The first U2 song where you "got it"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bono_212 said:
I realize the song may not be so very popular here, but if it weren't for Stuck, I probably wouldn't be a fan.

Stuck definitely sealed the deal for me...it was one of those right songs at the right time and everything just fell into place. :heart:

^ :mad:

Axver said:
I seriously loved was Bad back when I was 11,

That's mighty fine taste for an 11 year old!!

For me it was City of Blinding Lights. See, I bought Hutdab because I'd heard Vertigo and liked it, and COBL was the track that I absolutely loved to death, as evidenced by the username and the former avatar :wink: which I sorely miss :( However COBL has sunk to about #10 on my list now, though its still five-star!

Then I bought the 80's best of and I was gone...

City of Blinding Lights. Was never much of a music fan in the first place and never realized it could be so magical.

COBL_04 said:

You got into them with HTDAAB! You will never understand how it felt like to hear a song like Stuck coming out of U2 after being exposed to and enjoying Achtung, Zooropa and Pop.

I think it's an okay song. I enjoy the melody esp. when I'm in that ATYCLB mood. That said, the acoustic version is better IMO. What I think is even better is that awesome mix Interferencer Jick made by combining the 2 versions. The mix starts off acoustic and goes to album, switching a couple times before ending with acoustic. It's hands down my favorite version!

Zootlesque said:
I think it's an okay song. I enjoy the melody esp. when I'm in that ATYCLB mood. That said, the acoustic version is better IMO. What I think is even better is that awesome mix Interferencer Jick made by combining the 2 versions. The mix starts off acoustic and goes to album, switching a couple times before ending with acoustic. It's hands down my favorite version!

The acoustic version that ends in full band like a number of the Vertigo performances does it for me.

That said, i love the album and Elevation versions

I also like the Football video for it

For Me "Walk On" Then The Almight "The Fly":drool: oh and I can't forget Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me.

Today my favorite song of all time "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of." personal to me.

And the entire JT:drool: The masterpiece of the 80's and today.

It's been so long ago, I really can't remember! :huh: But what really turned me into a rabid "believer" was seeing/hearing my first "Bad", at Notre Dame, October 10, 2001. That whole show was an eye-opener/heart-wrencher.

I'm 36 years old, so, my first exposure was early on in the band's career. Heard songs from October via a friend's brother before anything else...then went backwards to Boy through the same friend, bought War when it was new, my first ever album purchase < I'm lying, my first ever was Asia by Asia, this was 2nd...if you don't like "only time will tell" then I don't know what ot say to you :) >....and liked it all, was fun getting into bands like that at a young age.....but, for whatever reason, A Sort of Homecoming is the song that took me from the casual use of the word "fan" to true fanatic. The whole album captivated me, especially side one (when sides meant something), but hearing that song in particular had a major impact on me. To this day, it gives me the chills, I love it. And to go from there to JT and AB, wow.

It's rewarding to have had something so positive and joyful in my life for this long. Through late grade school, HS, college, jobs, births, deaths, relationships starting, ending, traveling, moving to the other side of the country, all of it....dorky as usual, me, but, it's how I feel. That's why I shake my head when people talk about how disappointing HTDAAB is, or ATYCLB. Those albums don't reach the heights prior albums did, at least not to me. But, how can I be disappointed? There are still magical experiences to be had on both albums, and, bottom line, the band don't owe me shit, because they've given me more spine tingling moments than I could ever count, and when I see them Live, they still do.

Well to explain better (the reason I didn't is because I've said this about a thousand times since I've joined interference), I thought Beautiful Day was one of the worst song's ever when it first came out (Yes, I've changed my mind since then) and I couldn't understand all the hype about "U2's big comeback" since I'd never even heard of them before then (keep in mind I was 12 at the time) and also at this time I was REALLY into music and music videos, and I used to watch TRL a lot, so I actually saw the Beautiful Day performance on top of MTV's building, but didn't appreciate that I saw it until some day later, but I was so sick of hearing about how great these guys were with such a song as an example that I got really curious about what else they sang, but I didn't do anything about looking into them until I heard Stuck, its' on of those songs that I get all sappy about, and have a soft spot for, and after that, I had to know everything about them, and so that's why I got ATYCLB, and the best of 1980-90 and from that point on I was sold, that's why no matter what anyone else says, or how anyone else feels, Stuck is always going to have a special place in my heart, without it, I never would have fallin in love with U2, and for that same reason that is why ATYCLB will always be one of my favoirte albums, no it's NOT their best, but it's important to me, and I treasure it....anyway, that's all...:reject:

(God that was such a run-on sentence)

Last edited:
Staring at the Sun

I still remember the road I was driving on when I heard it on the radio for the first time. I was dying for some new music so I stopped by a music store on my way to work that afternoon to buy Pop. I was into heavy metal instead of U2 until that point and couldn't stand any other type of music. That song changed everything for me. :love: All of my friends were totally into U2 during the Joshua Tree tour and I turned down tickets to see that concert and Zoo TV because I thought U2 "sucked" :scream:

I basically listened to that one song for 3 years until I bought the first Best Of. I never thought to buy any of their actual albums until I heard them on a compilation cd. :der: But until I bought other U2 stuff, I was completely obsessed with that one song. I still love it.

oh...I see I've read the thread wrong....I thought it was when I first started listening to U2. :der: Well aside from the above song, it was probably in 2000 when I first watched Under a Blood Red Sky. I watched October and New Year's Day over and over. That same night I watched Zoo TV. That was enough for me to go out and buy everything U2 I could get my hands on.

Last edited:
ok... si I loved Batman...

and I really liked "that batman song"...

there was also that "bar song" I kept seeing on this music station here..

one day my brother came really early and told me to play MTV... it was Discotheque's premiere... but I kinda heard it, kinda fell asleep.

one day listening in the radio I really liked some guitar parts in discotheque...

and then... out comes STARING AT THE SUN... :love:

I was hooked... I was gone... that did it... the song, the video, everything, it was perfect, still is...

on June 8th, 97, my birthday, I bought my first CD ever: U2 POP... :love:

Bought Boy the week it was released. Never listened to it. Huge missed opportunity. :(

When SBS was played on the radio constantly I got sick of it and decided not to listen to anymore u2. Huge missed opportunity. :(

With or Without You. Still my favorite, and has never changed. :drool:

I really don't remember, it was a gradual thing with me, having known some of their music here and there but I wasn't big into music, but when the great singles kept coming off of ATYCLB, "Walk On" especially, the obsession began between that and the Bomb, got that the day of, collecting every other release until I went to see them, then got more and more of their DVDs, and VHS and have all of those now, now it's constantly listening to bootlegs and finding rare tracks.

Zootlesque said:

ah Jick.... :(

Care to send them on? :wink: thefonz_29@hotmail.com

seeing Even better than the real thing on video hits for the first time is burned into my brain !!! and from then it was taping every u2 song off the radio :giggle: One got played over and over ... then working through the catelouge and finding the songs i knew all along that were from u2 anyway from years earlier, like SBS and NYD and Streets, realising my lifelong obssesion was meant to be :drool:

:crazy: sorry im rambling ........ what was the question ????
oh yeah - Even better than the real thing ! then One .

I used to listen to Rattle & Hum, Under a Blood Red Sky etc. on my walkman in the car on the way to my Grandma's. There's nothing better than closing your eyes and totally immersing yourself in the music. I completely fell in love with them on those long trips to Terang. The song that tipped me over the edge in those days was Party Girl, probably not their best song ever but at 13 I loved it.

Zootlesque said:
Does the mix have the line "I never thought you were a fool, but darling look at you"? The omission of that line is the only thing that killed the official acoustic version for me. That's my favourite line, and the acoustic version sounds SO good, but without that line, I can't love it :( So please tell me it has that line, and if so, I want it :)

Now my turn for my story. I was a late U2 bloomer. I listened to them a bit growing up. My brother even had Zooropa on cassette, but I got older and I got into other things and I kind of forgot they existed. Now, most people my age would've gotten into U2 with ATYCLB, but I was living under a rock at the time. Let me give you an example of how deep under that rock I was: I never heard Beautiful Day until after HTDAAB came out. Whatever I was doing at the time, I was completely oblivious to everything U2 were doing.
So I didn't get into U2 until Vertigo. My mom saw the iPod ad and was all like "OMG U2! I loved them in the 80s!" and made me find the video online for her to watch. So when I listened to it the first time, the end of the song caught my attention, when Bono started singing about kneeling, and I recognized it as a reference to praying, and I was like "Since when do huge mainstream rock bands sing about stuff like that?" except it was more than that because I'd heard years prior that they were Christians, and I was struggling with my own issues with religion. And I know I'm rambling on here, but THAT was what got me interested in U2, and made me start looking biographies up online, and re-listening to all the U2 songs I knew from the 90s, and then the ones my mom knew from the 80s.

But drawing to a point. The first song that I really fell in love with was Miracle Drug. HTDAAB was the first U2 album I bought, although by then I'd already refreshed my memory of every U2 song I'd ever heard of (I think there were about a dozen on my list), and although I'd heard Vertigo first, it was Miracle Drug that sucked me in. I fell head over heels in love with the verse: "I am you and you are mine, love makes nonsense of space and time will disappear, love and logic keep us clear, reason is on our side, love"

But as far as my immediate love for HTDAAB goes, I bought Achtung Baby and Pop two months later. On the same day. And then I stopped liking HTDAAB because AB and Pop were sooo much better :lol: I was a true Interferncer before I ever knew this site existed :wink:

New Years Day. I considered guitar rock was dead at this point in 1984 until I heard that classic bassline, killer guitar & drums & then that voice. Then I thought... rock and roll will never die!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom