The first U2 song where you "got it"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
catlhere said:
Streets on Rattle And Hum :eek:

Never had a favorite musical group, but I liked U2's music. I only knew more of the popular singles and some of the other tracks off cassette tapes my mom had bought when she was a huge fan in the 80's. But as soon as I saw the whole clip of them walking out across a blood red backdrop and the slow build-up to those flood lights turning on and hearing everyone go crazy, I thought "OK this is my band!"

It's the most spine-tingling U2 moment ever, IMO.

For me it was Bad from Wide Awake In America. I heard that late one night on the radio in either '97 or '98, when I was 13 or 14.. Previous to that I did own a few U2 albums, but was not a fanatic by any means. I knew about the hits like Streets and New Years' Day, but was completely unaware of the depth to their catalog.

One. I knew some JT songs, and SBS and NYD but it didn't really take off until I heard AB.

before becoming a hardcore fan, i had heard the usual singles on the radio, from NYD up to Angel of Harlem. the song that i instantly understood was WOWY. i knew it wasn't the "lovesong" that everyone was making it out to be. i knew it had a different/deeper meaning.
after becoming a fan, achtung baby was the first album i understood right away, from the first listen.

:wink: Well....by now you should know it, I had heard "I Will Follow" and seen the video for it. But when I saw 'Gloria 'video on MTV every 30 minutes...I was hooked on the song, the Band, and that Blue eyed singer...Bono!:yes: :sexywink: :heart: Still love their music, the Band and that Man!!:rockon:

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
What single U2 track clicked for you, and sent you into that spiral of fandom. The one song which you kept listening to over and over and over when you first heard it.

For me, it's In God's Country. They never have and never will record something like that ever again.

I saw the videos for Gloria (I think) and definately thought the Mad Max-esque New Years Day was cool and the Red Rocks SBS was decent. They were right on the verge of roping me in until Pride came out which I thought sucked (Still not a favorite). Then came With or Without You. Saw the world premier video (with a boobie in it no less!) and off I went; my mind was absolutely blown by that song and the rest of the Joshua Tree.

Last edited:
it was the rattle and hum movie

intro into streets and streets

bono's rant in SBS

and sympathy for the devil in bad, edge in slow motion in bad, bono wrapping his arms around adam at the end of bad.

That was it for me. I was finished.

see ya pearl jam, see ya soundgarden, see ya nirvana.

It was Eletric Co for me. My brother had the casette but had disowned it so it was my first proper album. I used to sit with it on my old mono tape recorder and play the intro over and over again. Thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Never looked back!

For me, it was Vertigo, this song made me really interested in U2,Everyday I sat behind TV, watched Vh1 and waited when they would play Vertigo. Now I don't listen to it anymore because I realized what an awful song it is, and what bad lyrics it has. But it will still stay as a song that made me fan of this band.

I don't actually remember. I do remember my first band was Springsteen, and after that...maybe it was the Joshua Tree. That was my first album by U2, after having the two Best Of's before that. I think the song may have actually been Red Hill Mining Town.

For me it kind of went in stages.

The first was when I was 17. I went to Best Buy without any specific album in mind (I'd just bought a CD player for my car), and stopped when I saw the Joshua Tree. I'd heard U2 on the radio before (who hasn't?) and thought that they were pretty good, so I took a chance and bought the album. Listening to ISHFWILF on the way home, it hit my like a ton of bricks. I'd heard the song before, but for some reason it really clicked with me then. It's still one of my favorites to this day. I thought RTSS was really amazing as well.

Fast-forward a year or so. I saw U2 on the VH1 My Music Awards performing Beautiful Day. Again, I'd heard the song before, but naturally the performance was amazing. I got ATYCLB for Christmas.

Five years after that, I had JT, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB. I went to see U2 live. Even though I only had three albums, I was shocked that I knew nearly every song they played. One of the few I didn't know was the closer -- Bad. It completely blew my mind. It was a nine-minute version and I didn't want it to end. U2 became my favorite band at that point, and I decided right then and there that I'd go out and buy all of their albums. Bad is still my favorite song.

The next morning I'm driving to work, and one of our radio stations was doing an all-U2 weekend. They played TTTYAATW. Me: "THIS is U2? Whoa." I wasn't expecting something that sounded like that, because I was pretty ignorant of their 90s work other than One and Mysterious Ways. I got off work, went out and bought Achtung Baby, and thus began the obsession.

For me it was a friend playing the first 30 seconds of each of the songs on this new album he got called "Achtung Baby."

That alone was incredible. Then I actually heard the album. :drool:

I realize the song may not be so very popular here, but if it weren't for Stuck, I probably wouldn't be a fan.

Olov said:
Mysterious Ways. Groooovy.

You know, I just may have to change my pick to this. That or The Fly. Achtung was my first actual U2 album (I had Best of 1980-1990 on cassette before that :D ).

It was hearing "Beautiful Day" on the radio that got me interested in them again. I've liked a lot of U2 songs over the years, but for the longest time couldn't put song title and artist together but after that song, I began getting into their music a little bit more.

I was in a store, and had to decide between the Joshua Tree, best of 1980-90, and ATYCLB. I decided with the best of, so I could kinda dig into their past before jumping right into the new album at the time.

Pride was the first song, 'hey, I know this song', I like it. Then I heard "New Year's Day" off the best of 1980-90, that's when it really went off, my fandom. "I know this song too!" That became my favourite song, then I heard the album version on the radio, had to get the album cos I loved the longer version more than the edited version.

Last edited:
:hmm: If I remember correctly it was The Fly. I only had ATYCLB back in 2000 and I liked the band. But it was when I saw the Boston DVD and especially Thr Fly thatI decided to explore the band.

I owned and loved Rattle & Hum, but it never kicked me between the legs. The first time they played The Fly on the radio though.... kick between the legs and punch to the face.

I became a fan when I bought my mom the Best of 90-00 for Christmas. I heard Mysterious Ways and decided to look into U2 a little more.

I bought the Zoo TV VHS and when I saw the RTSS-Streets transition, I was hooked. I bought the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby within the next few days and became a huge fanatic.

Back
Top Bottom