The List Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - All GA Line Drama Discussions Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Choose Your Own Adventure answers? Those actually sound kind of fun! :lol:

All I know is that I was able to get to the Omaha show an hour before doors opened and had a pretty nice spot near the main stage, behind about 4 or so rows of people to both the main stage and catwalk. Other than getting an occasional hand in one of my pictures or having a rail to lean on at times, it was very similar to the experiences I had near the rail. And at times, I even had a decent amount of space around me as people moved back and forth. I probably could have been one or two rows off the e-stage too, if that strikes people's fancy!

But yeah, I was happy with how it worked out this time around. Being able to drive in the day of the show, get in line an hour beforehand, and getting a spot behind a guy with #198 written on his hand... I mean, I've done the line before and I never had drama with anyone personally. But I wouldn't be too sad if I never had to do it again. For many, it can work out regardless of what time you get there.

Yea I mean this stage setup allows you to walk in 15 minutes before they hit the stage and be within 5 to 10 feet of some portion of the floor. It makes lining up all day and dealing with these issues less important.

That said, there are still many out there who have never had a rail spot and would love that experience, and it's only fair to give every GA ticket buyers that same equal shot - rather than limiting it to a small portion.

Case in point... The DC Facebook page is closed. You have to be approved to enter. There are only 273 people who are members of the group, yet the GA floor fits about 2k per night, so around 4k on all over the 2 night stand.

That means that 93% of GA tickets aren't represented in the group that will be pushing out the information about the check in process. Even if you double that number (assuming most people are coming with one other person) thats still 87% of GA ticket holders who won't be given the option to choose what they do or don't want to do.

There is no world where that is fair.

If everyone knew, it would be quite easy for people who live in the area to just pop over and "check in"... especially for the Sunday show, where nobody would have to worry about having to take the day off to wait on show day. But even if the check ins are on a week day, it's not crazy to hop over to the arena on your way to work and once more on your way back. Capital One Arena sits on top of two Metro lines.

Last edited:
Yea I mean this stage setup allows you to walk in 15 minutes before they hit the stage and be within 5 to 10 feet of some portion of the floor. It makes lining up all day and dealing with these issues less important.

That said, there are still many out there who have never had a rail spot and would love that experience, and it's only fair to give every GA ticket buyers that same equal shot - rather than limiting it to a small portion.

Case in point... The DC Facebook page is closed. You have to be approved to enter. There are only 273 people who are members of the group, yet the GA floor fits about 2k per night, so around 4k on all over the 2 night stand.

That means that 93% of GA tickets aren't represented in the group that will be pushing out the information about the check in process. Even if you double that number (assuming most people are coming with one other person) thats still 87% of GA ticket holders who won't be given the option to choose what they do or don't want to do.

If everyone knew, it would be quite easy for people who live in the area to just pop over and "check in"... especially for the Sunday show, where nobody would have to worry about having to take the day off to wait on show day. But even if the check instead are on a week day, it's not crazy to hop over to the arena on your way to work and once more on your way back. Capital One Arena sits on top of two Metro lines.

This is the thing isn't it. Not a soul would bother queuing in person if they actually knew of the check-in procedure. But because it is not widely publicised, people show up and expect that they will get a rail for their time, only to find Fucko McCunnamulla waltzes in with his list and reckons that if you hadn't found his private Facebook group then maybe you'd be happier with seats.

Obviously it is not publicised, so that the usual types get the rail each and every damn time. Because tonight, at last, Bono is going to look them in the eye and express his undying love.

Maybe, Fucko McCunnamulla, you should sit the hell down on one of those seats and listen to everybody around you for a change.

Would you anti-list folks get mad at someone who camped out overnight in front of the venue and was first in line? After all, they're not following venue policy. The fact that some random dude decided to camp out in front of the venue and start a line wasn't communicated to all GA ticket holders yet somehow that's okay for y'all.

Also, in all the shows I've done, I've never seen anyone have their name put on a list without being there in person. I have seen top 20 spots held for people who agree to do shifts, and I've seen Nate speak out forcefully when people who went to night 1 were given top 20 spots because they agreed to do shifts instead of giving those top 20 spots to people who were only doing night 2. I've also seen Nate advocate for local folks starting lines during the previous show so that local folks have a fair shot of getting lower numbers before the tour regulars roll into town. So much of the bashing of the list folks is simply based on false information and misconceptions of how lists are actually run. Not to mention that Nate has been an advocate against check-in windows in favor of hard check-ins 3 times a day, to make it more akin to actually lining up.

Would you anti-list folks get mad at someone who camped out overnight in front of the venue and was first in line? After all, they're not following venue policy. The fact that some random dude decided to camp out in front of the venue and start a line wasn't communicated to all GA ticket holders yet somehow that's okay for y'all.

Also, in all the shows I've done, I've never seen anyone have their name put on a list without being there in person. I have seen top 20 spots held for people who agree to do shifts, and I've seen Nate speak out forcefully when people who went to night 1 were given top 20 spots because they agreed to do shifts instead of giving those top 20 spots to people who were only doing night 2. I've also seen Nate advocate for local folks starting lines during the previous show so that local folks have a fair shot of getting lower numbers before the tour regulars roll into town. So much of the bashing of the list folks is simply based on false information and misconceptions of how lists are actually run. Not to mention that Nate has been an advocate against check-in windows in favor of hard check-ins 3 times a day, to make it more akin to actually lining up.

I'm not sure how you wrote all of that and are still unable to see the problem.

No "shifts" ... no "check-ins"... no "lists." You come and line-up and have to stay in line the whole time (except for bathroom breaks). If you can't stay in line the whole time then you lose your spot. Obviously if you need to run across the street and grab a burger or something, I'm sure people around you in line would be fine.

Other than that, it goes back to the lines of old days.

Why would people get mad at someone showing up and staying? That happens at any gig. Everyone knows people show up a night early (maybe two in the case of an opening night) and stay.

I think you're deliberately missing the point here. Anyone buying a ticket for a huge band knows there are going to be people lining up early.

What they dont know is that at U2 gigs, the people showing up early don’t stay. They leave. They do "check ins", sleep soundly in a hotel and attend tribute band gigs with their number still on their hands when they should be at the venue putting in the hours for the spot they think they deserve.

That means when Joe And Jane Bloggs show up at the venue at 10AM on show day for example they're surprised when dozens of well rested people show up in dribs and drabs throughout the day and say "excuse me, we're ahead of you because we reserved a spot 2 days before".

THAT is what needs to be communicated to all ticket holders. This stupid system isn't queuing (no matter what they tell you) and it needs to come to an end. It's not a fan service, it's not done for the love of hanging out with the U2 family, it's about wanting something they're not willing to put the time in for, but not wanting anyone else to have a chance either.

Last edited:

Sigh

If everyone knew, it would be quite easy for people who live in the area to just pop over and "check in"... especially for the Sunday show, where nobody would have to worry about having to take the day off to wait on show day. But even if the check ins are on a week day, it's not crazy to hop over to the arena on your way to work and once more on your way back. Capital One Arena sits on top of two Metro lines.
I'm not against any system. I'm against things being unfair.

The system is not unfair to me, because I know of it. It's unfair to the majority, who don't.

Whatever the system is going forward, it should be one that is universal across all venues and communicated to every single GA ticket holder by band management.

Shy of that, the only fair thing to do is to follow venue issued rules.

Yeah, venue rules which are thrown out again and again because it means line runners don't get their way and go crying to the bands management.

And I very much doubt these gatekeepers are going to share their direct line to the bands management or security so anyone else can make their feelings known.

I feel like a bit of an idiot for typing so much actually, I mean there's a good chance that was another drive by and there's no intention of coming back and engaging with any of this. :ohmy:

I feel like a bit of an idiot for typing so much actually, I mean there's a good chance that was another drive by and there's no intention of coming back and engaging with any of this. :ohmy:

Don't feel bad. It was very succinct and well said. So I know at least I'll reference back to it in the future!

Why would people get mad at someone showing up and staying? That happens at any gig. Everyone knows people show up a night early (maybe two in the case of an opening night) and stay.

I think you're deliberately missing the point here. Anyone buying a ticket for a huge band knows there are going to be people lining up early.

What they dont know is that at U2 gigs, the people showing up early don’t stay. They leave. They do "check ins", sleep soundly in a hotel and attend tribute band gigs with their number still on their hands when they should be at the venue putting in the hours for the spot they think they deserve.

That means when Joe And Jane Bloggs show up at the venue at 10AM on show day for example they're surprised when dozens of well rested people show up in dribs and drabs throughout the day and say "excuse me, we're ahead of you because we reserved a spot 2 days before".

THAT is what needs to be communicated to all ticket holders. This stupid system isn't queuing (no matter what they tell you) and it needs to come to an end. It's not a fan service, it's not done for the love of hanging out with the U2 family, it's about wanting something they're not willing to put the time in for, but not wanting anyone else to have a chance either.

Venues will not allow camping onsite due to liability and safety issues. That is why the check-in system developed. Many list regulars would like to go back to the days of camping, but it's not possible. Venues like the list because it means they a) don't have 50-100 on their property overnight and b) they have a way to get the 200-300 people who show up in the morning the day of the show in order. If venues don't allow camping and a list is not done, how are you going to get 200-300 people who all want to be number 1 in order at 6am? The only solution I can see is a Springsteen style lottery, which comes with its own set of problems.

If people wanted to line up early with the list system all they'd have to do is walk around the venue until they found the list. It's really not that difficult. It's the same as walking around the venue to find someone camping. Camping isn't communicated to all ticket holders and is explicitly against venue rules yet somehow that would be okay.

If people wanted to line up early with the list system all they'd have to do is walk around the venue until they found the list. It's really not that difficult. It's the same as walking around the venue to find someone camping. Camping isn't communicated to all ticket holders and is explicitly against venue rules yet somehow that would be okay.

Except when the list is outside a Dunkin Donuts a half mile away.

Sorry just to clarify, when you say camping do you mean just staying in one spot either sat on the floor or with a chair or something, or an actual tent on the venue? (i realise that sounds facetious)

Also you didn't address the check ins.

I get that venues don't want people on their property too early for a bunch of reasons but why don't people just like up off site and stay in that line?

The list means everyone is numbered so they can save their spot when in a bathroom/food break and when it's time for the line to move to the venue the fastest people can't just sprint to the venue and steal the #1 spot.

That is what a list of numbers is definitely good for. Having someone sat in a car park for 2 days saving you a spot is not.

Sorry just to clarify, when you say camping do you mean just staying in one spot either sat on the floor or with a chair or something, or an actual tent on the venue? (i realise that sounds facetious)

Also you didn't address the check ins.

I get that venues don't want people on their property too early for a bunch of reasons but why don't people just like up off site and stay in that line?

The list means everyone is numbered so they can save their spot when in a bathroom/food break and when it's time for the line to move to the venue the fastest people can't just sprint to the venue and steal the #1 spot.

That is what a list of numbers is definitely good for. Having someone sat in a car park for 2 days saving you a spot is not.

I think what we're saying is it needs to be one or the other, but it needs to be fair. Either camp out overnight, or a uniform check in procedure that's sanctioned by U2, the venue, and is clear to every person buying a GA ticket.

I don't think most people here are for actually camping out, just stating that it would be a fair option.

I think what we're saying is it needs to be one or the other, but it needs to be fair. Either camp out overnight, or a uniform check in procedure that's sanctioned by U2, the venue, and is clear to every person buying a GA ticket.

I don't think most people here are for actually camping out, just stating that it would be a fair option.
This times a million.

If Nate is the ambassador for the local folks you claim he is, he should have stated that here when he decided to join the discussion rather than just post that everyone here is a hater. We're more than willing to hear him out and discuss the system and ways to make it fairer for all. He certainly didn't do that, his go to response when anyone questions things has always been to tell them that they might prefer reserved seats. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

"I've never seen anyone have their name put on a list without being there in person."

Well, we know this has happened on numerous occasions.

Clearly there have been people who have "signed up for a shift" who weren't there when the list started, yet end up in the top 20.

This is inherently unfair. There are many people who would certainly be interested in doing a shift if the information was more readily available who could actually be there when the list starts.

People need to not deny that this happens. It does.

For what it's worth I just got an email from the Bridgestone Arena clarifying the check-in procedure.

Check-in starts at fucking 6 am on THURSDAY. Then ends at noon on Saturday. And people have to be lined up by 4:30 pm.

On one hand, it is an email to all so everyone is informed. On the otherhand.... just let people line up starting at, like, 6 am day of show and they have to stay there (minus potty breaks). If they line up before then just shoo them off.

Looks like you guys are advocating for something like this, which was just sent out by Bridgestone Arena (with whom the local fan line leader has been communicating with for several weeks now)
unMxB2LMOi1Tl07GK0CazOUq_XIYQI15iJn7XSOV7ue-4ES3xLoPcCH2aWvCtjYzJP1uACiJtqUGNY9B9vhcfDyGkMZPnXnEBmC1tHleDvvHcLHcKZgAUDsO77aVJAApzGStn9DSawUlAKCihpvqtyYv26ca=s0-d-e1-ft

For what it's worth I just got an email from the Bridgestone Arena clarifying the check-in procedure.

Check-in starts at fucking 6 am on THURSDAY. Then ends at noon on Saturday. And people have to be lined up by 4:30 pm.

On one hand, it is an email to all so everyone is informed. On the otherhand.... just let people line up starting at, like, 6 am day of show and they have to stay there (minus potty breaks). If they line up before then just shoo them off.

From the email though, it doesn't appear they want a line up until noon on the day of the show.

I can't fault someone's want to be ridiculous - but this is public and available to everyone, and kudos to Bridgestone for doing this, and can only hope it catches on...

https://youtu.be/y9TtKP2urws

Now to see how those used to having the information to themselves take it... if it's truly for the community, nobody should have an issue.

Last edited:

Well said gareth - It's not that the system itself doesn't work...it's that it's not fair for everyone who is a possible entrant into the system. Those that come to defend it have to explain how it is fair for everyone attending a U2 show, and I have yet to see that addressed in a compelling argument...

Back
Top Bottom