Set List - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um, they've actually played NYD once as well. I'm not sure what you mean by "stop forgetting" they played a lot of Boy last tour, this is the first tour we haven't heard anything from Boy in awhile.

:doh: :doh: :doh: I completely forgot about NYD! But they've only played it a few times...

And as far as 'forgetting' I was really just referring to the setlist for this tour. I know they played a lot from Boy last tour, which was great...guess I'm still not over missing it :sigh:

I wouldn't mind seeing some more stuff off the Zooropa album, but I dunno, I think they'd have to get their stuff together for that.

Like:

Dirty Day
Babyface
Lemon (wishful thinking)

Having seen the show last night, I was surprised at them doing a single acoustic song instead of a full set. This was it slows down the show a bit, just like last two tours.

Otherwise, no complaints here.

Having seen the show last night, I was surprised at them doing a single acoustic song instead of a full set. This was it slows down the show a bit, just like last two tours.

Otherwise, no complaints here.

Thought it was the acoustic stuff felt a bit early, but I imagine they're doing it to kill time until it gets dark for to unleash the 3 big set piece claw songs, TUF, COBL and Crazy.

Interesting to see people clamouring for more rocking songs in the set, yet plenty of hype for stuff like Drowning man or Your blue room.

:shrug:

I wouldn't mind seeing some more stuff off the Zooropa album, but I dunno, I think they'd have to get their stuff together for that.

Like:

Dirty Day
Babyface
Lemon (wishful thinking)

Agreed but hoping they will leave their comfort zone is asking too much, it seems.

Here is the playlist I will be listening to on the way to London:

01. Get On Your Boots (2009.03.11 - Boston - NLOTH Promo)
02. Breathe (2009.02.27 - London - NLOTH Promo)
03. Magnificent (2009.07.07 - Milan I - 360 Tour)
04. Beautiful Day (2001.09.01 - Dublin - Elevation Tour)
05. Elevation (2001.09.01 - Dublin - Elevation Tour)
06. Mysterious Ways (1993.08.23 - Dublin - ZOO TV Tour)
07. Staring At The Sun (1997.07.18 - Rotterdam - Popmart Tour)
08. Gone (2001.06.06 - Boston - Elevation Tour)
09. Until The End of The World (1997.08.28 - Leeds - Popmart Tour)
10. New Year's Day (2001.09.01 - Dublin - Elevation Tour)
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday (1987.11.08 - Denver - Joshua Tree Tour)
12. Desire (1990.01.10 - Rotterdam - Lovetown Tour)
13. Vertigo (2005.05.10 - Chicago - Vertigo Tour)
14. Even Better Than The Real Thing (1993.08.23 - Dublin - ZOO TV Tour
15. I'll Go Crazy if I don't Go Crazy Tonight (2009.07.24 - Dublin - 360 Tour)
16. Discotheque (1997.08.28 - Leeds - Popmart Tour)
17. City of Blinding Lights (2005.05.10 - Chicago - Vertigo Tour)
18. Moment of Surrender (2009.07.20 - Amsterdam - 360 Tour)
19. All I Want is You (2001.09.01 - Dublin - Elevation Tour)
20. Where The Streets Have No Name (2001.09.01 - Dublin - Elevation Tour)
21. One (2001.09.01 - Dublin - Elevation Tour)
-----------------------------
22. Mofo (1997.11.06 - Rotterdam - MTV Europe Awards)
23. Dirty Day (1993.11.16 - Adelaide - ZOO TV Tour)
24. The Fly (2001.06.06 - Boston - Elevation Tour)
-----------------------------
25. Ultraviolet (2009.07.24 - Dublin - 360 Tour)
26. With or Without You (1992.08.16 - Washington DC - ZOO TV Tour)
27. Kite (2006.11.11 - Sydney - Vertigo Tour)

When I travel to Sheffield, I will be doing some rotation (IWF, TEC, TUF, Bad, OTH, RTSS, God Pt 2, LIB, DGPFYCC, New York, NLOTH) :reject:

Or maybe they just dont want to play it? and it has nothing to do with this whole "comfort zone" thing that you keep going on about.

I can only go on what the band have said since 2000 and the common sense impression that playing songs from Zooropa is riskier than playing material like Pride and WOWY, which everyone knows.

I can only go on what the band have said since 2000 and the common sense impression that playing songs from Zooropa is riskier than playing material like Pride and WOWY, which everyone knows.
yeah, they really are slacking
I remember the ZOO TV tour when instead of all the 80s hits they played deep album cuts from Boy, October and Unforgettable Fire
oh wait, they didn't
neither did they on POPMart or on Lovetown though

yeah, they really are slacking
I remember the ZOO TV tour when instead of all the 80s hits they played deep album cuts from Boy, October and Unforgettable Fire
oh wait, they didn't
neither did they on POPMart or on Lovetown though

It's not so much your rather forced attempt at sarcasm that troubles me, but the argument. ZOO TV was brave, precisely because the band they played so much of their new material IN PLACE OF a lot of their warhorses. Some (though not all) of them found it's way back on the stadium leg but I do not recall it was at the expense of new material. Secondly, playing WOWY in 1992 or even in 1997 was defensible but persisting with it for three subsequent tours suggests a narrowing of vision, the forging of a comfort zone. You simply cannot compare the decision to play WOWY in 1992 with the decision to play it in 2009. If they applied their philosophy in 1992 to 2009, they would be (and rightly I think) playing a few more 90s hits like Discotheque or yes, Lemon.

It's not so much your rather forced attempt at sarcasm that troubles me, but the argument. ZOO TV was brave, precisely because the band they played so much of their new material IN PLACE OF a lot of their warhorses.
How many songs did they have that would have been considered warhorses back then? Probably 4 maybe 5, and they were all played that tour. This whole "brave" argument doesn't hold much water with me.

Some (though not all) of them found it's way back on the stadium leg but I do not recall it was at the expense of new material. Secondly, playing WOWY in 1992 or even in 1997 was defensible but persisting with it for three subsequent tours suggests a narrowing of vision, the forging of a comfort zone. You simply cannot compare the decision to play WOWY in 1992 with the decision to play it in 2009. If they applied their philosophy in 1992 to 2009, they would be (and rightly I think) playing a few more 90s hits like Discotheque or yes, Lemon.

What new material are we expensing for old? No one really expected to hear Cedars, WAS, and I think FEZ was a long shot. And there's probably only a handful actually missing SUC.

No, I would say anything after ZooTV WOWY has the same offense.

I find it odd that you picked those two songs, probably two of the last I would ever expect U2 to play. Disco was played last tour, plus it was just never a great live song and content wise extremely dated. The songs I can see coming back from the 90's are Gone, Fly, or Hold Me...

I honestly think you and most setlist complainers are really just complaining because the 90's songs you want to hear are missing, all the rest is window dressing.

U2 Zoo TV Tour 1992 Leg I
North America
02/29/1992 Lakeland Arena - Lakeland, Florida, USA
Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World, Angel Of Harlem, Satellite Of Love, Bad / All I Want Is You (snippet), Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, Where The Streets Have No Name, Pride (In The Name Of Love), I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
encores: Desire / Not Fade Away (snippet), Ultra Violet (Light My Way), With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet), Love Is Blindness

the only 2 obvious songs missing are New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday
perhaps I will follow for the sake of nostalgia
New Year's Day was added later on in the tour
then POPMart adds songs from POP and some Achtung songs (all the non singles except for Until the end) get axed

and so it goes on
except for at Vertigo and 360 they actually have added some non hits into the setlist

I honestly think you and most setlist complainers are really just complaining because the 90's songs you want to hear are missing, all the rest is window dressing.
it sounds so obvious that it just might be true

I think the set list's are great and i think they'll stay pretty similar throughout this year of the tour however, i'm thinking they may do a little adjusting for the american leg, here's my crack at it :)

Get On Your Boots
No Line On The Horizon
Beautiful Day
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Magnificent
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For or Elevation
Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky or Bad
Pride
MLK/Walk On
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Ultraviolet
With Or Without You
Mysterious Ways

Breathe
Moment Of Surrender

we have a winner

Which is interesting consdering how much of the 90's songs the last three tours provided...

Which is interesting consdering how much of the 90's songs the last three tours provided...

Oh please! AB is one of the THREE 90s albums they made (if you exclude Passengers). Are you seriously claiming that 90s fans should somehow be grateful for occasional accoustic renditions of Stay, The First Time and Please? No HMTMKMKM, no Last Night On Earth, no Lemon, no Dirty Day, no full-band Please, no Even Better Than The Real Thing ( from AB but no renditions since 2001), no Discotheque (since the shortened Elevation version), no Gone (since 2001), no Numb, no Mofo- in other words, no full-band renditions of their big 90s songs. Had even half of those songs been rotated, you might have had a point but you know as well as I do, that they have been airbrushed out of the past.

Oh please! AB is one of the THREE 90s albums they made (if you exclude Passengers). Are you seriously claiming that 90s fans should somehow be grateful for occasional accoustic renditions of Stay, The First Time and Please? No HMTMKMKM, no Last Night On Earth, no Lemon, no Dirty Day, no full-band Please, no Even Better Than The Real Thing ( from AB but no renditions since 2001), no Discotheque (since the shortened Elevation version), no Gone (since 2001), no Numb, no Mofo- in other words, no full-band renditions of their big 90s songs. Had even half of those songs been rotated, you might have had a point but you know as well as I do, that they have been airbrushed out of the past.

That they do not play Lemon or Mofo I can understand. Lemon is impossible to sing nowadays and Mofo is such a weird(yet fanatastic) song that it could only be used to open a show(maybe the encore). Songs like discotheque, gone, even better than the real thing, HMTMKMKM however seem to have dissapeared. Where is Window in the skies by the way? Pretty big hit over here just like the saints are comming but only Oceania got them. Also doesn't make sense since thye were better received than Boots etc.

Oh well, DM or YBR will make its debut tonight :wink:

What new material are we expensing for old? No one really expected to hear Cedars, WAS, and I think FEZ was a long shot. And there's probably only a handful actually missing SUC.

No, I would say anything after ZooTV WOWY has the same offense.

I find it odd that you picked those two songs, probably two of the last I would ever expect U2 to play. Disco was played last tour, plus it was just never a great live song and content wise extremely dated. The songs I can see coming back from the 90's are Gone, Fly, or Hold Me...

Firstly, yes, I am complaining because the 90s songs are missing- absolutely. Does that make me self-interested? Yes, but no more self-interested than setlist defenders. The only difference is that the interests and preferences of defenders coincide with the band's. Therefore, they can adopt a veneer of loyalty and selflessness in order to dismiss people like me as selfish. Also, quelle horreur, I genuinely think that the show would be improved for everyone if they played more 90s material (just 3 songs would do)- the claw, in fact the whole stage set up seems to demand it. I'm certainly not the only one to have made that point.

Secondly, I would like to address Discotheque. I cannot dispute that it was played last tour but I hardly think that a grand total of 2 renditions is much of a counter-argument. Are 90s fans supposed to be grateful for those little morsels tossed their way? Furthermore, was Discotheque bad live? That is a trifle subjective. I've read many posts on this forum which claim it works rather well. Equally curious is your claim that "content wise it is extremely dated." Sonically, I don't think Pop sounds dated, certainly not in relation to the very 80s work you would like to retain. Very little of what U2 has done sounds dated to me.

Well yes it is disappointing that we haven't heard some of the other 90's stuff. I would also like to point out, that they haven't really even bothered with many songs from HTDAAB either except Vertigo and COBL. SYCMIOYO is an awesome song but where is it? Could it be MOS is now replacing it? Who knows. I do know one thing, and that Bono does usually say U2 are always looking forwards not backwards. Not that I totally agree with his statement, but this is Bono...

Firstly, yes, I am complaining because the 90s songs are missing- absolutely. Does that make me self-interested? Yes, but no more self-interested than setlist defenders. The only difference is that the interests and preferences of defenders coincide with the band's. Therefore, they can adopt a veneer of loyalty and selflessness in order to dismiss people like me as selfish.

Thank you monsieur Fly for "crawling inside my mind". Great post:up:

monsieur fly, does have a point. A lot of people are so quick to think you're on the band wagon of 'not liking anything the present U2 do' and this isn't true. I know because I've had this type of thing put on me before here, and it's far from the truth. I love the present U2, but like you were saying before, it would nice if they could shake things up a bit and be a bit more experimental as sometimes things become too safe and too predictable at times.

Firstly, yes, I am complaining because the 90s songs are missing- absolutely. Does that make me self-interested? Yes, but no more self-interested than setlist defenders. The only difference is that the interests and preferences of defenders coincide with the band's. Therefore, they can adopt a veneer of loyalty and selflessness in order to dismiss people like me as selfish. Also, quelle horreur, I genuinely think that the show would be improved for everyone if they played more 90s material (just 3 songs would do)- the claw, in fact the whole stage set up seems to demand it. I'm certainly not the only one to have made that point.

Secondly, I would like to address Discotheque. I cannot dispute that it was played last tour but I hardly think that a grand total of 2 renditions is much of a counter-argument. Are 90s fans supposed to be grateful for those little morsels tossed their way? Furthermore, was Discotheque bad live? That is a trifle subjective. I've read many posts on this forum which claim it works rather well. Equally curious is your claim that "content wise it is extremely dated." Sonically, I don't think Pop sounds dated, certainly not in relation to the very 80s work you would like to retain. Very little of what U2 has done sounds dated to me.

Didn't Willie Williams state that the band weren't happy with Discotheque and the POP section they had rehearsed when they tried it last time. Edge has said he finds it hard to get into the correct mindset for some songs. Given the fact they played it twice then dropped it like a hot stone, probably lends credence to the fact the band almost certainly aren't going to be bringing it back any time soon.

And your initial point is wrong. Someone defending the setlist isn't necessarily self-interested, they might not even think the 360 setlist is particularly brilliant, I'm sure many don't but there's a defending something, or not complaining is completely different from actively and continually moaning about something you have absolutely no power to change.

While some of the nutty Pop/Zooropa songs would fit with this experience, there are some we could hear that don't require that kind of mood either. 'The First Time', fullout 'Stay', 'If God Would Send his Angels' (rehearsed right?), 'Gone', 'Staring at the Sun', etc.

Are you still using this argument? It really wouldn't kill U2 to fit in a song or two from Boy, October, Zooropa or Pop. No bias there, I don't even like October that much. But there is a sizable portion of the crowd that loves those albums, and I don't think it's a terribly outlandish request. If the supposed "majority" of the crowd loves the 00s, the majority of the concert should be geared towards them. However, if there is even a percentage that loves the early 80s and mid-late 90s, they deserve a slice of the pie as well. Certainly greater than 1 song from the four albums combined, as has been the case.

puh-lease

During the last three tours we have heard

- 8 AB songs
- 2 Zooropa songs (one of which didn't even get played on Zoo TV)
- 1 Passengers song
- 5 Pop songs

The only album possibly getting a bad deal since Popmart is Zooropa, and it actually got more songs performed on the 00's tours than the follow up tour after the album got released.

Out of those songs you listed, only the Batman song counts as a not-played big 90's song (Discotheque was played on Elevation and Vertigo). Consider also that we're only done with the first leg of 360 tour. Who knows what else they might decide to dig out from the back catalogue.

Mofo was rehearsed on the last tour, and If god will send his angels/Your blue room were soundchecked on this tour. No, I don't think U2 is forgetting the 90s.

During the last three tours we have heard

- 8 AB songs
- 2 Zooropa songs (one of which didn't even get played on Zoo TV)
- 1 Passengers song
- 5 Pop songs

The only album possibly getting a bad deal since Popmart is Zooropa, and it actually got more songs performed on the 00's tours than the follow up tour after the album got released.

Out of those songs you listed, only the Batman song counts as a not-played big 90's song (Discotheque was played on Elevation and Vertigo). Consider also that we're only done with the first leg of 360 tour. Who knows what else they might decide to dig out from the back catalogue.

Mofo was rehearsed on the last tour, and If god will send his angels/Your blue room were soundchecked on this tour. No, I don't think U2 is forgetting the 90s.

Not forgetting... just, at the moment, intentionally ignoring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom