The "Somewhat Premature" 2010 AFL Thread that is likely to remain awesome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I am fully aware of Carlton's early dominance. I'm not very surprised.

chriiiiist.

at least when Ablett doesn't play we're still an absolutely awesome team.

Saints without Riewoldt is like me right now trying to come up with a witty simile... useless.

Geelong are still the best team in this league.

Very true. :up:

Fremantle are going pretty damn well (as often noted by me) but if they're going to be premiership contenders they need to continue this form and beat the best teams.

I'm not going to judge Freo until we see how they go in the finals, which they'll surely make. If they can keep up form there, anything will happen. They're no longer afraid of playing hard with the best sides.

They're making purple proud.

They've finally made Super Wharfie Time into reality. I'm so proud. :sad:

Freeeeooo... way to go...
freocry.gif

6 Tips. Boourns to you St.Kilda.....Booo Urns. Nether the less, good to see that the Cheat$ have beaten both grand finalists from last season.

Can't wait for Footy this weekend. Some more really interesting matches.

it's just impossible to predict this season. it's fucking terrific.

It really opens it up, doesn't it. I don't really know much about Freo, but if they get a few injuries to some key players, I don't know how far their depth runs. (Its a bit like Brisbane. boy were they flying 3 weeks ago)...But at the moment, they're a scary side to play. They have the big scalp (beating Geelong) and for three and a half quarters held down St.Kilda.

I don't think the Dogs are gonna make the top 4 this year. If anything...right now, you'd nearly say they've gone maybe a bit backwards? Or perhaps they're waiting to pounce in the last few weeks of the season.

Geelong are still the team to beat. Everyones raving about Collingwood (Freo maybe just as much, if they were a Victorian team) at the moment, but what have we got to show for when it really matters in the last...4 finals series.

2006 - Smashed by the doggies in elimination final.
2007 - Beat Sydney, got lucky against West Coast in the semi (extra time), Choked against Brad Ottens...I mean Geelong.
2008 - Wasted space. Beat Sydney? smashed by the Saints..Outed.
2009 - First top 4 finish since '03, smashed by the saints, LUCKY vs Crows, Dazzling start, then smashed by 10+ goals vs Dannys Champs.

No need to compare. :wink:

Choked against Brad Ottens...I mean Geelong

:lol:

i question Freo as well. they're flying, obviously, but i'll be preserving judgement for later on in the year. no finals experience either.

Brisbane unfortunately look screwed, the injuries are huge, and Brown is in a bad way.

bonnie - eight=tenzomg/40
danny - 6/40
ian - 4/37
me - 5/36
vlad - 6/36
inte - 4/35
ax - 5/33

So what do you all think of Matthew Lloyd's statement that Pavlich is better than Riewoldt and Brown and would be considered so if he played in Melbourne?

Are we really underrating Pavlich?

he's having a good year. don't believe the hype.

i'm convinced that to be a paid sports writer/commentator/media person you have to be constantly bandwagoning. Mick Sheahan does it every Monday

i see demetriou wants to put in another team in adelaide if the adelaide oval redevelopment is approved.

did this clown not read up on what happened to rugby league in the 90s? however, i do suspect this talk is a bargaining chip to push for the go-ahead on the adelaide oval work.

Tasmania will never have a team. you read it here first.
it's a shame, too. it seems as though the afl have decided they'd rather try to enter markets where they'd be the small fish in a big pond rather than the boss.

whichever league gets into tassie first is going to own the place forever, i reckon. it's between the afl and the a-league. a niche market, but if either side gets it right it'd be a license to print money.

i don't think the AFL's concerned, and that's primarily because of Hawthorn. think about it, about five or so years ago, they started playing there? the kids go to the games whenever they can, and who's always playing? Hawthorn. they become Hawthorn supporters.

the other thing which works against them - and this is the main reason i think it won't get off the ground - is because they had a state team, Tasmania Devils, in the VFL competition, and it died in arse.

i don't think the AFL's concerned, and that's primarily because of Hawthorn. think about it, about five or so years ago, they started playing there? the kids go to the games whenever they can, and who's always playing? Hawthorn. they become Hawthorn supporters.

the other thing which works against them - and this is the main reason i think it won't get off the ground - is because they had a state team, Tasmania Devils, in the VFL competition, and it died in arse.

Never heard of this, can you tell me more about it?

oooh, i knew about the hawthorn deal but i didn't know they had a failed state team. that's a pretty good argument against tassie. it still doesn't really stack up now that they're going to fail in western sydney and be the last sporting league (even after basketball) to the gold coast party.

Guess they're stuck with Hawthorn now. :wink: Though if any Tassie team would arise then they'd definitely be based in Launceston, not Hobart, m i rite?

Back
Top Bottom