Top 5 worst lyrics of U2's career

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:
"And a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."

You know that line isn't Bono's, right? Some great feminist (don't know the name) is supposed to have said it. Personally I like that line.

Okay, I'd forgotten about this thread.. thanks to the mods moving it here where hardly anybody visits! :mad: :wink:

Anyway, here's my list...

1. "Life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement" - by far the worst line in U2's career.

2. "Some days are slippy, other days sloppy
Some days you can't stand the sight of a puppy" :huh:

3. "All of this can be yours just give me what I want and no one gets hurt" :yuck:

4. "With a mouth full of teeth you ate all your friends" :eeklaugh: WTF!

5. "And I miss you when you're not around" - like neutral said, totally unnecessary!

See what I mean when I say the 00s have the worst lyrics yet??? ;)

Zootlesque said:

You know that line isn't Bono's, right? Some great feminist (don't know the name) is supposed to have said it.

Either Goria Steinem or Irina Dunn first said it. :nerd:

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

See what I mean when I say the 00s have the worst lyrics yet??? ;)

Wasn't expecting that one! :lol:

I really like that line from TTTYAATW as well. I may not be a feminist, and I don't agree with it, but I like its symbolism.

COBL_04 said:

Wasn't expecting that one! :lol:

I really like that line from TTTYAATW as well. I may not be a feminist, and I don't agree with it, but I like its symbolism.

Everyone should consider themselves a feminist :up:
Yeh I like that line, and I like how Bono changes it when they play that song live.

:madwife: at all the nonfeminists

:wink:

I like the line. The quote is perfect in the context it's being used in.
Here you have this man stumbling back home, after whatever he's been out doing for the first eight tracks of the album. Then you end the song with "And a woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle, when you're trying to throw your arms around the world". He's using this great, famous, feminist idealogy quote to paint a picture. The woman doesn't need him. He's gonna run to her, he's perfectly willing to do that, but that doesn't mean she's going to accept him back into her life.

COBL_04 said:

Oooh what did he change it too?

I've heard it on the dubin zootv bootleg as-
'and a woman needs a man, like clayton needs a handycam..trying to throw his bass around the world'

for me the worst line ever is

"i'll give you everything you want
except the thing that you want" from original of the species

does this line make any sense at all??!!???

andala said:
for me the worst line ever is

"i'll give you everything you want
except the thing that you want" from original of the species

does this line make any sense at all??!!???
It makes perfect sense to me. The song is a sort of father-to-daughter love song, and having had an often rocky relationship with my own father, I understand it completely. The father loves his daughter and would give her the world if she asked him to, but at the same time, he would refuse to give her certain things that she might think she wants, things which he knows she doesn't need, things which he knows would be bad for her in the end.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

It makes perfect sense to me. The song is a sort of father-to-daughter love song, and having had an often rocky relationship with my own father, I understand it completely. The father loves his daughter and would give her the world if she asked him to, but at the same time, he would refuse to give her certain things that she might think she wants, things which he knows she doesn't need, things which he knows would be bad for her in the end.

:up: thats the way ive always interpreted it, my dads just like that. If only he wasn't...I would have gotten that tattoo a long time ago!
( :lol: why did i even bother coming in this thread, all I've done is defend nearly every lyric mentioned!)

* Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head

* The air is heavy, heavy as a truck

* There is no failure here sweetheart / just when you quit

* You left my heart as empty as a vacant lot

* Where I grew up, there weren't many trees... etc.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I don't think there's any question over the interpretation, just the quality of the line. I can't stand it.

"in a dry and waterless place"
"did I ask too much, more than a lot"
"some days are better than others"
"you left my heart empty as a vacant lot"
probably the truck one too.

"An intellectual tortoise" is in my opinion, one of the worst. Esp when he pronounces it to match the word choice.

DreamOutLoud13, I liked your analysis of the TTYAATW lyric!

U2girl said:
"in a dry and waterless place"
"did I ask too much, more than a lot"
"you left my heart empty as a vacant lot"

Please... those lines are a lot better than the 00s clunkers!

I've gotta agree about "Did I ask too much, more than a lot"

Honestly none of the lyrics bother me too much, but sometimes when I think about them set apart from the rest of the song it's like...:huh:

But usually I feel they fit in with the song really well...

Usually

these are all funny.:wink:

I think that all of the lyrics to "Miami" and "Some days are Better than Others" are absurdly crappy.

And as a side note - I think Miracle Drug lyrics are great and The "teeth" line from Crumbs is great as well.

Back
Top Bottom