The "Somewhat Premature" 2010 AFL Thread that is likely to remain awesome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never heard of this, can you tell me more about it?
sure. it started in 2001, and finished in 2007. they played home games at both Hobart and Launceston, with a best finish of 3rd. but mediocre results in the final years and a lack of money forced them to fold, in favour of a Tasmanian state league, the TFL which now operates (as opposed to the two separate leagues which did, the NTFL and the SFL).
Guess they're stuck with Hawthorn now. :wink: Though if any Tassie team would arise then they'd definitely be based in Launceston, not Hobart, m i rite?

highly unlikely; if there were to be a Tasmania team, it would Tasmania, ie the entire state. they might have head offices in Hobart or something, but it'd be a Tasmanian team.

if there comes a time for the 19th and 20th licenses, which will probably happen, then i dare say they will be from South & Western Australia, respectively.

primarily, you'd think so. but if it ever eventuated, i'd be shocked in bellerive oval didn't get a handful of games.

Yeah, no doubt. In capacity ...

Aurora Stadium: 20,000
Bellerive Oval: 16,000

Hmm ...

sure. it started in 2001, and finished in 2007. they played home games at both Hobart and Launceston, with a best finish of 3rd. but mediocre results in the final years and a lack of money forced them to fold, in favour of a Tasmanian state league, the TFL which now operates (as opposed to the two separate leagues which did, the NTFL and the SFL).

Geez, that's still a mere 3 years back, and I never even knew about it!

if there were to be a Tasmania team, it would Tasmania, ie the entire state. they might have head offices in Hobart or something, but it'd be a Tasmanian team.

for what it's worth, that's essentially the a-league bid plan. a split of games between hobart and launceston.

i didn't know the stadium capacities were so close. i'd think that being all-seater (right?) aurora would probably command the higher prices, so that's probably a tick in their box. maybe greater western sydney should consider playing at bellerive :lol:

Anyone interested in GC17's redevelopment of the Carrara Stadium? A capacity of 25,000 I believe. :up:

stadium_aerial_cropped.jpg

Anyone interested in GC17's redevelopment of the Carrara Stadium? A capacity of 25,000 I believe. :up:

stadium_aerial_cropped.jpg
wow, that's far less of a shithole than what i drove past last year.

what's interesting is that in some reports carrara has been included in a memorandum of understanding between the ffa and the other sporting leagues in australia for compensation if the venue is used to host world cup games in 2018 or 2022. i doubt this is the end of the carrara redevelopment story.

The 'old' Carrara was knocked down last year, AFAIK. Everything was gone except for the 4 light posts. And they're trying to get it done by mid-next year!

that makes me beyond happy. good luck to them getting it done by then!

They might need to play some home games at the Gabba, but other than that, looking good.

Feel pretty happy for GC17 that they'll get a nice, classy new stadium.

I'm in a question asking mood now, so ...

GWS will be playing at a 10k capacity stadium (Blacktown Olympic Park) according to Wikipedia (not the most trusty source, but yeah). Will that stadium too get an upgrade?

Or will they play at ANZ Stadium?

EDIT: Oh wait, I found out that they WILL be playing at ANZ Stadium.

I'm in a question asking mood now, so ...

GWS will be playing at a 10k capacity stadium (Blacktown Olympic Park) according to Wikipedia (not the most trusty source, but yeah). Will that stadium too get an upgrade?

Or will they play at ANZ Stadium?

EDIT: Oh wait, I found out that they WILL be playing at ANZ Stadium.

i think they should play out of the sydney showground, next door to anz. a much closer capacity to what they need. funnily enough i think that a lot of it will come down to what happens in sydney re: future world cup stadiums. 10k is probably all they need though. i firmly believe this team is a folly that will end up in embarrassment in years to come.

and i still can't forgive the afl for what they did to the olympic stadium in the developments after the olympics.

Dunno what happened to the Tasmanian VFL side, they were quality and drew crowds that occassionally smashed 10,000.

There's talk of Richmond possibly playing home games at Bellrieve. Odd. Someone should play at North Hobart Oval where arguably the greatest goal in AFL history was kicked by Doc Whieldon back in '91 (in my reckoning).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytAyr_Q78sM

There really shouldn't be a third SA or WA team.

They'd just be more corporate creations with no real history and/or total corruptions of SANFL/Waffle clubs.

Also, Adelaide only has like 40 people, jesus christ you can't expect all of us to go to games

There really shouldn't be a third SA or WA team.

They'd just be more corporate creations with no real history and/or total corruptions of SANFL/Waffle clubs.

Also, Adelaide only has like 40 people, jesus christ you can't expect all of us to go to games

Yeah, and one of those teams struggle to get a crowd of 25k. So IT WOULD NOT WORK.

have i already updated le tips?

Dunno what happened to the Tasmanian VFL side, they were quality and drew crowds that occassionally smashed 10,000.

There's talk of Richmond possibly playing home games at Bellrieve. Odd. Someone should play at North Hobart Oval where arguably the greatest goal in AFL history was kicked by Doc Whieldon back in '91 (in my reckoning).

YouTube - Misunderstood Genius Darren "Doc" Wheildon

holy shit... even Stevie J and God Jr would struggle to kick that.

raises another point... why do people feel the need to ruin videos by putting shit titles and songs in them using movie maker?

In other news, we're nearing the end of the thread. :happy: For the second time EVER, prior to 2009 all AFL threads only notched up about 300-500 words.

I don't know if this means anything but last night I had a nightmare when Adelaide had to play Richmond in back-to-back games and we lost both of 'em. Nothing could be more traumatising. :(

Here's Pissweak Tipping World for this weekend:

Freo vs Collingwood (I'm sure that whichever I pick, the other will win)
Melbourne vs Eagles
North vs Adelaide
Bulldogs vs Sydney
Lions vs Cats
Poormond vs Hawks
St Kilda vs Essendon
Port vs Carlton

Only one home pick? Yeah, I'm destined for another week of 4/8 at best.

Freo vs Collingwood - You better believe it. I'm expecting this to turn into a one-sided affair.
Melbourne vs Eagles - Melb. unlucky to lose to WB, last week. Should win.
North vs Adelaide - Walker and Danger ARE RETURN.
Bulldogs vs Sydney - Sydney still in slightly better form than WB.
Lions vs Cats - Cats will rampage again.
Poormond vs Hawks - Ahahahahaha.
St Kilda vs Essendon - Uhh ...
Port vs Carlton - I'm not convinced on Port, but the Blues are on fire.

Fremantle... please God, if you are out there somewhere, let the winner be Fremantle.
Melbourne
Boris the Chicken
Bulldogs... just arks Dougie
Geelong
Hawthorn
St Kilda
Carlton.

Freo!
Demons. Seriously, don't tip us, it's in goddamn Melbourne for christ's sake.
North - was a fairly honourable thrashing last week.
Dogs
Geelong
Hawks - but it'd be awesome if the Tigers won.
Essendon
Port - I think Port's homeside advantage will push them through... wait, what?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom