The LONG overdue MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I think Daley is a dick, I'd really like to see Nick Diaz get knocked out tonight

Haha, yeah, I was hoping he'd lose too. I really dislike both of the Diaz bros.

I was hoping Jardine would look much better as well, but I guess he legitimately had next to no prep time for the fight.

I'm starting to get really excited for the 30th, I can't imagine how pumped you must be! I actually bought this month's issue of Men's Health with GSP on the cover, haha. The article was pretty interesting.

Man, it's so awesome we get to witness his final fight. It'll make the night all the more amazing. I am so excited for next weekend, but I'm starting to get nervous. GSP is the only fighter I get nervous to see fight. Kinda lame, I know.
The festivities for the fights begin next week. Hopefully I can make it out to a few of the events.

Time for TUF. I'm not completely sold on this season, but I'll end up watching it all anyway. How have you found it so far?

There have been a lot of boring fights on TUF this season. I thought it would be much more interesting considering they didn't make them fight to get on the show, as they usually all seem hurt from that, but instead, they're all fighting like pansies who're just trying to avoid putting themselves in danger or getting hurt.

That said, I'm still enjoying it. It's actually refreshing to have a drama-less season with coaches who aren't at each others throats!

I get nervous for GSP fights as well, so I completely understand. Have you watched the two UFC Prime Time specials for the fight? I'm starting to think GSP's camp is taking Jack Shields so serious to the point it might be too much, and Shied's camp on the other hand seems to totally be dismissing GSP. Seems really backwards, which is weird. Regardless, I hope he absolutely destroys Shields. I don't know what it is, but something has rubbed me the wrong way about his entire camp. Maybe it's just the association with the Diaz bro's that bothers me, haha. Regardless, they all seem to have chips on their shoulders for no reason whatsoever.

Indeed I have. It's getting so bad that I'm afraid to wear my white GSP fight shorts on Saturday night

We're going to the weigh ins on Friday afternoon after the fan expo. Looking forward to that as well. The nervousness for the fight is definitely building. I'll cry if st Pierre loses

I'll cry if st Pierre loses

I probably will as well, haha. Same with Randy. I'm expecting the best though for the GSP fight, I just hope he ends up really working Shields if he does win. A finish for once would be nice.

Spinning backfist ko!!!! Holy shiiiiiit!

I think I said your last sentence there word for word myself while watching the stream on Facebook just now, hahahaha. That guy was Canadian too, by the way. Trains in GSP's camp, apparently. Awesome knockout, definitely wasn't expecting that!

Thanks nsw, we had a great time

So despite the somewhat lackluster main event, that was a pretty epic event. Nearly every undercard was exciting as were the fights on the main card. The crowd wasn't as consistently loud as Montreal, but when they were, it was deafening. Especially when Hominick started with the ground and pound in the fifth round and during the entire Couture fight. Even seconds after he got knocked out by the sweet karate kid style crane kick, the chants of RANDY RANDY RANDY were insane. Glad to be a part of it. I can't wait for them to come back

Very nice. Yeah, it was a very fun card, don't regret buying it at all. Hopefully Georgie's eye is ok.

This is a pretty interesting interview with one of GSP's trainers. Sounds like his eye will be ok in a week or so:

Firas Zahabi Believes Nick Diaz Fight May Be Next for Georges St-Pierre -- MMA Fighting

I saw an interview with Dana White where he randomly mentioned GSP and Nick Diaz fighting too, so I'm guessing that's definitely being thrown around behind the scenes.

I entirely agree with him that it makes no sense to me that two of the judges gave 2 rounds to Shields. What fight were they watching?! Shields did NOTHING of note the entire fight. No take downs, no strong or damaging looking strikes. Nothing even knocked GSP off his basic footing. Nothing.

I thought I saw this during the fight, but they never showed a replay of it

YouTube - Sheilds poke GSP

Pretty much fucked up GSP's eye and kept him from fighting his best.
Keep your fingers to yourself, ass

Seriously, who throws out an open hand fingers first at someone's face?

For all they talked him up, Jake Shields flat out sucked. Even with GSP not being able to see, he still controlled the entire rest of the fight. not to mention the first 2 rounds, pre eye injury, when GSP was kicking the crap out of him. What on earth was Shields' game plan? Stand around and do nothing?

Ya, I dont know man. He looked scared before the match even started. I guess once GPS started tossing him aside when he'd attempt a takedown, he realized he had nothing else for him.

Also, I meant to mention this, but forgot. Did you see this?

YouTube - fan puts extra hat on randy couture and he doesn't immediately notice

we saw it on the big screens at the stadium. I immediately turned to my girlfriend, who looked at me for a couple seconds and said in a very deadpan manner "that was fucking awesome", then we both started laughing. Someone needs to make a gif of it. I do feel kinda bad since it was his last walk out to the octagon, but it was still really funny to see. It's even funnier on this video because you can see the guys arm swing down and plop the hat down on his head on the big screen during the wide shot

I was at the arena for that q&a session. It was right before the weigh ins. It was pretty funny. He's a charming fellow, that Jon Jones

I'm not even sure what that means... I've never read the biggest grossing tour thread... What does it mean?

I just had a look and all I took from it was it's pretty much just two assholes talking back and forth, one of those twats uses a irritating coloured font, and it's probably the driest most tedious discussion I've ever seen.... I'll assume you mean the two guys talking back and forth part. If you like MMA, you're welcome to join us

I just had a look and all I took from it was it's pretty much just two assholes talking back and forth, one of those twats uses a irritating coloured font, and it's probably the driest most tedious discussion I've ever seen.... I'll assume you mean the two guys talking back and forth part. If you like MMA, you're welcome to join us

It was a joke, relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom