The Edge to be on 102.1 the Edge / Alan Cross Reviews 'Get On Your Boots'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was looking forward to "Winter" from Q's description! but its confirmed to be on the soundtrack of that Tobey Maguire film, so we will still hear it, and we get to hear a new U2 album track now, "Tripoli"

WIN/WIN :)

(edit), Oh I misread the last posts!
I though Tripoli was confirmed? :hmm:

Well, we obviously know more than the title. You weaken your opinion by neglecting the facts (and by Lol-ing so much at people):|

either way how could you still be devastated based on a couple descriptions???? maybe the song was shit despite the descriptions or the songs just didn't fit in the album??? and I can LOL all I want ok?? :lol: See?

I was looking forward to "Winter" from Q's description! but its confirmed to be on the soundtrack of that Tobey Maguire film, so we will still hear it, and we get to hear a new U2 album track now, "Tripoli"

WIN/WIN :)

(edit), Oh I misread the last posts!
I though Tripoli was confirmed? :hmm:

I think it will be on the album but if you look at the latest u2 video it does not show on the white board so perhaps will be the UK bonus track.

either way how could you still be devastated based on a couple descriptions???? maybe the song was shit despite the descriptions or the songs just didn't fit in the album??? and I can LOL all I want ok?? :lol: See?

I could just as easily ask you the reverse: how could you not be devastated based on the descriptions? It sounded like the most innovative, intriguing, non-formulaic song U2 has written in years. I can agree that devastated is a strong word, but I'll certainly be disappointed if a song with that type of structure and potential didn't pan out for the album.

I could just as easily ask you the reverse: how could you not be devastated based on the descriptions? It sounded like the most innovative, intriguing, non-formulaic song U2 has written in years. I can agree that devastated is a strong word, but I'll certainly be disappointed if a song with that type of structure and potential didn't pan out for the album.

I am not worried because regardless if it is on the album or not, we will get it, either as a b-side a bonus or on a soundtrack. I wouldn't worry. Remember descriptions are subjective. What one person thinks its the best song ever another person may think otherwise. If truly this song is amazing then we will eventually hear it. I am sure of that!

I am not worried because regardless if it is on the album or not, we will get it, either as a b-side a bonus or on a soundtrack. I wouldn't worry. Remember descriptions are subjective. What one person thinks its the best song ever another person may think otherwise. If truly this song is amazing then we will eventually hear it. I am sure of that!

I mostly agree, but we were never given Mercy--it just leaked. So they won't definitely give it to us. But if the song is too "out there" to fit on the album, I guess it's a good thing (except maybe the album will be more conservative).

Exactly. Their eras/genres explored are very diverse, and not everything is to the liking of every fan (it is to me, I like pretty much everything they've ever done), but one thing they've succeeded at is keeping themselves musically relevant, and no other band with their longevity can say that. They've gained a shitload of new fans in the '00s by recording music that's maybe a bit more accessible and commercially successful, but still better than the vast majority of new music that's out there.

Musically relevant? What does that mean?

Britney Spears is musically relevant too. Relevance means nothing. What matters is quality.

Email from Alan Cross:

"Yes, I intimated to him that I've been more than a little disappointed with U2's work post-2000. So flame me.

Hopefully you didn't use words like "intimated" because it doesn't exist. "Intimate" is being close to someone. And if you are close to Alan Cross, that's great - but perhaps a bit too much information for this forum. :wave:

I think the word you meant was "indicated" or possibly "insinuated".

Either way, it's a shame you don't like post 2000 U2 - lots of great stuff there.

I do feel for Alan though - probably been bombarded with lunatic fans asking him about the song. Hopefully Mr. Cross learned his lesson and will never discuss having heard "new U2" a week or more before the song is released to radio.

Just wondering....Did Allan make any mention to that whole "hip hop twist" in the song that was talked about in either the Q or RS articles? They made it seem so significant, yet I don't remember reading him mentioning it.

Musically relevant? What does that mean?

Britney Spears is musically relevant too. Relevance means nothing. What matters is quality.

'Musically relevant' means that people actually care about it. To use an example, by most standards Peter Gabriel probably is not musically relevant today. That's not to say that there aren't people who love Peter Gabriel today. It only means that his present influence in the music world has diminished. 'Quality' is an entirely different question, but it's an extremely murky one. Most people would agree that some music is more quality than other music, but in many cases I think it's very subjective. Usually people who go on about 'quality' hold very 'unpopular' opinions about music and can't stand that the music they like isn't 'musically relevant.' As a result, they end up proclaiming to the world that their taste in music is superior, which gets them called 'snobs' and 'elitists.' While it's possible the vast majority of people have a poorer taste in music than these so-called snobs, the music that they like probably moves them just as much as the 'quality' music the snobs enjoy. This is what I get from seeing the endless arguments about this at least.

My opinion in a nutshell:wink:

Just wondering....Did Allan make any mention to that whole "hip hop twist" in the song that was talked about in either the Q or RS articles? They made it seem so significant, yet I don't remember reading him mentioning it.

no, but you can definately here it in the beach clip if you listen for it. It's around the solo, cant figure times atm..

I mostly agree, but we were never given Mercy--it just leaked. So they won't definitely give it to us. But if the song is too "out there" to fit on the album, I guess it's a good thing (except maybe the album will be more conservative).

I agree with you. But you never know Mercy may at one point still be released as a reworked version. Don't forget (if I remember correctly) COBL was a song from the POP sessions (and possibly very different back then) and yet it was released 2 albums later. Then again U2 may not have released Mercy because it has been leaked and they know it has. Infact (again if i remember correctly) I think U2 intentionally leaked Mercy since they gave it to a fan on a CD. Correct me if I am wrong. For all we know, if there is to be a a third best-of excluding U218, if we do get a 2000-2010 they usually release 2 new songs or atleast 1 so they could both release Mercy and Tripoli (or Winter) in that compilation.

I agree with you. But you never know Mercy may at one point still be released as a reworked version. Don't forget (if I remember correctly) COBL was a song from the POP sessions (and possibly very different back then) and yet it was released 2 albums later. Then again U2 may not have released Mercy because it has been leaked and they know it has. Infact (again if i remember correctly) I think U2 intentionally leaked Mercy since they gave it to a fan on a CD. Correct me if I am wrong. For all we know, if there is to be a a third best-of excluding U218, if we do get a 2000-2010 they usually release 2 new songs or atleast 1 so they could both release Mercy and Tripoli (or Winter) in that compilation.

ATM that compilation will pobably have

Walk On
Elevation
Kite
Vertigo
Sometimes
OOTS
COBL
WITS
TSAC
4 singles form this album
2 new songs (Winter, Tripoli, Mercy or something else)

'Musically relevant' means that people actually care about it. To use an example, by most standards Peter Gabriel probably is not musically relevant today. That's not to say that there aren't people who love Peter Gabriel today. It only means that his present influence in the music world has diminished. 'Quality' is an entirely different question, but it's an extremely murky one. Most people would agree that some music is more quality than other music, but in many cases I think it's very subjective. Usually people who go on about 'quality' hold very 'unpopular' opinions about music and can't stand that the music they like isn't 'musically relevant.' As a result, they end up proclaiming to the world that their taste in music is superior, which gets them called 'snobs' and 'elitists.' While it's possible the vast majority of people have a poorer taste in music than these so-called snobs, the music that they like probably moves them just as much as the 'quality' music the snobs enjoy. This is what I get from seeing the endless arguments about this at least.

My opinion in a nutshell:wink:

LOL, it's funny you'd say that because Peter Gabriel probably makes my favorite music after U2.

I just don't think people should worry about U2's popularity. U2 will always be popular. Maybe not "biggest band in the world" popular, but I think the goal should be to have artistically bold, creative music rather than trying to win a popularity contest.

Anyways, the review sounds interesting. I guess I like what I hear, although the fact that he didn't seem too happy with it was a little disappointing. I'm just glad he said it sounds different and he kind of had the WTF?? response similar to when he heard The Fly. All I wanted to hear was that it's different. I'm not interested in getting a new song as much as I'm super curious to hear the new sound.

no, but you can definately here it in the beach clip if you listen for it. It's around the solo, cant figure times atm..

That other guy that heard it did talk about some drum loop mid tempo change in the middle of the song, so maybe thats it.

Well, anythings possible....so I agree Mercy could reappear in some different incarnation. Hey, I'm all for it. My only problem with it are the lyrics. So maybe Bono could have gone back and reworked it or something.

Back
Top Bottom