Top 5 worst lyrics of U2's career

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that line gets such a bad rap.

it's such a magical smell (those w/o your own children can't fully understand). It's the smell of innocence, miracles, and a bright future where anything is possible for this baby.

That new born baby just emerges from the womb and into another realm where they are free.

Ah, whatever, it makes sense to me.

Numb1075 said:

I think that all of the lyrics to "Miami" and "Some days are Better than Others" are absurdly crappy.

I know! Rock bottom of U2's lyrics as far as I'm concerned.

I never really got all the hate for the "newborn" line either. :shrug:

U2girl said:
I know! Rock bottom of U2's lyrics as far as I'm concerned.

While I do agree with you on Some Days, I don't agree about Miami. But what you people don't seem to get is that lyrics are not really that important in songs such as Daddy's Gonna Pay, Some Days and Miami. Most of the brilliance of those songs comes from the music... the drums, the bass, the percussion to be specific! When you're experimenting and creating interesting music, who cares about a few clunky lyrics here and there? Sadly that's not the case with most 'songs' in the 00s because there is neither interesting music nor great lyrics.

Zootlesque said:

But what you people don't seem to get is that lyrics are not really that important in songs such as Daddy's Gonna Pay, Some Days and Miami. Most of the brilliance of those songs comes from the music... the drums, the bass, the percussion to be specific! When you're experimenting and creating interesting music, who cares about a few clunky lyrics here and there?

Oh, I get it all right. Zooropa is flippin' fantastic. It's all about the music and lyrics are trivial in the whole scheme of things.

Zootlesque said:

But what you people don't seem to get is that lyrics are not really that important in songs such as Daddy's Gonna Pay, Some Days and Miami. Most of the brilliance of those songs comes from the music... the drums, the bass, the percussion to be specific! When you're experimenting and creating interesting music, who cares about a few clunky lyrics here and there?

:barf:

:mad: I like "Miami."

Funny story is that I hated that song until I was leaving on a cruise ship and I saw my city through a tourist's eyes. I played Miami on my iPod and it nearly made sense. :up:

Of course the line petrol's cheap is one that makes me irritable lately. It's anything but. :madspit:

This is a reminder that I need to start filming my city more often to make a certain video of it... :hmm:

Zootlesque said:

While I do agree with you on Some Days, I don't agree about Miami. But what you people don't seem to get is that lyrics are not really that important in songs such as Daddy's Gonna Pay, Some Days and Miami. Most of the brilliance of those songs comes from the music... the drums, the bass, the percussion to be specific! When you're experimenting and creating interesting music, who cares about a few clunky lyrics here and there? Sadly that's not the case with most 'songs' in the 00s because there is neither interesting music nor great lyrics.

Come on...Some Days has some great lines. "Skin is white but you think you're a brother" "Some days are bouncers that won't let you in" "Some days you wake up in the army...and some days it's the enemy"

Yea, there's some ridiculous lines, but they're intentionally funny at least, and that's excusable. Lines that are unintentionally hilarious are the embarrassing ones.

When Bono sings "Some days you can't stand the sight of a puppy" he's obviously not aiming for profoundity. He's in a playful mood, and it suits the music.

Hey, hey, sha-la-la Hey, hey, sha-la-la
Uh huh, sha-la Un huh, sha-la

Sounds like 50's music - even though Bono can make it sound good. Obvious writer's block.

BOOM CHA! Miami MY MAMMY! Copying lyrics off commercial slogans for half a song. Don't this don't that ad infinity I feel numb!

Yeah, watch out Yeats.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

A little sensitive are we? You criticize everyone on here, yet no one can dissent to your opinion?

Is that you Bush?

Okay, I don't know who's posts you're reading but I do not take pleasure in criticizing everyone's posts here with condescending, know-it-all replies and rude smileys. This is not the first time I've noticed this but... for the most part, you seem to post on this website just to pick on people's opinions and that's what I was calling you out on. And don't call me Bush please. If I'm not mistaken, you and I both want that moron kicked out of office.

Zootlesque said:

Okay, I don't know who's posts you're reading but I do not take pleasure in criticizing everyone's posts here with condescending, know-it-all replies and rude smileys. This is not the first time I've noticed this but... for the most part, you seem to post on this website just to pick on people's opinions and that's what I was calling you out on. And don't call me Bush please. If I'm not mistaken, you and I both want that moron kicked out of office.

Calm down. Yes, I've seen you attack people's opinions very condescendingly in here. My reasons for posting in this site have nothing to with picking on people's opinions, if it was I would have been banned by now. I will call someone out when they say something they can't back up or when someone speaks in contradictions...

Take that any way you want.

An intellectual tortoise

i just dont get it untill i saw it in a cartoon on @u2 i never knew that was the lyric... now that i do its just bah!

i LOVE this song...but this lyric...

intransigence is all around? military still in town
armour plated suits and ties?addy just won't say goodbye

does anyone know what intransigence is?

europop2005 said:
i LOVE this song...but this lyric...

intransigence is all around? military still in town
armour plated suits and ties?addy just won't say goodbye

does anyone know what intransigence is?

refusing to agree or compromise; uncompromising; inflexible.

It's one of Bono's best lyrics ever.

Oh, and it's "daddy".

Some places are like your auntie
But there's no place like
MIAMI MY MAMMY

That is all. I mean there are other bad ones (I agree with probably 50% of this thread). But that is by far worse than the others put together.

Oh and I cant believe it took until page 4 for Miami to get mentioned.

Babydoll said:
"The sea it swells like a sore head" :confused:

And from the same song: "Coffee's cold, but it'll get you through..."

as i baised my name on this song and that particular line i feel the need to comment.

Do you like cold coffee? i mean coffee that got cold over time just sitting there...not iced coffee. I believe most people would say no. but if your really desperate and tired and you just need to stay awake to make yourself work you'd probably drink it.

Thats what all of electrical storm is about - making something that isn't working work because you don't want to give up let go. its a brilliant line the whole song is brilliant. its probably my favourite thing u2 has ever don.

^ I agree with that, I ADORE electrical storm!

But yeah sometimes if you don't understand the lyrics, or they are confusing they sounds weird or silly! But then each to their own really! :D

I don't like the whole '100, 200' money thing from Bullet the Blue Sky infact i dislike that WHOLE song :ohmy: hehehe

I'm still denying that it's actually in the song, because I really don't like it, but I can hear it if I try. Add to the list:

The soul in its strip tease.

Wtf??? Makes no sense in the context of the verse and is like a 13 year old emo wanna-be's attempt at a powerful metaphor. I like the rest of the song (though it's not in my top...30? 50?) but it's hardly eternal.

partygirlvox said:

:lol: I really like that line!

Its better than
'Where I grew up
There weren't many trees
Where there was we'd tear them down
And use them on our enemies'
Now that, i really don't understand
:|

Thank you, partygirlvox. The single worst attempt at a lyric Bono ever forced upon an undeserving world. The only thing in the entire U2 catalog I condemn unequivocally. If poetry were religion, Bono would go to hell for this. This is sin.
The cow, the old cow, she is dead;
It sleeps well, the hornèd head
We poor lads, 'tis our turn now
To hear such tunes as killed the cow...

Back
Top Bottom